FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How accurate can OO actually be?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: How accurate can OO actually be? Reply with quote

This might sound like a rhetorical question, but what is starting to get on my wicks is the continuous stream of misleading info about OO,
This on an announcement today,
Quote:
has been engineered to be an accurate depiction of the prototype, with:
Unique wood grain on each sleeper
Incredible chair detail
Prototypically angled rails

BUT, it is the WRONG gauge. How ever accurate you make it it is still under gauge. In fact the more you try to make it more detailed the more this big error shows up.
Probably because I studied Maths and Philosophy rather than Politics at uni, is why this type of statement is so wrong.
I have nothing against OO, model it myself,but I know it is not the right gauge and make compromises. One reason I am also modelling HO as it at least uses the correct track gauge.

I am not saying that tweaking OO track does not make it look a bit better. The old Graham Farish Formaway track used sleepers at 8mm spacing rather than 7mm. I have some and intend to use it on a small layout(no points though).

It is all a compromise, but it is going too far in the opposite direction, pretending to be something it is not and more importantly never can be.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
CRACKED

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of caution, Originally HO and 00 were used to describe the track gauge 16.5mm and not the scale. In the first issue of The Model Railway News (January 1925), there is an article "The possibilities of 00 Gauge" by A Stewart-Reidpath. It is only by reading the article that you realise he is describing 3.5mm scale. There is also a couple of photographs, drawings and description of a Southern Railway combined Kitchen and Dining Saloon, which he had made. A R Walkley's HO model were originally also described as 00.

The use of HO to describe 3.5mm and 00 for 4mm did not come into use until sometime in the 1930's.

The other thing to note about 00 is that American 00 was 1/72 and 19mm gauge - more or less spot on. This was very rare and only supported by a few manufactures.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The history of HO and OO is complex and muddled. I have a copy of Greenley's book from the time, and noted the USA OO being 19mm. Had not realised it was 1/72 scale, which does make sense.
It is not only OO/HO that have been mucked up over the years. Greenley defines Gauge One as 10mm/ft, but for years it has been considered 1/32 scale, which works well with other hobbies, and now we have Gauge One models in 1/32 and 10mm/ft. In some ways this is worse than the mix up between OO and HO.

I have no gripe against the way HO and OO have developed, and don't object to better models. I do object to the way some try and make themselves out as better modellers by adopting finer standards for OO, but ignoring the fact that is is the wrong gauge for the scale. I think that if it was any other product, then the wording could be said to be misleading.

Something else I have heard is that there are a lot of people in the hobby who either don't know that OO is wrong gauge, or don't want to admit it. As I model many gauges and scales, I sometimes find many simply don't understand. Even some think that N is the same as OO9. It is this type of lack of understanding that I am trying to educate , and why I have a British HO layout planned.
I have been asked recently by at least a couple of people I know, why I am going for HO, and got no comment when I said it was because I wanted to model in the right gauge. I am lucky because I am designing models for 3D printing.

There was an interesting thread on another forum concerning the Walkley layout. I gather he deliberately built it to HO gauge and scale to prove it was possible. Granted he was a superb engineer, and could make his own, highly advanced for the time, DC motors.
When looking at history of British HO, there is possibly one modeller that should not be ignored and that is Jack Nelson. Possibly because he was in magazines at same time as people like Peter Denny, modelling in EM, that the smaller scale got pushed to one side.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: