FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Withyn Reach" minimum space O scale layout
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, Jordan. Was the narrow boat inspired by one of the past MTI centre-folds? Someone was asking recently what use readers made of these - here's the answer, perhaps.
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, Giles, indeed it was. i can't recall which MTI in particular, but there was one about similar 'open' buttys (or 'joeys' as they were also called, apparently) which was very useful when I built this one. Smile
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1A92? Are you running express passenger trains these days Jordan?

I see what you want the 45 113 numbers for now. Razz

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are just the headcodes it comes with... Somewhat perverse in a way, seeing as it comes un-numbered Rolling Eyes
i'll be giving it the 'two dots' black panels eventually.
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the Thread about this layout over on RMweb was revived by the interest of some new members, I might as well take the chance to update this thread too, as Withyn Reach is still alive and well...

First, my lad liked the look of the Ixion Hudswell-Clarke, and being the soft touch I am, we traded in some HO locos for one...

Now the general idea of the typical movements/sequence for the exchange of trains between B.R. and the Private Railway (as yet still un-named Embarassed )

We start with the Barclay waiting on the old Wharf with an 'Outbound' train, two empty vans and a 16t of scrap metal.

I do hope (having not researched it!!) that the Barclay weighs less than 50 Tons..!!!

As glimpsed in the previous photo, the Hymek has arrived with a couple of inbound wagons, a 16t of coal and empty Tube Open for a collection, and Brake Van.

It runs round the train, collects the Brake Van, and returns to the headshunt behind the hut. Brew time for the Crew Laughing

The Barclay leaves the outbound train and collects the inbound wagons. It then returns to the outbound wagons and pulls them forward clear of the weight restriction, so the Hymek can get them. I know it could do this before collecting the inbounds, but it's extra movement, and based on the assumption that 'offstage' the loop is rather short, and the crossover in favour of the BR tracks to the rear; in other words, to go to the rest of the private system, the Barclay has to leave from the from the front track, if that makes sense...

You'll note that the outbound train is dropped on the point. Real railways seem to block up pointwork like this far more than modellers do!

The Hymek leaves the Brake Van in the headshunt, and comes around to collect the outbound wagons. I still have to fit etched metal numbers! Embarassed

It then goes back on the rear track to collect the Brake Van, and makes ready for departure.

... and thus Withyn Reach returns to the peace and quiet of a little-used & nearly closed freight branch.

For Exhibition, I would bring the Barclay back on scene with another 'outbound' train, before the B.R. train leaves, so there's always something on view.

Finally, Withyn Reach has a couple more residents, from Omen Miniatures; a Shunter has joined Old Bert, and a Goods Guard watches from the verandah of a Lima Toad (which rather embarassingly has lost a lamp iron, and has a broken lower handrail - close up photos are SO cruel!!)...

For now, that's all, folks!!!
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really nice Jordan, it's got a natural realistic feel to it.

Peter
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding fouling the points, I think we tend not to do it is so that the locos don't have to stop on the frogs. In real life there's no reason not to use all the available track as long as the shunt does not require use of the points.

The layout, and stock, are looking good. O scale definitely has a 'presence' that small scales lack.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: