FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plymouth ML-8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidbromage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Plymouth ML-8 Reply with quote

New product from Walthers. Might also be useful for On30 and Gn15.

https://www.walthers.com/catalog/product/view/id/799403/s/plymouth-ml-8-standard-dc-us-army-transportation-corps/

Cheers
David
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, but not exactly cheap, unless you want DCC sound

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice specification too......sign of the times, when having DCC is the default setting?

Notice it is currently 'out of stock'....

I'd be inclined to wait until the pound makes some sort of recovery against the dollar first?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Simon on this one. The whole appeal of narrow gauge modelling in the larger scales, especially Gn15, is the use of CHEAP locos as donors. This looks to be a lovely little critter but there are plenty of perfectly good two axle mechanisms around for considerably less beer tokens.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem with DCC sound is that once you have one loco, you have to have more. I have had a couple of the superb Galloping Goose models at different times, and each time sold them, partly because I would need more DCC sound locos, then something else. The range of Bachmann models with sound is superb, but I don't have the money, and I would rather spend it on things that interest me more. Also they are wrong scale for me so I would have to cut up expensive models.
DCC onboard can be bought cheaply. My two Bachmann GE70 based GN15 locos are excellent runners on analogue. In fact I have tended to find my layouts run better on analogue at exhibitions.
DCC even with sound does not impress the punters like it used to do so. More for home use no where you can hear it. Having said that I was impressed by one N scale one this year, so maybe it is getting better, but also more expensive.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: