FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something for Giles - from 40+ years ago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Something for Giles - from 40+ years ago Reply with quote

Giles , I mentioned I might be looking up something from the past. well I dug out some old copies of MRN, with some nice building designs which I thought I could use to design something for 3D printing. Chose a relatively easy one to start. Even so some guess work was needed.
Henekeys in I think Twickenham. Well it was there in 1970.

One thing I want to work on is buildings. These can be easily re-scaled, and quicker than scratch building.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Yes! I remember it well! I haven't driven through Twickenham for many years, so I've no idea if it's still there. I think when I last looked it was, but no longer Henekey's. I believe it may date back to the late-18th, or early 19th century when it may have been the coaching in for travellers to London. If I'm right, the arch leading to the stable yard would have been where the multiple doors on the right hand side are. Perhaps this might make a variation for the kit. For thst period the shop windows under the overhanging bays would have the multi-pane Georgian-era windows.

There used to be another inn opposite (demolished after WW2), that catered for coaches leaving London.

If you can find a Twickenham then and now type of book it may have some useful pictures. The original riverside village of Twickenham is now only really seen in nearby Church Street, and most of the present streets are Victorian or later. Some other, simple outline 19th century shops nearer the station (Roy Moore etc) have also been swept away by modern road development since I lived locally back in the 60s and 70s. I always thought they were quite John Ahern in style, but never had occasion to model them.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is still there, found it on google map. Useful for some detail.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: