FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avonside Works Hold and Fold (Gold) 4"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dudley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Avonside Works Hold and Fold (Gold) 4" Reply with quote

Have just started my first photo etched kit of a 7mm/ 0 gauge BR Lowmac and on opening the box and seeing the A4 brass fret quickly came to realise that in order to build it to a good standard I would need the right tool(s).

There seemed to be a dearth of 'hold and fold' tools out there that were readily accessible and I eventually went for this one due to build, cost and ease of availability. I should mention now that it cost 48 & 5 p&p (- ouch!) however I used it for half an hour last night - as a trial - and quickly concluded that it's worth its weight in gold! It was also very enjoyable to use.

See > http://www.avonsideworks.com/assets/hf55.jpg

A solid metal (aluminium?) base on four non-slip feet with a smaller metal plate on top held down by a spring tensioned knob. (Two small 'rivets' either side of this prevent the plate from revolving out of register). Loosening or tightening this knob allows our brass fret tab to be slid in between the two plates and the supplied 4" blade or razor blade enables the fret line to be carefully and quickly positioned up against the straightedge. Tighten the knob and bend the main piece up and beyond 90 degrees - voila! Although this is the 4" model I also managed to bend straights longer than this with relative ease.

The other edge of the top plate has various 'fingers' and these are used for staple-like handrails (in all scales), rounds and 'boxes' where four sides need bending up against one another. It really is a most ingenious tool and a little bit of thought on the builder's part will provide new solutions for fine metal working.
I had initially thought that I could easily make my own but having used this I realise that I was a little over-ambitious given that I'd rather be making models. Avonside Works are part of Eileen's Emporium.

Happy modelling Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: