FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relaunched Model Railway Express e-mag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Relaunched Model Railway Express e-mag Reply with quote

just found link to relaunched emag Model Railway Express
https://issuu.com/drmepublishingltd/docs/model_railway_express_issue_one_dec?e=26483431/41082382
I have updated link above.
If this link does not work, use the one below. The link above has already changed once.

The old top page is here . Apart from having the link, some info still relates to old website.
http://www.mremag.com/
I think it will be monthly, although there are still references to 3 times a week.
It feels more like the old mags of 1960s, possibly like MTI and its predesessors.
It is possible to download, which I prefer so I can keep it safe. And it is FREE. That is a bonus, as it is something I would happily pay a small fee for.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Last edited by ruedetropal on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Simon. The mag does look quite interesting.

steve
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First link takes you to a "Dead" page - second link takes you to an open page - you need to click in the "banner" at the bottom - at least you do on my PC
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first link worked yesterday, but does not today. presumably a techncal hitch. It is a pity they have not a separate front page for the mag, especially given one reason for new mag etc is technical probs with old website.

I have updated the direct link, but it may go dead again. Hopefully the link on the old page will remain up to date.

allegheny1600

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see something 'new' and especially, free!
Very interesting to read SK's piece on the possibility of TT returning.
I wonder (IF it were to happen!) which scale would any commercial venture choose?
Were I to participate, I would go for Continental style 1/120th scale as track gauge would be quite accurate and there would be full compatibility with our European brethren, meaning potential sales in the Eurozone.
Be better, starting from scratch, to go for bang up to date models though, class 68, 88, 70 etc.
Class 66 already being available in Europe I believe (I was sorely tempted but have enough to do in UK H0!).

Cue, howls of protest from the remaining 3mm'ers busily scratchbuilding steam outline models in 1/100th! Wink
John.

My other club's exhibition:
http://forum.mtimag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2119
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a chance to read the bit about TT. Big mistake in article, 3mm/ft is 1/100 not 1/120. Continental and USA TT is 2.5mm/ft and 1/120 scale.
1/100 scale would nicely fit in with military modelling/wargaming 15mm figures and there are already buildings and accessories available. Of course TT is still in existence, with companies such as Tillig, but again it is 1/120 scale.
What would really boost the scale would be low cost motor units as are availale for N gauge.
I could also see there being a argument over the gauge and suggestions that new models should be nearer to scale gauge. 14mm gauge would have some advantages, especially as it would make it easier for 7mm scale.

A few years ago I was playing with an idea to create Irish 5ft 3in gauge using 16.5mm gauge(it is only 0.75mm over gauge). I re-wheeled an old Triang Jinty loco, but never finished it. It would be a lot easier now with 3D printing to create coach bodies. I think it might have been at same time I was talking to GEM at Manchester exhibition and was told that GEM had considered 5.5mm/ft scale running on 16.5mm gauge to represent 3ft gauge, as I was buying up TT items to convert to Irish models).
I had not realise Triang had given up on TT in 1964. I think GEM actually bought a lot of stock then, as it was that which was still being sold at exhibtion in 90s.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: