FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WRG Personal Layout Show 2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dudley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: WRG Personal Layout Show 2015 Reply with quote

Personal Layout Show 2015

Adm. 3.50

10:30 - 15:30

Saxon Room,
STEYNING Centre,
Fletcher's Croft,
Steyning,
BN44 3XZ

Good luck with the new venue; bit of a blow for those of us without a car as Steyning has no way of being reached by rail/ public transport Sad
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd give this one a bump as it's this Saturday.

I know it's not a great consolation but there is a Saturday bus route serving Steyning, although its only one per hour. It's Brighton & Hove service number 2, which you can pick up in Brighton, or probably more usefully, in Shoreham High Street at 47 minutes past each hour. This bus stop looks to be a short walk from the local railway station. The journey takes about 15 minutes.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wealden Railway Group's annual show provided the usual crop of interesting and varied small (or relatively so) layouts, almost all familiar to MTI readers. The new venue proved popular with the public, although those hoping to come by Southern Trains were prevented by week-end engineering closures between London and Brighton.

Chris Ellis brought along an urban US switching yard, Chelsea Avenue.

this had a rather nice quayside scene as a distraction in front of the open fiddle yard/switching lead.

Andrew Knights offered his latest HO "cat" - Catford, Vt, This had a two track passenger terminal in the foreground with a small freight yard at a slightly higher level behind the platforms.

Nearby Tom Lloyd had set up his latest tiny slice of N gauge Cornwall. Apologies to Tom, but I forgot to note its name; however it is based on a real place.

Ian Buck was also there, as usual with a piece of Portugal - a rural terminus named Praia Grande.

Also representing a European prototype, Les Colman was showing a French industrial dockyard, Le Quai de la Chaume, complete with train ferry. This was modelled in 1:48 scale.

Not forgetting a very nice HO German era-2 terminus, Bahnhof Hofen, by Alan Peacock. This featured delicate weathering of rolling stock and buildings, and a backscene by MZZ whose muted colours did not call attention away from the modelled scene.

Back in the UK, there was Fawcett Street, an OO urban goods yard serving a brewery, by Mike Denwood.

and also a "might have been layout from John Baggley, again in 4mm scale. This was Whitecross Street an ex-SER station in the City of London, connected to the nearby City Widened Lines. The layout is set in BR days.

The station building had a very impressive street frontage

Going back in time to 1918, there was a wartime scene in 1:32 scale built by Ian Roberts.

Last but by no means least, Roy Hickman was there with a village diorama in 4mm scale which included this construction site

Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also took a few photos, a bit more "general" and not as good as Giles' as it was a quick dash from behind the layout.........
Catford, Vt:
Untitled by Spitfiregoggles, on Flickr
Competition entries and a view from afar of Ian Buck's Praia Grande:
by Spitfiregoggles, on Flickr
End view of Praia Grande:
Bahnhof Hofen:
Whitecross Street:
Le Quai De La Chaume:
Fawcett Street:
John Bruce and the members' sales stand:
And finally, Chris Ellis and Chelsea Avenue:
I also took several photos of Tom Lloyd's Cornish layout (and no, I can't remember its name either!) but I will put these up in a separate post.
What I didn't do was photograph my own layout, Brightwells Pumping Station Tramway, which was lurking in the corner........
Anyway, I felt the show was very good, my layout got a lot of nice feedback and I was asked many questions about it and 009 generally; attendance seemd to be up compared to Arundel and it was nice to see many new faces some of whom I think were local to Steyning.
One particularly nice chat I had was with a gentleman who used to work at Beeding Cement Works and had memories of the locos and their operation; this came about because he liked the industrial nature of my layout!
It was good also to see so many of the "usual suspects"......now looking forward to next years!
Regards,
Simon.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, your pictures give a much wider panorama than my camera is capable of. Besides which, I managed to "twist" my only image of Fawcett Street irrevocably and then found I couldn't re-download the original from the camera (normally I remember to keep a copy before tweaking an image) - so it's good to have a better one to compare with.
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're straight off the iPad Giles....I've just uploaded them to Flickr and then pasted links here.
Mind you, for some reason they show up much larger on this forum than yours do....at least, they do on the iPad.
I guess it's something to do with the image size setting on Flickr; trouble is that I don't want to change it as it works well when I post on NGRM On Line.
Hmmm.......technology! Rolling Eyes
Cheers,
Simon.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the pictures chaps, very nice indeed.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: