FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British HO/OO - Hammersmith and Chiswick branch ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: British HO/OO - Hammersmith and Chiswick branch ideas Reply with quote

Thought I should create a new thread.
I seem to remember an article about the old line to Hammersmith and Chiswick. Giles?

Anyway, it gave me a idea for my British HO project.
Given the way the are was countryside when the line was built in mid 19th century, there is some flexibility.
One problem with the line was its wrongly facing junction. I would suggest there was also a line pointing north. I have also thouht that the line could have been extended, curved round to the north of Chiswick House, and entered Chiswick station. This might make a good through route. Also a possible train service up to Watford.
Now I am thinking the Hammersmith and Chiswick station had been rebuilt Art Deco style in the 30s, and operated services using both LMS and SR stock, in effect a junction or a joint line.
I would then forward it to 50s/60s and have a small station layout with Midland region trains running serice to Watford, and Souther region operating traind to the south.

This is my idea for a British HO layout, but I am also considering a slightly different one for OO, in 1940s period. I noticed there is a road called Binns Road in Chiswick. Not exactly where I would want it, but slightly shifted it could be a station stop on this line. My plan is to use converted Hornby Dublo Art Deco buildings,hence the Binns Road theme. Some of the other lines(Underground) might find themselves being moved. Iwant an excuse to use my Heljan Metropolitan/LT loco.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it wasn't me - it was Stuart Robinson, I think. I did know about the branch in your time period as I used to drive over the level crossing near Turnham Green (Bath Road?), but by then the line must have closed.

Regarding routes in the area, and earlier LSWR routes connecting with the Richmond branch - going towards London from Hammersmith & Chiswick you might travel via the old connection to Shepherds Bush (LSWR) and then on to Addison Road/Kensington (Olympia) and Clapham Junction. As this wasn't all electrified (though I suppose it might have been) you might justify an M7 or BR standard tank loco and some Maunsell coaches (as were used on the POSB services to and from Olympia in the 1960s). By the 1960s this would probably be a couple of trains each way in the AM and PM rush hours.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Giles. I remember the article, but most of my mags are down in France so can not check.quite a bit online.
One of the things with london, is that it is possible to come up with some 'fictional' but plausible ideas.
Much of the trackbed(it was only 1.5miles) is still clear and obviously an old railway line.
The station is just a bit too far south to create a nice curve tound to Chiswick station, so maybe having line move to the west just after it comes under the Picadilly line.

I must have travelled round the area when I was very young, but don't remember seeing anything. My parents had lived just down the road , in the early 50s, and my father had grown up the other side of Shephards Bush, but we never went back there. Not that anything was said, but maybe the war broke the bonds to the area. It was only when one of my daughters was doing some work at Hammersmith hospital, that my father mentioned he had gone to the school next door.

I remember reading about inner, middle and outer circle lines, lots of potential, but given I was born in Croxley Green, where the Oerlikon EMUs ran, the idea of a through service connecting down to H&C appeals. As my cousin's grandfather was station master at Rickmansworth (presumably the Met one given where he actually lived) then I also want a layout to use the Met loco, and a photo showing one outside Paddington pre war confirms that they did operate outside their normal area.
It is two separate projects, two different time periods, but both with a link to a fictional adaptation of a real line. Finding a Binns Road in the area was a bonus and clinched the deal.

I will probably build both using IKEA APA boxes, now tat I have foun a bag on wheels to transport them, but only one at a time!

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: