FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lazy River
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work to date on the cardboard mock-up layout, Bryants Landing. The theme is a small rural riverside town which has a small switching zone served by a car-float operating from the far bank. That at least is the story as far as the WRG competition entry is concerned. Should the idea progress to an actual layout, there will be an offstage exit along the depot track, leading to a fiddle yard.

alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that, Giles....very handy for operating at home?
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possibly, Alastair, although I won't have to build it unless it wins the competition (most unlikely, I suspect). In that event, the layout would have to be shown at the 2016 WRG show, after which I'd probably modify it with a stronger baseboard framework, and an additional fiddle yard as outlined above. It would not fit my present layout lighting rig, however, which is a bit of a shame.

I do have another couple of possible ideas for the competition, but these work better on a rigid 4ft 6ins baseboard, besides which they may not have the operating possibilities that I think this one may have.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those American HO models in the loft are still calling faintly..........

Having completed the baseboard for Shellsea I find there's enough left-over 25mmx15mm timber for another micro-layout baseboard. If it goes ahead I don't want to spend too much time on it, but my imagination was grabbed by Crystal Creek in MTI #117. I'm considering a 4ft by 1ft version with an additional spur on the front kick-back road. In effect this makes it the equivalent of Chris's South Street Yard, which was one of his favourite layouts recalled in MTI #100 (Yes, withdrawal symptoms include looking through old back-numbers Crying or Very sad )

I'm not saying this one will definitely go ahead, but the ingredients (apart from some plywood) are all in stock, so just about a No-Cost project.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temptation Exclamation Provisional title: Muddy Waters (as opposed to the name of its inspiration, Crystal Creek)

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even McKinley Morganfield? Cool

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muddy Waters has progressed to the wallpaper-drawing stage, and in the process has been renamed and relocated. It is likely to become South Wolfeboro, N.H. This is because it turns out that the planned layout size is too small to incorporate a modelled dockside, so the watery part will be on the backscene.

We visited the real Wolfeboro in New Hampshire on holiday last year, and this is one of the resulting pictures of the town, taken as our ferry was leaving the pier. With a flipped copy added on and an extra piece from another shot to extend the view at one end, it is large enough to become the backing of the wharf area. We assume the town is on a bay with a small industrial area across the water. A line from the town depot circles round the built-up area to serve this "new" area.

The pier between the building with a blue awning and the large square cream structure was once served by a spur line from the nearby RR depot. Look closely at the gap between the two buildings and you may be able to pick out a small grey-brown spire - this is part of the roof of the former depot, a lovely gingerbread structure which the town has preserved, although the rail connection has gone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: