FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking back at MTI magazines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: looking back at MTI magazines Reply with quote

Just been looking though my jumbled up collection of MTI magazines, now I am down at my house in France.
I had seen on one of the indexes that there were drawings of Scammell Scarabs, so those issues ere top of my list. I also wanted to look for any other drawings that might interest me. Quite a few, but most put to one side for the moment.
At the time I felt that the b/w photos let the magazine down, but now looking back through them I realise how much variety there was(although some authors do seem to come up more often than others), there is something for everyone. The lack of colour is no problem.
I know I did have problems with some of my own photos, but if I had checked them properly, converting them to non colour, then I could have fixed any problems.
I just wish now that I had written more articles in the final years, in particular about my 3D printed track , but at the time it was not quite right, and I missed the chance.
Before anyone suggests it, I know you will, I think the big A4 page helps a lot, especially for scale drawings, and for me not sure if anything smaller than the old MRN would do the subject justice. In those days occasionally there were fold out pages.
I also had a look though other old mags, in particular the few copies of MRN I have, with some well known(and still around) names. I have a couple of ideas in mind, so watch this space.

I suppose my main interest in old mags is the drawings now, and it is noticable how few are in other mags these days. I have heard the excuse that there is no-one producing scale drawings and people these days don't want them as much, but Voie Libre the French magazine does have a very large pull out of scale drawings. Even MTI continued with drawings up to the end.
One frustration was finding the copy of MTI with BR ore wagons(variant of the standard 16t one), and the comment that everyone knows the 16ton wagon so well, that there was no point including it. In fact given how many variations there were I think it would have been well received.

Reminds me of when I was involved in practical conservation. One of our regular sites was near Milton Keynes(I think right next to one of the old branch lines), where they were doing research on Mallard ducks, as no one else had been interested simply because it was so common. Odd then that it have an engine named after it!
Never assume no-one is interested just because something is so common. Sometimes these are the most interesting things, and for me finding a scale drawing of possibly one of the most common wagons built by BR was required.
Luckily thanks to being directed to a very useful online resource, and combining it with the drawings I have found, I think I should be able to proceed with another of my HO models to be 3D printed.
The Scammells are also on my list of designs top do. I had hoped to get stuck in whilst here, but it is currently too warm,but as long as I have a nice cool drink next to me I am determined to do something .

All that inspiration from old copies of MTI....

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, Simon - on the drawings, that is. I've recently been trawling through my old copies and one thing I found was information on the early use of containers (or lift vans as they were known then). Of no interest when published, but crucial information now, as it would be useful to build an early container for Shellsea. Glad I didn't purge my old copies.

I think I have something on 16t mineral wagons, possibly a Dave Larkin article, but not sure about a drawing, though it's possible - have you all the info you need, or would you like me to dig it out and see if it's what you need? Please pm me if so.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Giles. I was shown link to an excellent website with pdf copies of official BR books, showing all variations. They don't have complete chassis detail, but there are drawings in MTI showing the Ore variants.
All I wanted was the bog standard wagon, but now i have to chose. Will definitely be doing the bog standard one, and possibly the ones sold back from SNCF, Odd thing is I am wondering if there were some more wagons ex SNCF as well.

Giles, I am hoping I might have something lined up which should bring back memories. Nothing definite, but something i do want to try designing.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: