FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A real-life Inglenook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheshire001

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: A real-life Inglenook Reply with quote

I know MTI has a strong affinity with Inglenook-style layouts and it's always nice to have justification for our schemes!

I came across The Scarborough & Whitby Railway - A Centenary Volume by J. Robin Lidster. Rather surprised never to have seen a copy before as we regularly holiday in that area and I have some of the author's other books on this line.

A photo taken at Scalby took my eye. It shows a BR 80000 tank and a couple of wagons which appear to fully occupy one of the sidings in the goods yard. I would estimate from the plan that the siding is c. 45m from point frog to buffers (592mm in OO) with a similar siding alongside. A third siding runs along the back of the platform housing a (camping?) coach in the photo.

Nice station to model anyway, with a single line approaching on a 4-arch viaduct at one end and the 'traditional' scenic block of a road overbridge at the other. I'm pretty sure there was a plan of this station building in one of the other books.

For such a small station, fairly beefy motive power would be usual, the 80000 refered to above, a Hornby L1 plus the usual DMUs. Even an EE type 4(!)

Another great layout that I won't have time to build!
davidbromage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more photos of Scalby and a diagram with scale. Smile

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/scalby/index8.shtml
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/scalby/index10.shtml

http://crjennings.com/Railway%20Structures%20North%20Eastern/Scarborough-Whitby/page%202%20main%20images/SS%20Images%202.html

Cheers
David
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another great layout that I won't have time to build!

A common affliction.... Crying or Very sad Laughing Wink
Cheshire001

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

The first of your links refers to the picture I was talking about. Not seen the second picture before, but note the yard access point is partly on the viaduct [so that it will fit on the baseboard?]

The plan shown in the third link is the same as the plan in my book.

Roy.

And re. Jordan's signature, I have heard people say "I'm bored at home". Clearly they're not railway modellers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: