FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Narrow gauge book should be ready to go to printers ....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive, I initially wanted to use 1/64 scale, but could not get chassis to fit loco. Obviously for other locos I might have been OK, but I then looked at 1/55 and realised how close it was to wargaming scale and some diecast vehicles.
The original Lledo(now Corgi) Citroen H van and Peugeot van are virtually spot on scale. Many would think they were 1/64 by look, but I checked measurements.
1/55 is used by Siku for some items, and Norev do a range of diecast cars, mostly modern ones. Many of the wargaming figures are military, but I found some 'French Resistance' ones which were in effect civilian. Slightly chunky, but good enough. Malcolm did not have his figures at show I saw him at last year, and he said he rarely sold any, but I would have been happy to get some to compare.
On the 5.5mm forum, I noticed ideas about standard gauge which works out at about 24 or 25mm. These gauges are starting to become available for other scale/gauge combinations, again making it an option.
Now 9mm gauge works out at near spot on 50cm gauge, again suiting m French narrow gauge, but would also be close to 18in gauge.
6.5mm could be used to represent 15in gauge. The Busch HOf locos could easliy take a bigger body. Possibly a 3D printed one which fits over the Busch body(weight or lack of it is an issue).

12mm gauge, the starting point for 5.5mm scale, is possibly one of the more expensive options, as chassis tend to more expensive, although there are some tram chassis which will fit my 40hp Simplex, I think.

The S gauge society has now rebranded itself as S scale, as there are a lot of people using it for narrow gauge. Many of these are 'down under' so suspect many suppliers are down there as well. All adds to cost.

So I have actually thought about it a lot. Project stalled when Giles pointed me in direction of the metre gauge line in the Camargue, and I still have quite a bit of research to do there. I think I will start another smaller project to use the French models I have already.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruedetropal wrote:
Christopher, either the yahoo forum is out of date, or I think the association has had another revamp. It was not clear from what was on various sites that there was a proper association.

The 5.5mm association is quite small (my card has #149 on it, and I'm a recent member) but they have a lot of active members and broad rance of prototypes and modelmaking standards from the sort of thing I hope to make one day up to way beyond anything I could do, and a very nicely produced newsletter.

More importantly they are very friendly and relaxed about their modelmaking, and there's a lot of humour in their work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: