FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issues between #2 and the 40's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Subscription queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iandrewmartin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Issues between #2 and the 40's Reply with quote

Are there any back issues of these available gents?

Or are these now off limits?

And are there any plans to take the older issues to DVD or CD-ROM as PDFs? I know I have asked before - but I would really like to buy all of the back issues and in this format they would be brilliant (and searchable).

I know that Chris seems resistant to this, but surely we are out the 1980's and since most of the other major railway mags are looking at doing this isn't there some way to come to the party?

Plus they'd be easier to sneak into the house without the missus going berserk when I bring more paper home after a long trek away.
https://huntervalleylines.wordpress.com/
Ballarat, Victoria Australia
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew - all available EXCEPT
but limited stocks of 5.7.8.14.19
all available at ?2.30 each, including postage
We also found some issues of Scale Model Trains, when the
old printers was closed and sold - if you want details, just ask

The problem with the CD idea, apart from the fact that Chris isn't keen, is the time needed to scan all the issues, and the costs of production, stock numbers and storage. He doesn't have a 'puter so couldn't just hold a master and burn on request. Additionally the problem of the format to be available for users with PC'S and Macs
When issues 1 - 20 have all gone he may be persuaded further
iandrewmartin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jack;

You wrote: "The problem with the CD idea, apart from the fact that Chris isn't keen, is the time needed to scan all the issues, and the costs of production, stock numbers and storage."

Jack; this sounds more like an excuse rather than a reason not to have another revenue source, one that I might add pays for itself rather quickly, if you allow downloads rather than burning to CD/DVD in the first place. If you take a look at the number of people now selling their own DVD's and what not and making quite a handsome profit because the cost of publication, distribution is so low.

"He doesn't have a 'puter so couldn't just hold a master and burn on request."

And this means that someone else could not do so for him? I understand that for the older issues maybe their could be a cost associated as the originals may well be really in the camera ready state and not in digital format. Still - more an excuse not to come into the digital age than anything else. I cannot believe that it needs to be so hard to spend money with someone.

"Additionally the problem of the format to be available for users with PC'S and Macs..."

PDF is a standard Jack. Chris may not know that but PDF's are able to be opened on all flavours of Linux, Unix, Mac (7.0 - the current version), PC's of all flavours, shapes and sizes.

For more on this read the following link:
When issues 1 - 20 have all gone he may be persuaded furtherhttp://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions.html

Check out some of the options there. As for the technical know how to get this done you know I have spent almost 25 years in goofing about in this industry, slowly rising to the level I am at today managing a global network. So their are quite a few of us on the list that may well have the skills needed to get this sort of stuff done.

I for one am offering (as in for free, as in free beer) to help out on this project, for no compensation other than to be able to read back issues in a means that is easier to archive and store longer term.

Not trying to be snippy, but one of the reasons as I understand it that Chris wanted to go the route that he went was to keep costs down. Well - here is the best way to do it. Most everyone I know in the railway publishing industry that I know (including my brother who was until recently the Editor of Australia's Railway Digest uses high quality PDF to go to the printer nowadays. Simply cheaper, easier and more efficient.
https://huntervalleylines.wordpress.com/
Ballarat, Victoria Australia
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: MTI on CD Rom Reply with quote

Hi all, have just read iandrewmartin's reposte and this seems to me an excellent idea & oportunity not to be missed. I know nothing at all about computers, only just got online myself early 2006, BUT I have creaking, sagging shelves at home groaning under the weight of every MTI & 1980/81 Model Trains. I had to sort through my SMT collection & just save favourite articles & bin the rest due to lack of space. The old Model Trains are treasured, but the early MTI's are pretty dog-eared now, and there are some issues with nothing of CURRENT use to me at all- but I don't want to dispose of them because who knows what I'll find useful later???
Here's someone willing to help at a bargain price... free!!! As iandrewmartin says, come on guys!!! His idea of an online file seems the way to go for back issues, AND I for one would still want to buy a 'proper' paper&ink copy of each issue as well that I can hold in my hands & browse the good old fashioned way especially when I'm on a work break with no 'puter available. Maybe the SETTING UP of this can be done by guys like this INDEPENDANT of the Editorship, but passed over on completion for pulling in the money & helping keep MTI afloat. Hope this input reaches the right places, Jordan Foster
steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does seem an offer too good to turn down.

steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Subscription queries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: