FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puerto Paseo has three exhibition bookings this year. The first is the Chesham show on Sunday 6th March, at the White Hill Centre near the Underground station. On June 11th and 12th the layout will be at the Chatham show at the Medway Park Leisure Centre. On 2nd July it will be at the Beaconsfield show (details to follow).
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that came out of the Chesham show last week-end was a reminder that the minerals train needs a new caboose. Caboose#9, which is normally assigned, is rather heavy and runs stiffly and the little Model Power 0-4-0 is at the limit of its adhesion with 3 hoppers plus caboose. I'd been meaning to replace #9 with a four-wheeled "Bobber", and this is now in hand. The caboose ends are Chivers parts and the sides are styrene clad with coffee stirrers, to match the other cabooses.

These pictures show the basic body in undercoat, with ladders, steps, and hand-rails all to be added.

On reflection, I should have cut a bit out of the middle of the chassis to set the wheels further under the cabin section, but I'm not going to take the whole thing apart again. Some underfloor tool-boxes can be added which should help to fill in the rather large gap between the wheels.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best left as it is, the bobber might bob about too much with the shorter wheelbase. Shocked

Full length step boards, and corresponding hand rails of course, might work as an alternative to the tool boxes when considering the empty space between the axles.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I might have used a Hornby lwb brake van chassis, but was keeping it for another project; instead I used a long HO German van underframe (Klein?) which has a little more length. Just been playing with the Paint programme on the caboose picture, and the extra details below the body help a lot, as do the end steps. I did also simulate adding an extra plank at each end of the cabin, but that doesn't add much visual benefit, when set against the almost total rebuild that it entails.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent most of the last few days working on Shellsea, there has been time to add the under-floor toolboxes and tie bars to the new caboose. Also found the need to drill out the axle holes a little, as the wheels were dragging. All rolling smoothly now, and just needs the end steps and weathering to be completed.

Behind the caboose is the newly built café - just needs the sign-board to be finished before getting photographed; it will appear in the appropriate thread shortly, I hope.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One job that's been needing to be tackled for some time is the provision of headlamps for several of the Este's locomotives. A trawl through the spares box for another project revealed some useful shapes, including a number of station clocks. Along with a length of square styrene tube and a nub of sprue, these dials have now become some oil lamps, now carried by the company's goods engine and also the dock shunter. The base of a 1/35th scale oil drum has been adapted with a stub of sprue acting as the lamp, and a "glass" front, which now helps the crew of the mixed-traffic loco to see where they're going after dark.

I've also cobbled up a very large oil lamp as a back-up light for the FCO's minerals loco; this matches the style of the front lamp. There are a couple of paraffin lamp kits to make up to add the two other FCO tenders.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to bring the bobber caboose's story up to date, here it is ready for service next week-end.

As this thread is getting a bit long, the story continues in the Layout pages under Puerto Paseo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35
Page 35 of 35

Jump to: