FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nissen huts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Nissen huts Reply with quote

Thought I had posted soimething before, but can't find it, so appologies if I am repeating myself.
I started working on a design for a modular model of the classic nissen hut. The real hut first entered service in 1916, was developed into the Quonset hut in USA in WW2, but my model is based on original 16ft wide British nissen hut.
3D printing had enabled me to add corrugations to both outside and inside. The framework is also present.One reason for doing modules is that this add to file size. Each module is a scale version of a 6ft long section. Standard length for many nissen huts was 36ft.
I have done front ends(wood or brick), back ends with and without end windows, ans various middle sections with windows and/or doors.

All that is needed is to glue sections together, glaze and paint.

These sheds were used in civilian and railway use, and by adding bricks under each side, it was even possible to create a cheap engine shed.

I have initially done these in 1/76 and 1/87 scales and intend to do other scales. Going smaller might be difficult, losing the corrugations, but bigger scales will be done.
The framework for a 36ft long shed is also available, ideal as either a dillapidated one or one under construction.
I might do versions in different widths, but am waiting to see the new Ratio kit before starting,as the photos suggest it will either be a 20ft or 24ft wide one. Also not sure what the interior will be.

All on my website now

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: