FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A layout at last? A two-week build!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudderlesshippy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: A layout at last? A two-week build! Reply with quote

Every July a group of SNCF Society members gather at a local member's house to talk trains, play trains and eat mountains of home-made cake.

I've always planned on taking along a small layout to display but apart from a couple of stalled 'bare boards' attempts I've never quite managed it.

So this year I've racked my brains, raided the cupboards and am planning a two-week build that (hopefully) will finally result in something to display.

The component parts are (so far) as follows:
One 890mm x 195mm pine shelf (as regularly recommended in MTI)
A small amount of Fleischmann Profi track
Jouef X73500 railcar
LS Models Y7100 diesel shunter
A couple of Electrotren wagons

So… Wish me luck and look out for photos in the next day or so.

http://rudderlessrailwayramblings.blogspot.co.uk
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Any rough plans drawn up yet or will it be a question of trying out track designs on the actual board - a decided advantage when using sectional trackwork?

890mm long doesn't sound much if a railcar is involved. Any chance of an additional "stick" to give it somewhere off the board to go, or even better, could there be another similar board connected by hinges; either up-and-over (like Ste Marie Ange, the little French layout in MTI recently) or side-by-side (Foldingham style)? Just a thought, though I realise there are considerable time constraints.
rudderlesshippy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

890mm isn't a lot, you're right, but I'm trying to not get bogged down with my usual 'what if I had a bit more space?' 'what if I put in an extra siding?' type of procrastination.

I am planning on just trying things out on the board tonight, probably two separate lines, one either side of an island platform, I'll have to try it and see.

I'll post a photo of whatever I come up with in the morning.

shortliner2001

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RH - possible trackplan help http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73103-top-of-the-yard/#entry1074970
This little jewel was at TVNAM last Saturday
rudderlesshippy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shortliner… Although I'm not sure whether to be inspired or demoralised by such excellent modelling!

OK, this is what I've come up with. Island platform on the left (I've found a part-built MKD platform shelter that should fit nicely in the width available).

A bridge of some description to the right of the point along with a factory behind the van should create two hidden tracks and somewhere to shuffle a van or two for 'unloading'

Now, am I better to prime the shelf or not? The temptation to just start laying track is very strong!

Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would paint or varnish the shelf - start using PVA glue and suchlike and it'll warp quicker than you can say "Shunty-Plank" - probably across the shelf more than along it!
Neat plan, too! Very Happy
rudderlesshippy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much happened this weekend… Back problems and a shoulder injury (along with my osteopath's fairly brutal treatment of the latter) have left me with not much use in my left arm for a couple of days.

However… A tin of grey undercoat has been purchased and I've worked out how to create the bridge necessary for the right hand end of the layout, some 3mm Basswood, a pair of PECO truss girder bridge sides and a Hornby high level pier should do the job nicely.

Hopefully tomorrow should see some progress.

rudderlesshippy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress!

Not much admittedly but I've made more progress on this so far than any other layout I've ever started so I'm feeling quite smug! Smile

Next on the agenda is wiring, with one controller powering two tracks via the two-way switch on the right hand side. I've also started a factory building to hide the right hand tracks that's being constructed in the same way as the bridge piers… Mounting card and strip wood box girder affairs with a piece of strip wood glued to the board to act as a locator. I'm planning on raising the ground level around the siding too, concrete or cobbles? I've not made my mind up yet.

giles b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-discovered this one. Any now photos, I wonder?
on30critter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, great layout. I would like to know if there are newer pictures of this layout also.

Last edited by on30critter on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
rudderlesshippy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies folks… After being displayed at last year's event this little project (and my interest in modelling) got well and truly sidelined, I let my MTI subs lapse and didn't venture near the forum… Sad
But a couple of weekends ago I got roped into helping operate a huge French HO layout at a local show and my interest has returned (and I've renewed my MTI subs!)
Further progress was made before last year's event and with just over two weeks to go until this year's get-together I've decided to have another stint at it and as soon as I've remembered where I put the bridge and the factory flat that I built I'll post a couple more pics.

giles b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back from your holiday Wink Looking forward to seeing how the layout's developed after your show in 2 weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: