FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE Christmas show, Manchester - NOTE: amended directions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no matter John. It was a good show. Contikits visit a few shows in area, so have chance to see them elsewhere. Langley Kits were there so I had a chance to look at their boats(briefly) as they were next door but one.
For me having the chap from Oxford with the Townscene backscenes and Merco prints was even better(I have mislaid some of the backscenes I bought at York!), as I needed something for my demo layout.
I only managed to escape from stand a couple of times, so had a quick look around, but managed to talk to a lot of people, and get a few ideas for new track, which I am currently working on. One is some 2ft radius points for O gauge(done, just need artwork for website), and started on some cobbled track for N gauge(awaiting test sample ).
Next year I am hoping I can put on more of a demo stand, as I don't tend to sell much as it costs me too much to buy in stock, for a small 'commission'.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
allegheny1600

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Important announcement on first post.

My other club's exhibition:
http://forum.mtimag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2119
allegheny1600

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by allegheny1600 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, if you mean new directions edit, then the link is not working properly

allegheny1600

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Simon!
I don't know why but my post above, shows me (on edit) all the information, it just won't display on the forum.
When I first posted, I added a subject description, which seemed to be the problem, later I deleted that post but a replacement post has the same problem, Grrr!
John.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Resist the temptation to visit the Bulls Head

???

Quite a nice pint last time I was in there!

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
allegheny1600

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding recent enquiries;
There is a good cafe on site.
Parking cycles & motorcycles: There isnít anything on the car park specifically for motorcycles but there is a cycle/motorbike area on the campus. If he/she heads for the Gatehouse and enters the campus on the left hand side (not the right where all the other vehicles will be going), there is a designated area on the left hand side.
Cheers,
John E.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just hoping weather is not as bad as predicted. Local railways have been suffering from flooding and fallen trees over past few weeks.
They are saying Friday weather should be better so for those setting up it should not be too bad.

allegheny1600

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are all hoping the weather won't be too unkind!

The show is now largely set up and looking pretty good.

Main hall,

Main hall layouts,

One of the smaller halls,

The largest (model) turntable I've ever seen!

MMRS own American H0 layout,

Some of the display cabinet including some of the late Sid Stubbs work,

My apologies for the quality of these hurridly snatched camera phone shots.

Hope that anyone (& everyone) who comes along, enjoys the show.

Cheers,

John E.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I can't get down today, because our direct train service has been cancelled. Given that they are still running trains through to Hebden Bridge and from Todmorden to Manchester, this means that it is just the Tod curve that is in effect close due to bad weather.
Anyone who has ever had to change trains at Hebden Bridge will know that the connection time is pathetic. I would not want to try any other travel option, as roads are going to be bad(double deckers on windy motorways!! no way), and I want to try out Tod curve. It is a very important piece of short track for people round here.
It might be that they have had to reduce number of trains on route into Manchester, but it would have been better to cut one of the trains from Todmorden, which is in effect what happens on Sundays. Alternatively run train to Todmorden and people can change there. Again one of the Sunday services does just this, but wait time in Todmorden is long. At least I would be able to pop into the town briefly though.
Hopefully trains will be running tomorrow. The weather forecast is better.

Northern Rail, more like NoTrains Rail. Not the fault of any of their staff, who will be the ones getting the flack.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went yesterday and had a most enjoyable afternoon, most of which was spent watching the slick operations on Herstmonceux. Andy Jones's layout has superb scenery to match the smooth running, the large trees are a vast improvement over the undersized scrub usually seen on layouts.

It was nice to see some familiar faces, it's been quite a while since I last went to a show (as visitor or exhibitor) so it was good to catch up with old friends.

I stopped by at the second hand stall - as one does - and picked up a very nice scratch built OOn3 van for two quid with the intention of converting it to OO9 for use on Boac. So much for plans, having got it home and regauged it I made the mistake of putting it on Muston Sands... It's not a bad size for O9, in the larger scale it looks like a low roofed van but not too low.

Anyway, I digress, as usual! If you're in the Manchester area get down to the city centre today, you won't be disappointed.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually got to exhibition, after NoTrains Rail tried to sabotage my plans again, and not run early train this morning. This actually worked in my favour, as it gave me time to pop over to my workshop in Blackburn and pick up another of my 3D printed items to take.

An excellent exhibition. I gather yesterday was wall to wall packed, showing there is a very big interest in a Christmas show in Manchester centre. It is a pity it is so close to Warley show as that must put off some potential big traders from coming.
So hopefully this is good news for future, maybe a bigger show next year Wink

John, it was good meeting and talking,Did not realise I was so obvious visible.

I think I might have given myself more work, possibly an L&Y bogie wagon.
I also have some other ideas on presenting 3D printing.

For tram enthusiasts it was good to see the new 2nd route through Manchester starting to run trams, but only a short way. Does mean you have to keep your eyes open for trams, as they seem to be very good at sneaking up and saying BOO!

allegheny1600

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Thanks for posting about your visits to this show, it's appreciated.
Apparently it was very busy indeed on the Saturday (I was absent!) but better on the Sunday.
Hi Simon, I had met you previously - at a show where Roger Nicholls was showing his French layout a few years back, we talked a few French things!
It was good to talk again and I'll be showing my friend your website to see what he thinks of your track.
Hi Bob, I only wish I had had chance to see Herstmonceux, it did look remarkably good - next time, hopefully.
Even though I only did 1 and Ĺ days (& a day at the ERA show!), I have been quite exhausted since but thoroughly enjoyed it.
Cheers,
John.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, that explains it. I think I saw that layout again at Warrington show this year.
I was invited to ERA show this year(I as there last year) but declined because I had already decided to stop showing my WW1 layout , as I wanted to try something new and the layout was starting to need a bit of attention. I have not decided on its future, but if it goes out again, it will be in more recent t times, possibly even modern, as I have vehicles and stock for non WW1 period(most of which has actually been sold).

The Manchester show really needs a bigger venue, like it used to have at CIC building. Maybe you should talk to the art group in Foundation House(?) which is about half way up the hill along the tram track out of Victoria station. I think the building is owned by CWS. I was on an art seminar there last year, and it would be a good exhibition venue. It could also show how model railways can be considered an art form, as suggested in December Railway Modeller.

On the subject of 3D printing, I just happened to mention it to chap on the door when I was leaving and he said the club had recently had someone giving a talk on the subject. That got me thinking, about putting together a small presentation, and a display case/board to take to clubs. I could even put together some type of computer/video presentation, as it is obviously not possible to take a 3D printer capable of printing my designs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: