FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Andy's Workbench: 1:55 scale Krokodil. Hopefully.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Andy's Workbench: 1:55 scale Krokodil. Hopefully. Reply with quote

As the holidays are over the Kreisbahn has gone into the cellar until I can make a box, and my modelmaking has shrunk to my cutting mat until Christmas. Remarkably, Iíd actually planned things this way instead of simply running out of time.

I have a liking for Krokodil locomotives, and Iíve been hoarding two Kato chassis to build one. Of course, as soon as I started I found someone on the NGRM forum had done exactly the same thing, and very handily too, but that at least meant I could Ďadaptí (i.e. Ďstealí) their method for connecting the two units, and actually make a chassis without fretting about it for weeks, so a cpouple of hours cutting Łplasticard resulted in this:

I decided this was a prototype, which is a polite way of saying it contains so many mistakes it isnít worth carrying on, so I started again.

So far we have these:

The locomotive will be loosely based on the V29 locomotive that ran on the Altensteig line in the Black Forest, although after Iíve finished shoehorning the design into a track gauge half the scale width of the original and put in a bit here and a bit there to make up for my model making shortcomings, I doubt it will have more than a passing resemblance to the original.

We shall see...
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after some wrestling with plasticard, I managed to make Krokodile #2:

Thereís a fine balance on these articulated locomotives between allowing enough space between cab and power units to get arond curves and landing myself with a mahoosive great hole in the locomotive. Still, itís all a learning experience

The next lesson was that while making a smaller gap is good, making it too small means the locomotive canít get around curves, and youíll spend half an hour filing the sides down to get it to work properly, and even then the loco still occasionally dropped a wheel on the tighter curves, and worryingly on some random point on the bridge.

Besides, there were several other things annoying me about the design, so decided to start Krokodil #3:

I'm a bit further on than this picture. Will post again soon.
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit further on with the Krokodil than the pictures show, and finally reaching the 'detaling' stage. I've been looking in some bemusement at pictures of narrow gauge trains. A lot of European locomotives seem to have two large pipes hanging off the front end. I can see one wil be the air brakes, but what of the other? On the basis both pipes have the same appearance, I'm guessing the second is some kind of 'common return' for the brake system, or a backup for the main brakes, but I really have no idea. Any suggestions?

And what else is there? On some locomotives I can see whal appears to be an electrical cable, and a few railcars seem to have a jumper cable, presumably for multiple working, but that is all I can fathom from guesswork and old photographs.
CRACKED

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most countries used steam heating for their carriages at some time. This used the exhaust steam from the locomotive. A similar pipe to the brake pipe was used. Early British Diesel and Electric Locomotives had steam heating boilers for this purpose. There are two points of particular note in regard to this:-
1. The tanks for this purpose were filled using the normal water cranes.
2. The commonest cause of locomotive failure in their early days was the failure of these steam heating boilers. They were meant to be automatically controlled, but this was so problematic that eventually a second man had to be employed purely to look after them

The second but less common reason was that there were two different and incompatible braking system in use the Vacuum system and the Air (Westinghouse) system. One hose used for each different system.

The electrical jumpers are either for multiple unit working or to provide electric power and heating to the train (ETH in the UK). (rather than relying on dynnamos and batteries on each carriage).

You can guess what is coming next.

British Railways decided to standardise on the more efficient air brake system and modern air conditioned roling stock. At one stage BR had locomotives equipped with both braking systems and both heating systems, so it was possible to see three pipes on the buffer beam, likewise with some carriages.
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as some weathering eperiments, I've finally caught up with myself. Krokodil #3 is looking rather better than previous attempts. It goes around corners for one thing...

I can now say I scratchbuild locomotives with brass, and not just for the railings...

I'm using it for other fiddly bits as well. Admittedly just to wrap plasticard around it, but still...

I was wondering whether to build another cab unit, but after fretting about it for a ridiculous amount of time the remaining brain cells suddenly realised that the cab is held down with one screw, meaning I can replace it at any time I like if it annoys me too much.
Of course, then you have the danger that the cab wonít fit the power units, so those will be replaced again. At the current rate the whole thing will be a variation of the proverbial grandfatherís hammerÖ
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always a silver lining. Having restarted this project several times over, I found myself in possesion of several half built locomotive bodies, and this week I decided to find something useful to do with them, namely figure out what colour this locomotive should be. I also wanted to play about a bit and see what effects I could produce.

The Hofelbachbahn like to think of itself as a pretty go-ahead, professional organisation, which looks after its locomotives pretty well. It is also just this side of broke, and run by some local authorities that are watching its every move. This Krokodil is supposed to be about a year old, generally looked after though heavily used, as it is the main heavy freight locomotive and also probably the fastest loco in the fleet. Maintenance facilities are adequate, but not lavish, and there isn't a lot of spare time or money for luxuries like cleaning.

This means I can have a generally clean locomotive, but gives enough leeway to weather it enough to hide my mistakes.

I'll post the results soon...
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One complete Krokodil. This is quite startling.

I even remmbered to include all the small details I usually intend to add and then forget in my impatience to get finished. Details like the air hoses, although as usual I managed to lose one in the process and had to make a replacement -I think next time Iíll just make lots of spares straight off and save myself the bother- and handles on the doors and inspection covers.

Of course it would have been better to have remembered those handles before painting the whole locomotive, but you canít have everything.

Iíve mixed feelings about the driver. On the one hand, a driver is rather important to the smooth operation of a locomotive, on the other it is a bit obvious that he is missing legs and most of his torso...

After faffing about and trying to find a supplier of white number transfers, finding one in the UK that wouldnít accept my German debit card (Brexit began several years ago according to most UK banks) and then finding a German supplier, I realised I wasnít going to be able to apply them better than a printed white-on-black square. I probably should have used printable transfers but it seemed a lot of effort and money for such a small number, so it is normal computer paper and I suspect 80% of people wonít notice. I used a water based glue so I can take them off and do it Ďproperlyí if it annoys me.

Complete and weathered it doesnít look half bad, not as good as Iíd have liked, but better than Iíd dared hope I could manage, so Iím, happy.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Andy. Well done. Like you, I'm often impatient to get a new model on the tracks and don't always do the final details, thinking I'll go back and finish off later; I rarely do so Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: