FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prototype for everything - GWR Princess Royal
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRACKED

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Loans of GNR Locomotives to the SECR Reply with quote

Here is another interesting loan of locomotives to cover an acute shortage
These locomotives were Ivatt rebuilds of Stirling 2-4-0's
The only change made was to change the lettering on the tenders to SE&CR.
They operated from Redhill, Tonbridge, Ashford, Ramsgate, Chatham (or Maidstone) and possibly Slades Green. They worked almost entirely on local stopping passenger trains in the country districts and were seldom seen at the London termini.
The locomotives involved were 204, 26, 699, 714, 756, 759, 820, 895, 898, 991, 992, 994, 995, 1067, 1069.

Details taken from an article in Model Railway News February 1940 by J N Maskelyne A.I.Loco.E., which included 3 photographs
CRACKED

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a letter in the June 1940 Model Railway News by KACR Nunn with a further two photographs.

Mention is made there of another loan of fifteen 0-6-0's from the Hull & Barnsley Railway in May 1915 until early 1920.
Cheshire001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbromage wrote:

Anything like this?
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_01_2010/post-6751-12640013547864_thumb.jpg

Redundant coaching stock was used as a brake van before ASLEF agreed to the guard riding in the rear cab of the loco.

Cheers
David

Exactly like that David! Am I correct in saying that freightliner flats would be fully air braked, so the guard would be there more as a result of long-standing manning agreements rather than operational necessity? Presumably this would account for the brake coach being at the front of the train rather than the traditional position for a brake van at the rear?
This also accounts for the filthy condition of the coach as a service vehicle rather than passenger carrying vehicle. Out of curiosity, why not use an ordinary brake van? Presumably a coach would be rated for higher speeds and be more stable/comfortable?
Cheshire001

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are always told the importance of running empty wagons to the colliery/quarry and substituting loaded wagons for the return journey. Don't bother.

See "Chester to Holyhead" by Jenkins & Loader(2015), p88.

Two class 31s with eight seacows heading along the coast from Edge Hill towards Penmaenmawr quarry. Five of the seacows are still loaded Shocked
Maybe they are going to ask for a refund? Maybe they don't want to uncouple the rake of wagons?

Last edited by Cheshire001 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheshire001 wrote:
Out of curiosity, why not use an ordinary brake van? Presumably a coach would be rated for higher speeds and be more stable/comfortable?

My Grandad was a goods guard and he told me it was because the speeds that freightliners ran were far higher than normal freight trains, so they needed bogie stock to carry the guard. He spoke highly of the bogie brake vans on the SR, but said the guards cabins designed to fit on a container flat were awful things.

I also heard tales of steam locomotives being repainted in the war at night, in their sheds, with whatever was to hand- I think sometimes different shades were used on different sides if the paint wasn't sufficiient, or they just stirred everything together. I know the tenders ere swapped around all the time so there must have bee n some variations there as well...
Cheshire001

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: GWR Princess Royal Reply with quote

From a caption on p24 of 'Stanier Locomotives', Brian Haresnape, Ian Allan 1970.

The picture shows a Princess Royal thundering along with a Western Region reporting number '130' displayed in large numerals on the smokebox door.

"Towards the end of Jan. 1956 the Western Region experienced bogie troubles with their King class 4-6-0s, and their temporary withdrawal for rectification resulted in a shortage of heavy express power. As a result, two Princess Royals. 46207/10 were loaned to Old Oak Common for two months...Their duties included the Cornish Riviera..."

As somebody born in Crewe, you can imagine the smaile on my face at the thought of Crewe's finest pulling a GWR crack express Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: