FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dapol/Piko BR railbus conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Dapol/Piko BR railbus conversion Reply with quote

A long time ago, probably in Scale Model Trains days, an article appeared describing the motorisation of an Airfix (Dapol) BR railbus kit using a Piko East German railcar chassis; I think Richard Gardiner was the author. Has anyone else done this?
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the article. I did have one of the Piko railbuses, a good runner, but did not use it to motorize the Dapol/Airfix kit. I used the Lima long wheel based diesel shunter chassis. Not a bad runner, and I then painted in in BR blue to see what it would look like.
The Hornby Pacer 142 chassis would also make a good chassis , but I decided to repaint the Pacer back into 1960s green.
Both looked quite good in their swapped livery.
The original Airfix kit as produced in green, so it was not so necessary to paint, the current kit is not too bad to build. I have a spare Pacer chassis, with 4 wheel pickup, which could be used to make another blue railbus.
Rolling Eyes

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Cheshire001

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Lima long wheelbase shunter waiting to go under a Dapol kit.
I had seen the shunter on a stall at Crewe Heritage Centre and hardly looked at it. Then Bob Hughes came over and said "Do you think this would power a Dapol railbus?" He then kindly let me buy it. A lot of wheel cleaning later the chassis was running tolerably well.

I obtained a railbus kit whilst on holiday and started assembly but then it sadly joined the large number of projects I am going to finish one day.

The chassis was only a few mm out for the railbus, but if you are worried, please feel free to pay four times the price for the Heljan model!
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be so long replying; I've not had much modelling time recently and had lost track of this thread.

In many ways the Lima chassis is better, particularly as the motor would be hidden in the central area of the body. As it happens I do have a couple, but they are not the best of runners at slow speeds - the reason I took one out of my On30 railcar.

I now have a Piko chassis but no real idea of a layout to run it on. I had thought of a twig off the Bodmin & Wadebridge's Ruthernbridge branch with an extension to the next village, but cannot really see the passenger traffic having survived into the 1950s when in actuality the line was freight only and closed twenty years earlier. Had it remained open, with passengers, a railbus transferred from Tetbury might have been ideal. If this idea does see the light of day it will probably be with a GW Pannier which is in stock waiting for a layout (until I can justify buying a Beattie Well Tank!)

The Piko mechanism needed a little tweak to one current collector, but now runs well. It will probably sit in the "projects" box and eventually end up under something totally different. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: