FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Anthony Adler collection, auction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allegheny1600

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: The Anthony Adler collection, auction Reply with quote

Hello All,
Just a heads up really. Anthony (Tony) Adler RIP, was a very keen collector of model railway items, mainly in H0 scale European but with a very eclectic range of tastes so there were examples from all over the world including the better models from the UK (Golden Age models etc).
I happened across this collection purely by chance while I was looking for information on early German electric locos and I must say, it was an enormous collection. Truly a case of "he who dies with the most toys, wins"! Of which the corollary is "He who dies with the most toys, still dies".
Anyway, I attempted to win a couple of nice Trix items, a multi axle 'Schnabel wagon" being one, also bidding on a Rivarossi "Blauer Enzian" set for my dear colleague D and I watched many other items to see what they may go for, purely out of curiosity. D persuaded me to put a much higher bid on than I would have done but, he really, really wanted this set so we agreed to match the price such sets were going for on German ebay.
Much to our great surprise and disappointment, all our bids were surpassed! Someone was out there, bidding like crazy to win as many items as possible.
Now, I can stand losing, despite the surprise of losing what I considered to be a very fair bid indeed however;

Is it a co-incidence that noticeable items are turning up on ebay already, from that well known ebay shop from Sheffield? Such items have vastly inflated prices compared with available items from Europe! Obviously, I can't say "don't buy from them"! But I can advise anyone wanting such things to check availability from Europe too as even with postage charges, such things can work out a LOT cheaper.
Just a fair warning!
John.

My other club's exhibition:
http://forum.mtimag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2119
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar note, I always wonder about eBay lots that are photographed still with their auction lot numbers attached. Lazy, certainly, but also lacking a certain provenance as far as the details are concerned - probably "untested", too!
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

given how many people are just collectors , not modellers, then testing is not an issue as they will just get put in a cupboard. At best they may get displayed.
There are currently some very silly prices for the Hornby Peckett. Yes it is a nice model, and Hornby are now happy to have sold out, but it still leaves a sour taste and does not help the hobby. Hopefully Hornby have another batch being produced, otherwise they are complicent in this.

John, was that the collection that was on local TV the other night?

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
allegheny1600

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon,
Yes, I believe it was on "North West Tonight", BBC1 18.30 onwards. Unfortunately I missed it but I understand that the whole collection had been donated to charity.
Wow! Lucky charity, the collection must have netted pushing half a mil!
Cheers,
John.

My other club's exhibition:
http://forum.mtimag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2119
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone has told me they were selling in batches.Probably not best way to get highest price, although I suspect there was a lot bought by some well known traders for reselling. The 150000 they were quoting as expected money to be made sounded very low for such a big collection. The report was not too bad, but did still put the steriotype view of railway enthusiasts.

I am sure the report can be seen online.

Interestingly they had a report on the Liverpool Lime Street layout a couple of days later, and showed more trains actually running that I (and many others) have seen when it has been exibited.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: