FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TTm scale Belgian Vicinal bicabine steam tramway

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biased turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: TTm scale Belgian Vicinal bicabine steam tramway Reply with quote

I already built one high sided wagon, and I need some bicabine steam tramway to haul it.
I started with a Bachmann N scale 3 axles Plymouth frame
The body was built using Plastruct sheet styrene and strips.
Here are some pictures about the building process:

Detail of the roof:

Project almost ( 90% ) completed, I'm waiting for the Plastruct tubes to build the smokestack and the lantern.

The TT scale conductor is from Noch

As a reference here is a picture of the bicabine compared to other TT scale engines

A reference of the prototype

Jacques
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! Well done!

TT is such a nice scale to work with.......not as minuscule as N , not as bulky as 4 mm.....the plus side is, fatfingers don't suffer so much, yet, the scale is small enough to allow omission of excruciating detail without affecting the overall appearance of the model.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed. I look forward to seeing what else comes along in your tramway project.
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very neat: if I could build that well (or that fast) I'd be very happy...
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Brilliant! Well done!

TT is such a nice scale to work with.......not as minuscule as N , not as bulky as 4 mm.....

I've long thought the same about S Scale - not as small as OO/HO, but not so bulky as 7mm.... and Chris Ellis's US layout in MTI was tempting.
If only it wasn't either such a total Scratchbuilder's scale in UK outline, or the US outline R-T-R that is available wasn't as expensive as O Scale, if not more so!! Sad
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When freelancing narrow gauge there's always going to be a lot of scratch building or kitbashing. Potential advantages I see with 1:64, in addition to OO track being about right for 3ft gauge, are that a lot of die cast vehicles appear to be at or around this scale so can be of use as bashes for railcars, or as scenic accessories, and wargaming buildings and figures at 28mm scale are a close match.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"JordanI've long thought the same about S Scale - not as small as OO/HO, but not so bulky as 7mm.... and Chris Ellis's US layout in MTI was tempting.
If only it wasn't either such a total Scratchbuilder's scale in UK outline, or the US outline R-T-R that is available wasn't as expensive as O Scale, if not more so!! Sad

It needn't be expensive as Chris's articles showed - just a bit of kitbashing needed. My Javanese layout was a case in point - most of it was straight HO models with some added body width, plus a bit of styrene. What put me off in the end was the lack of any figures that would look suitably tropical
Biased turkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curving the roof around a beer bottle using some string , then immersing it in some boiling water for 10 minutes

Jacques
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Potential advantages I see with 1:64, in addition to OO track being about right for 3ft gauge,

more like 3 foot 6 inches or so....[Sn3 1/2?]

This is a problem I am mulling over......I have stock, and like, ON30....I am trying to 'convert' stock to 1:48 scale from HO and OO...[going to 1:43/7mm scasle is pushing it IMHO for larger narrow gauge stuff].........but I have stuff like the Mantua diseasels, HO MDC Shays, etc....which don't easily convert to the larger scale......

what to do...oh what to do?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do sincerely hope you removed the contents from the bottle before immersing it in hot water. It's only meant to be the British who are supposed to like warm beer. Shocked

Point of order on that though, warm means room temperature before central heating was invented - much as it does with red wine not being chilled before consumption.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
mog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it .. I like it a lot. I'm a fan of 3mm and / or TT.. tried the former, collected some of the latter..

Love these kind of trams too.. nice work Smile

Mogtrains2 at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.com/
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKcRvdN719g66eDzc2iUN1w
Biased turkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Alastair, Giles, Andy, Jordan , Bob and Martin for taking some of your time to reply and for the comments and suggestions.
About the roof radius, it happens that the bottle of Rochefort Trappistes ale has the perfect radius for the roof curve ( What a lucky coincidence ).In Belgium the trappiste monks don't waste time with such futile things such as praying, they brew )
Smile

Alastair: In reality, TTm scale is just N scale in disguise.

Jordan: I thought about S Scale too, but I quickly dismissed the idea because of the lack of structures end figures in S scale.

There is another attractive option: HOm scale built on TT scale frames.

Living in an apartment, I know that the maximum allowed space for my layout will be on an Ikea "Ivar" L shaped shelf.

Jacques
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: