FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 'What if' syndrome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: The 'What if' syndrome Reply with quote

Jack's article discussing the possible additions to my Port Abel suggests a traverser in the fiddleyard. To simplify construction and electrical connections this could be replaced by using a Peco loco lift. The loco lift is slightly larger than Jack's drawn traverser and will easily accomodate a shunt loco and two four wheeled wagons, or a single American switcher or boxcar.

For a space starved version has anyone tried shortening a loco lift? The side pieces would be easy enough but the deck may be difficult to cut.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: What If syndrome Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob, for that information; I'd been wondering about Jack's version of Port Able and thinking that a car OR loco traverser was perhaps a bit limiting, the solution being a Locolifter and shorter UK or European stock giving loco + wagon(s) capacity.

I'd also be tempted to move the scenic break along a little to the right, to expose the crossover. If you had a building on either side of the line with some sort of gantry between them (footbridge, overhead pipework, etc) this could disguise the top of the "hole in the sky". The extra siding could then be covered with a low relief frontage.

Meanwhile I must look again at my Locolifter (still unused). It should be possible to cut the base in half, but you might only be able to run stock on/off via the original end - creating two one-ended Lifters. Anyone tried this one?

Giles
Versif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat use for the loco lift. I use mine to swap the loco on my shortline form the rear to the front of a train in the fiddle yard. Easier than trying to do it manually Smile

The suggestion about overhead pipework is good, my next layout will be using a connecting 'bridge' to link 2 buildings. Essentially a covered walkway from one part of the warehouse/mill to another. Relatively common in northern mill towns in the UK and not unheard of elsewhere.

Interesting point of cutting the loco lifter in two. I think it should be still possible to entry/exit at either end, afterall the loco lift rail is hollow and sits on top of the track itself. Assuming a clean cut and some fettling with a file it should still work.

Like the idea of exposing the crossover, I think pointwork adds visual interest but that may just be me Smile
johno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent tidy up in the loft has found a number of copies of MTI including No 66. Having read Jack's article and seeing Bob's Port Abel layout again has got me thinking about building a simular one with his permission. I want to keep it exactly to size of 24" x12" plus the lock lift so may Bob cound answer a few question please.
1. Is the turnout operated manually or a point motor fitted and is it a Peco Settrack or electrofrog?
2 . How was the baseboard built including the two strips of water?
3. I have a couple of wagons and loco fitted with B&B couplings for automatic uncoupling so was a magnet used and where was it put?

Sorry for so many questions.

Johno
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, the point was manually operated via my usual method. A piece of scrap rail or metal coathanger (I no longer have the layout to check) ran under one of the buildings so that it could be reached easily from the edge of the baseboard. The "point rod" is attached to the tie bar using paperclip wire soldered to the end of the rail/coat hanger and the handle end can be disguised in an oil drum or packing crate so that it blends into the scenery.

Dead frog or electrofrog? Sorry, can't remember but for a simple tuning fork type layout with power fed from the toe of the points it makes no difference.

The baseboard was thin plywood at water level with softwood frame on top of it. The water itself was made using putty for slight undulations, painted then covered with repeated coats of neat PVA to give the appearance of depth.

I uncoupled manually because the stock was either tension lock fitted for UK operation or Kadee fitted in US mode. There's plenty of room between track level and water level to add magnets wherever you want though. If I was going to do this again for delayed action magnetic uncoupling such as Kadees I would use permanent magnets just beyond the point on each siding, disguised as part of the level crossing, so that cars could be pushed clear of the magnets for recoupling. Alternatively, electro magnets could be fitted further along the sidings as required.

http://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-44-december-2005/

Third layout on the page.

The first photo of shows that the underside of the layout was fitted with a piece of carpet, I usually build my microlayouts with carpet off cuts or felt pads under them so that they can be used anywhere without fear of scratching table tops.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
davidbromage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you have waited another 3 weeks to revive this thread? Very Happy

Cheers
David
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Ten years, flipping heck, makes me feel old.

No it doesn't, the fact that I am old now makes me feel old!

I sometimes wish I'd never got rid of PA, I've built imitations since but never quite captured the simplicity and atmosphere of the original. Johno's questions have set me thinking about another version but I'm really not interested in OO or HO these days.

Already tried in in On18, I wonder if it would work in On30.

Confused Rolling Eyes Wink

johno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob for replying to my posting and the information about PA. I hope to start building something similar soon.

Johno
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's surprising how entertaining such a simple layout can be, both to build and operate.

It always got favourable comments when I took it to exhibitions. Though some of these were due to the unusual viewing angle because I showed it end on, with the audience looking inland along the pier, instead of sideways on. That's why the backscene only runs along behind the buildings with overhanging trees disguising the hole on the sky.

Keep us posted on your version please Johno. It's always a pleasure to read about new micro-layouts, especially as the Scrapbook does not publish new issues very frequently these days.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: