FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low relief turntable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Low relief turntable? Reply with quote

I'm sure several modellers may have been put off adding a turntable due to the difficulties of cutting a perfectly circular hole in the baseboard and/or having the depth of board available to accommodate the pit.

Well, there's a prototype for everything so you can model the turntable in low relief as a disc on top of the baseboard. How?

More info here.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cheeky! No handrails on the turntable deck, I see. Perhaps there should be a lifebelt on the locomotive Smile
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could always raise the deck on an Atlas turntable. This has all the track positions in place as well.
Suppose you could also have driver sitting in cab door with a fishing rod Laughing

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but an Atlas turntable costs money and the FCPyF does not have a lot to spend. Wink

I've been playing around with some old Tri-ang Super 4 (crap for finescale OO but excellent for bodging On30)...

Now, that I like. It looks like somewhere sunnier than Sandbach is at the moment but some lush rain-fed greenery will explain the flooded turntable pit.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lining up tracks can be tricky, and then you need a mechanism to turn the turntable unless you are doing it digitally. Laughing

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it'll be that difficult to line the tracks up. The siding next to the station building is only likely to be worked from the fiddleyard end, I'll probably even paint the rail heads rusty at the turntable end. The turntable itself will not rotate fully either. In the ready position (1) it will line up with the main track, then turn not quite 180 degrees to rotate incoming locos/railcars until they line up with the loco release track (2). When the table is clear (3) it will be returned to the original position (4) by rotating it back so that the wires do not get twisted.

The end of the turntable nearest the fiddleyard therefore only needs to line up with the main line and the other end only needs to line up with the shed road (when the turntable is in its normal position) or the loco release road (when rotated). It will be a simple job to align these three tracks to the turntable one by one and the station siding can also be set in place after the turntable has been installed. Electrically, this means the turntable can be hard wired with no DPDT required in the circuit because the loco release road will have the opposite polarity to the main line and station siding.

The reversed polarity of the loco release road will not be a problem because there is no connection between it and the other tracks in the fiddleyard, off stage operation being either by crane shunting or a plug in cassette which will adopt the polarity of whichever track it is aligned with.

I was going to use a loco lift, but it won't sit flat on Super 4 track. Sad

As for manual operation of the turntable, I don't have a problem with that because the layout is for home use only. I don't take my layouts to shows any more, got no car.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I knew your new layout reminded me of something, but it took a while to find it.

It was on Carl's Small Layout Scrapbook back in 2008 - page 73a (and another entry earlier, I think). Always liked it, and the conversions from HO to On30 of the collection of 0-4-0 locos. Still hope to convert a Plymouth diesel into the little box-cab seen to the left of the turntable.

The layout was called Pine Creek and it measured 40ins x 18ins. The builder was Bob Moroch from Texas. You can see more on the Free Rails forum in the Way Back When section, under Pine Creek.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Giles. That just goes to show that there are precious few new ideas for track plans, but the scenic treatment can make two otherwise very similar layouts look completely different.

Mmmm, maybe an extension of the goods siding across the turntable could become a RIP track?

Anyways, the track plan now has a baseboard underneath it. Don't look too closely at the carpentry. It's another of my usual assemblies of scrap wood, in this case a redundant nappy changing table. With the adoption of proper curved tracks instead of bending long straights the layout is wider than originally planned. This means it does not fit in front of Muston Sands on the trestle table so it is standing on my old ironing board layout support.

I'm working on it in the garage to save making a mess in the office but bring it into the house so I can sit and look at it while browsing on the interwebby.

EDIT - I have tried an additional track off the turntable, opposite the goods siding. It looks OK when empty put parking a railcar on it makes the scene look artificially cramped. I might leave two short stubs, with stop blocks on them, opposite the goods track and loco release road to catch overruns but not long enough to stable stock on.

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the extra width, Bob; looks a lot more natural. I see what you mean about crowding the foreground corner. Could you put a turnout just behind the railcar to provide a short RIP track option and still leave some open ground? Or (and?) is there room for a curving track off the turntable between the station and goods shed, as if squeezing off to a harbour or factory? If you could add a short stick then the line could be used by railcars or one-coach passenger services, too. just a thought............
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Tri-ang Super 4 Giles. I have a couple of spare turnouts but they're not really suited for slow speed running, especially not with small loco mechanisms that do not have the same standard of flywheel transmission that we have come to expect as standard on US four and six axle diesel models!

The points on my lad's OO layout don't create this problem because it's retro modelling and everything bats round at 11 out of 10 on the controller but I'd like to be able to operate at scale speeds on the new On30 project.

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Bob, I was forgetting Super 4 isn't compatible with code 100. In my day I was using Series 3 and was only thankful it wasn't the grey stuff.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite liked the "grey stuff" with its built in ballast. I bit like Fleischmann's N gauge track... OK, not much, but you know what I mean. The series 3 sleepers are, I think, a tad too wide for On30 but Super 4 looks good as narrow gauge track.

Anyhows, as the work is progressing on this project I'll continue the story in my pick and mix micro thread.

CRACKED

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first layout with only a turntable and no points was the 2mm scale one built by Edward Beal and described in the March 1934 edition of Model Railway News (reprinted in MTI 9Cool. I think you will like how he made his turntable Bob.

The Triang Standard track (the grey stuff), was originally cellulose acetate, and even the later styrene based stuff has a tendency to distort. The turnouts in particular had a tendency to fail. In short may have looked better but the Series 3 was a lot more robust.
CRACKED

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just looked at your blog.

Personally I would wire up Road 6 (the Goods shed) either to the turntable, or across to the main Road 2.

Reason.

You might need to pick up a short wagon at the end of this line. With small locomotives you might find that you need to just come off the turntable.

You might wish to consider making the bridge as a footbridge. It need not have access to the platform having been constructed merely to maintain an existing right of way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: