FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French preservation line video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: French preservation line video Reply with quote

Just discovered a rather nice video of a preserved line I visited a few years ago. As a techie know-nothing I've no idea how to link it to this site, but you should be able to find it by Googling: Chemin de Fer de la Vallee de l'Isle. The site looks like an on-line magazine called Aiguillages, so there may be other pages of interest.

The line runs from Guitres to a spot in the middle of nowhere (adjacent to a creperie). If you can forgo a crepe or ice-cream, you can continue a bit to where the train runs round. On my visit the train was only two coaches long, as they'd managed to split the points when making up the train at Guitres. With a longer train - too big for the run-round loop - quite a lot of shunting has to take place, as they have to put the "birdcage brake" (which the commentary describes as an observation coach - well, sort of I suppose) on the rear of the train for the return trip.

Well worth a look for those who like rural French railways.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat film. Lax operation, more like a tramway than a railway with railcars following trains at safe(ish) distances and no apparent signalling. We used to operate the Ferrocarril Internacional modules in a similar manner at shows with two or three trains following each other in the same direction to maximise track occupancy when the layout was a particularly long formation.

Link for the French heritage railway film - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgrCNrjzz_I

Link for the model railway film that follows it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EK2JZBQ2ZE

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had not realised any of the GE44 locos were preserved on French lines. I have one of the models Bachmann did under Liliput label, with buffers , and painted it in a similar green.
For anyone interested here in the website for the railway
http://www.trainguitres.fr/
I note that the coaches came from the Palavas line down near coast. Pleased to see they got preserved. They were quite often filled with holiday makers on old line, so are continuing that way. Makes a change from old BR Mk1 coaches here, which I find boring, yet many get their fix from being pulled by an old steam, and sometimes diesel loco. Much prefer the unusual, so really need to get out there and visit some of the smaller lines , with small coaches, and locos, in both France and Britain.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
Neat film. Lax operation, more like a tramway than a railway with railcars following trains at safe(ish) distances and no apparent signalling.

Marche a vue is a well known way of operating on minor French lines, and I guess is safe when there is only one out-and-back working - even if it's made up of a steam train followed by a railcar, with probably a Wickham trolley and water bowser bringing up the rear to damp down any hot cinders along the track.

Slightly more alarming was a trip on the Boston undergroundlast year (which is run as a tramway) when, on approaching a station our service stopped at a red signal then passed it slowly and was running into the station as the preceding train was still leaving the far end of the platform.

Simon, somewhere I have photos of the staff trying to re-rail one of the Palavas coaches that had derailed and was stuck in the crossing of one of the yard's turnouts. For a start they had to break the coupling to the next coach, in order to move anything. Then they got a re-railing frog and tried hauling the coach with a small locotracteur. It did not want to play at all and the coach was all but turning into a 3D parallelogram. I really thought it would break in two, given its age and what appeared to be flimsy construction. Turned out it was a lot stonger that it looked and everything was back on the rails just in time for the train to return from its trip.
Dudley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: YouTube link to this preserved railway Reply with quote

Apologies if this has already been linked/mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgrCNrjzz_I

Dudley
http://dudleysphotos.zenfolio.com/p499768746/h7c24887a#h740d49fc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: