FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it worth destroying an old toy to make a new model?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Is it worth destroying an old toy to make a new model? Reply with quote

The title says it all really. I'm in two minds whether or not to butcher an old Tri-ang four wheeler to make a new On18 coach. The original is overscale, as has been demonstrated by the Editor using one virtually unaltered in S scale, which is why I think it would suitable for an 18 inch gauge vehicle in O scale. Pictures and more details on my blog.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...go for it!

I have been busy thinking of ways to adapt old Tri-ang Transcontinental freight cars into things narrow gauge....especially aiming at 1-48, or 7 mm scale..especially looking at US 2-foot stock for inspiration [Gilpin, for example].

Not sure how to adapt the sundry box cars that I bought for the bogies, though?
Their detail looks more suitable for 1:64 narrow gauge than 1:48!
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth destroying an old toy to make a new model? Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
. I'm in two minds whether or not to butcher an old Tri-ang four wheeler to make a new On18 coach...... Pictures and more details on my blog.

Interesting comparison pictures, Bob. Funnily enough I've been wondering recently about a similar conversion - but to On30. Only reason I won't be going ahead is that I've already collected enough coaches.

Thoughts on the conversion - Once you raise the body high enough for O9 there's a huge gap at the base of the end doors. I'd be inclined to add a thin planked overlay, up to waist height, on either side of the doorway and make a new door; otherwise substitute new Chivers ends. If the latter sounds a good idea but you lack the ends, let me know - I may be able to help.

The new coach should look good at Muston Sands.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth destroying an old toy to make a new model? Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Once you raise the body high enough for O9 there's a huge gap at the base of the end doors. I'd be inclined to add a thin planked overlay, up to waist height, on either side of the doorway and make a new door; otherwise substitute new Chivers ends.

The gap's not that big, about the width of a coffee stirrer. I was going to add a horizontal planks as filler below the ends once I've cut the doors out but hadn't considered using a thin overlay to hide the join. That's an excellent idea, thanks.

The intention is to leave the doorways open and add bench seats along each side. I would like to keep the coach's original width, so Chivers ends would involve a bit more work to get them to fit, but thanks for the offer anyway.

Readers not familiar with Chivers On30 coach kits may be interested to know that each coach comes with not two but four ends, allowing the builder to choose whether or not he wants windows in the ends... This of course leave two spares from each kit which are useful when scratch building.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve been busy in the garage since my post this morning.

Please click here to view the results so far. The coach is not as tall as the Chivers conversions but this is not a problem as long as the passengers remember to keep their heads down. The overall size is about the same as that of the coaching stock on the old Sand Hutton Railway near York which, like my fictional Seaside Line, was also 18 inch gauge.

giles b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth destroying an old toy to make a new model? Reply with quote

[quote="Blackcloud Railways"]
giles b wrote:
Readers not familiar with Chivers On30 coach kits may be interested to know that each coach comes with not two but four ends, allowing the builder to choose whether or not he wants windows in the ends... This of course leave two spares from each kit which are useful when scratch building.

Even better, if you call them and ask nicely, Chivers will sell you part kits at a pro-rata price. I'm about to start on a railcar for which I was sent the sides, ends and roof (only) of a standard coach kit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: