FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting started with my 3D printed track

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Getting started with my 3D printed track Reply with quote

As there is so much on my Shapeways e-Shop I have just added a new category to the e-shop '1-Easy start OO track' at the top, which has the point inlays and the straight and curved track pieces.

This should be enough to get started.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/recreation21?section=1-Easy+start+OO+track&s=0

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noticed last week that Bachmann have quayside buildings and walls planned. I am hoping that will increase interest in my track as well.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously everyone here has access to internet, and most can order stuff online.
One reason I went for Shapeways to produce my 3D printed stuff was that it would be hands off for me. I am talking to a lot of people at exhibitions, and it is not uncommon to find people who don't use the the internet. I was talking on phone yesterday to someone who did not use the internet. I did ask if they knew anyone who did have internet access, but they did not. I have agreed they might be able to order direct from me.
Traditional methods of selling still have a place today. I noticed that when I was running shop. Even talking to someone on phone is not perfect when trying to describe something.
Anyway I am thinking of trying out traditional non internet selling of my 3D printed track, but still to order, as I don't want to spend too much on items which might not sell.
The other idea I am thinking off is to offering traditional model railway shops the idea of order my items to order(nothing to stop them doing it now). Obviously this would increase price to people, but that is the price you pay for traditional service. It would be up to the shop to decide on markup. Not sure what happens with VAT, but Shapeways have VAT quoted on their invoices so that should be OK.
I don't want to go down the exhibition trade route myself, especially given what happened with Tom Bell last year, but I am hoping to do workshop demos at exhibitions. If anyone wants to see me at an exhibition please mention me to the local exhibition manager. That would be UK only, but nothing to stop anyone else running a demo elsewhere.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed in current Railway Modeller that Chris Ward had designed some infills for the Peco OO9 track.
Now I might see this as competition, but in fact I think it will increase awareness and interest in my inset track. I have not done infills for OO9, just complete track sections, although I had thought about doing some infills for one of the Peco N gauge points.
I have noticed that when I have been discussing my 3d printed OO9 locos with people at exhibitions , I get the impression that there is more interest in 3D printed models because there are now a few people doing them.

Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe people doing 009 are more likely to look out smaller suppliers for items like this sort of thing anyway, given the nature of 009 still being mostly a "do it yourself" scale?
Maybe the majority of people using OO setrack are still beginners, for want of a better term, & if stuff isn't in the Hornby catalogue they won't go looking too hard elsewhere.
I say that, as modellers in OO most likely move to Streamline as they gain experience, & would maybe stop looking for setrack, & items associated with it.
Just my 2p.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if people skip over the Setrack range, some might, but if you are modelling in a small space, the space saving is still worth while. I suspect many of those starting will have found out the hard way that the quality of the Hornby points is nowhere near that of Peco, and you can normally pick up Peco points secondhand in good condition.

The Setrack Y point is actually a larger radius than some of the Streamline ones, and is still a great space saver.

Also the direction Hornby are going will result in it not being as easy to get hold of in model shops. The Peco OO9 track was I believe developed for Minitrains. Peco are also making inroads with Bachmann.
It would be interesting to see if Peco plan to introduce a Setrack OO9 point to match the curves and straights. Ironically this would be more difficult to fit a 3D printed infill, as there is nothing at the toe end to fit it to, which is why I have started to look at the N gauge(non Setrack) points for an infill.

It should also not be forgotten that Peco is made here in the UK, and that is a very good promotional sales angle.

One of the obstacles I have encountered is the price. It looks expensive(not compared to existing HO tram track though), and therefore when other companies come up with similar products at a similar price then people see that the prices are actually about right.
I have not had a chance to see the inserts Chris is producing, but I have seen his other items and he has seen my track, as have Peco. I would not be surprised to see someone else looking at producing inserts or complete track panels. As far as I am concerned more is better.

One thing I am considering is getting stuff printed to sell at exhibitions, as there is still resistance to ordering online. This has not been helped by the way Shapeways have tightened up their checks and are rejecting items they previously were happy to print.

Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Setrack 009 point planned, 9" radius with "unifrog" so it can either be used as is or have the polarity switched.
It was announced earlier this year but I as far as I know there's no release date yet.
Simon.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought I had seen something about that point. Will be interesting to see if 3d inserts are also produced by Chris Ward. From my own experience it is quite tricky, but as I said about the N gauge point, it depends on toe end design. There is also not much clearance above the tiebar. My inserts for OO are held in place by the sleepers at toe end, and I have tried various ways to clear the tiebar.
I like the idea of the unifrog, as the N gauge insulated frog can be a problem for slow running, whereas the OO one has improved over the years and there is less need for a live frog, especially with the god quality loco mechanisms these days.

Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a lot of debate about the unifrog over on NGRM On Line, Simon!
Some are predicting that it'll be the best thing since sliced bread, others that it will bring about the downfall of civilisation as we know it, or something Wink
I think that its introduction has been spurred on (as with the Setrack) by the Minitrains range......the newer Minitrains locos all have flywheels so I suspect they'll cope with the unifrogs without needing them to be "live" whereas some other mechs may struggle....we'll have to wait and see.
Must admit that I like the idea of being able to get away without switches, although I am perfectly capable of installing and wiring them, as it's one less bar to quick progress.
Good luck with your inlays, it's not something I currently anticipate needing but you never know!
Cheers,
Simon.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dabbled with live frog points, know the theory, but find it easier and more reliable to wire up Setrack points so each track is live as most continental points are done. The base of the points has a groove, suggesting it might have been planned at some time. I now don't have to worry about dirt on point blades and breakages and replacing points on layouts.
If you look at the Peco OO setrack points, there is only a very small dead section. The gap for the other track is actually longer. There are a lot of people out there who have been using live frogs for a long time and have not realised the and with locos running better better than before, and with better running locos, there is no need to make things more complex. Having said that I have noticed other makes still have big chunky plastic frogs.

One thing that delayed me on my designs for points was whether to make them live or insulated frog. In the end I decided it was easier to add insulation rather than take it away, so they come for live frog, but it is very easy to knock up a small isolated frog.
From an operating point of view I have come across more problems on live frog trackwork than insulated frogs, as rails expand and cause shorts. Seen too many exhibitors fixing this problem .

On the subject of dockyards, maybe I should set up a challenge for everyone to add a small dockyard to their layouts. The great thing about dockyards is that they do not need to take up much space. I have a design for one that nicely uses one dead corner on the traditional 6ft by 4ft train set board.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: