FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help with Peco PL-13 polarity frog switch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biased turkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Please help with Peco PL-13 polarity frog switch. Reply with quote

I use Peco N scale streamline universal code 80 medium radius electrofrog turnouts.
SL-E395 medium right hand turnout
SL-E396 medium left hand turnout
and SL-E397 medium radius Y turnout.

I purchased the PL-10 Peco lectrics turnout motor for remote control of those turnouts
At the same time, for reliability to switch frog polarity, I purchased the Accessory switch PL-13 that can be attached to the underside of the PL-10 motor.
The installation notice explains how to mechanically install the PL-10 motor, but there is no mention of how to wire the PL-13 electrical switch to the frog.
So could someone please help me about how to solder wires from the PL-13 to the frog ?
Should I cut some rails for electrical insulation purpose ?

My background? I'm a retired electronic technician.

Thank you in advance.

Jacques
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi...first, the frog [crossing] itself need isolating from the rest of the world...[unless one track is to a dead-end...in which case it won't matter too much for that track...unless you wish to 'isolate' a loco on it?]

Insulating fishplates [peco] or simply, two cuts will do...[might be worth mixing up some araldite to fill the cuts, secures the rails better]...

The slide switch is an 'either-or' type...mine had 3 contacts....one 'out'...and two 'in'...a bit of a look-see will tell you which is the common contact, if you have thrown away the boxes they came in?

simply put a meter across two terminals, move the slide.... if circuit closes, one is the common terminal..if the circuit remains open, the one you haven't tried is the common one.

A problem I had with the peco 'stacking' set up is....if the rod or wire used to move the turnout blades is a bit thin, sometimes movement of the motor doesn't move the slide switch all the way across.

But I have had 4 of them stacked under a motor before now.......[complex double junction, home-made]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: