FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nostalgia trip
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing.. none of these layouts hold any nostalgia for me, being a relative 'newbie'.. but very inspiring as ever. As you may remember.. I still plan to go the 'Light Railway' route.. in 3mm.

Mogtrains2 at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.com/
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKcRvdN719g66eDzc2iUN1w
john flann

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Giles a great deal of imagination and ingenuity has gone onto these and you have set an excellent example.

In those early times it seems to me a lot more resourcefulness was required along with scratch-building. Maybe it just is that I am getting older, but there doesn't seem to be as much about these days with all the trade has to offer.

I think there is a lot more fun in contriving somethig unique and not out of the box with little or no modification. And where the light railway scene
offers so much opportunity.

John.
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john flann wrote:

I think there is a lot more fun in contriving somethig unique and not out of the box with little or no modification. And where the light railway scene
offers so much opportunity.

John.

I'm with you on that one, although after a few hours trying to get plasticard bits to fit to other plasticard bits I sometimes wish for the odd kit...
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this thread when searching for info about Midhaven, as I remember seeing it all those years ago. can't find the exhibition guide but I seem to remember it could be set up in different ways, unless I am confusing it with another layout .

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ruedetropal] I seem to remember it could be set up in different ways, unless I am confusing it with another layout . [/quote]

Simon, I'm afraid you are. Midhaven was always a home layout, and although made in sections, only fitted together one way. You're thinking of my N gauge Greenbrier Line (several years later) that was truly modular, and in theory could be set up a number of different ways. However as it was too linear to be a useful show layout it had a relatively limited life - possibly connected with the rather "lumpy" controllers of the time, and the crude Rapido-style couplings (Kadees in N gauge not having been developed then).

Last edited by giles b on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think it must have been another OOn3 layout, thats the trouble with Superquick buildings it made layouts look similar at the time. Still need to find that exhibition guide. It would have been sometime around 1970 - 72(or possibly post 75 when interest in railways reborn), Central Hall London.

Must admit layout name did not sound familiar, but as I have the MRC 's for that year, those photos must have stuck in mind.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the colour pictures of Wittering one of my all time favourite layouts.

Peter
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, Peter. Looking back on those pictures the layout does look quite primitive. I wonder why I never made a back-scene for it. I remember I was living in a bedsit at the time and moved into a flat next door shortly after, but work took up most of my time so as far as I recall the layout was only shown once in 1981. The layout as a whole lasted about three years before I went on to another project.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking another look back, my big regret is sending just about all the colour pictures of Stratford (Waterside) to a magazine which promptly folded. Needless to say the pictures were never seen again and the negatives, too, have been lost over the years. This is the only colour survivor.

The buildings were a mix of well-known light railway prototype:- Wantage loco shed, Brill station, but I think the little wooden water tank and the black shed in the foreground may have existed somewhere in reality. Off camera the timber yard , Tramway Cottage and the bridge over the River Avon were all from Stratford-upon-Avon, as was the boathouse beside the bridge. The background scenery was my attempt to portray the town in the 1930s.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a very nice survivor too if I may say so.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: