FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puerto Paseo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

Bob - I did think of that but, I don't know, does it look a bit like suburban stock; I want these to look like main line coaches. Moxy - I have thought of a balcony ended version. Someone is selling such conversions on eBay and they look good. If the railcar doesn't come to fruition, the last coach parts may get turned out like this.

However, I've already cut the coaches up, and will post some pictures in a couple of days to show progress to date. I'm quite pleased with the way they're going - but the mixed ends need sorting out. Quite a lot to think about there.

By the way, the home team won 5-1!

Last edited by giles b on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a catch up of the preliminary work on the new coaches. First is the donor chassis - a Tri-ang caboose. I have another of these and a short boxcar, which has the same pattern of bogies. As with the FCyO's boxcars, which used the same underframe, I have had to cut away the stretcher bars at the outer ends of the bogies, in order to be able to mount the Kadee couplers.

Next is the body up on its wheels. I still have to figure out a way of joining the two and adding the seating, which will need modifying to provide end bulkheads to the passenger compartment and also a suggestion of the w.c.

The end will need quite a bit of tidying up, as the gap for the corridor connection is now a bit too wide. Also, I need to think about how much the bellows connections stick out, and indeed how to make them, as I assume that ready-made O gauge ones would be too large for a narrow gauge coach. You can see the 8mm spacer that has been added to make the vehicle's width equal other Isla Blanca rolling stock.

As a footnote, some pictures of some very similar coaches appeared on a You-tube clip of a train running alongside a football pitch with a match in progress. Not sure what country it was.

Edit: Just had another look at the video. There are several available on You-Tube (look for train runs through football match). Most of these last about 30 seconds, but there is a longer 7 minute version on Bing.com/videos which is entitled CHZ - steam train runs through the football. It has extra footage of the train, and it's follower, which looks to have been a tw0-part enthusiasts' special. It also clearly shows the coaches have the standard narrow gauge open platforms with concertina railings, so not the enclosed connections I'd expected.

By the way, the home team won 5-1!
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coach conversion has turned out to be more complicated than expected - several internal bulkheads, some with windows, plus seating. Rather a lot of waiting for glue and paint to dry as the shell needs to be complete internally before being glued to the chassis. So - some waiting time and I've finally got round to deciding on the design of the brake-end coach. This is to be made out of two "doorless" sides: a before and after picture shows the work that needs to be done, and I'll have to be careful to make the second side a mirror image.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new coaches are slow work, and the photos show the amount of packing, re-panelling and filling needed to get a smooth finish. I'm not even sure the roofs are finished, yet, either.

The brake coach's two halves are nearly finished - that's the easy part. The worst bit is putting in the separating liner under the roof while maintaining a 10mm gap, which cannot be filled until the liner has set in place. Meanwhile the lower edges of the body want to get closer, and if you put the spacer pieces in too soon, the roof liner comes unstuck! It's all a bit of a juggling act.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think trimming the existing roofs back to the walls and adding a new one piece replacement might have been a simpler option.

Perhaps easy with hindsight.

I've bodged a few freight car scale conversions with the gap in the middle. None of them came out with quite parallel sides.
Some of them subsequently rebuilt with solid replacement roofs, the rest scrapped.

[duck-for-cover-mode]I'll get me coat[/duck-for-cover-mode]

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right about making a new start on the roof, Bob. As usual it was the thought of carving three identical compound curves out of balsa that put me off. I think if the parallel lines on the roof need disguising I will run a length of thin styrene rod along the bad join and say it's electrical conduit for the carriage lighting. My other thought of a parcel tape walkway just looks a bit odd; too boxcar-like. A few streamlined ventilators might help, too. Not sure the scrap-box has anything suitable in it, though.

A bit late now, but it does occur to me that a balsa block the width of the inside of the body would hold the sides the correct distance apart for them to be upright, while the roof join sets. Funny how one thinks of the easier solutions having done the job the hard way.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coaches continue (slowly) towards completion. The bodywork on all three is finished, but still needs a little fettling There are two underframes ready (old Tri-ang caboose underframes, fitted with new wheels) and a third may use either a boxcar or a broken "shorty" TPO, which will provide bogies of a more British appearance.

The caboose bodies have been put aside for another project, namely a second Bobber caboose. It has been decided that the bogie caboose will be retired as it is rather long, and a shorter one would aid shunting and also save a little space when parked in the goods yard. I have an old metal Tri-ang wagon underframe available, which will make the new caboose a little shorter than the other Bobber. Perhaps this one will belong to the mining company and be turned out in something other than red - something to be decided much later. The main use for the cut-down bodies will be to make the cupola ends, there being a pair of small windows in each side.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, after doing some work on the three coaches, I had to wait for glue to dry. The latest work is some electrical conduit attached to the carriage ends to mask the filled joins where the vehicles have been widened.

In consequence, the little Bobber caboose has gained wooden sides thanks to a well-known modelling resource. As the body is so small it will be lit by the cupola windows, and possibly by windows in the end doors. These will be dummies as the whole body has been clad. I'll put the doors (which slide) on as overlays with some black paint behind the glazed panels - below the overhanging roof ends, this should be just about undetectable. When I came to fit the wheels, it turned out that the ancient metal chassis was a bit tight, and the wheels were stuck in place. A little work with the cutting wheel eased the clearances and now the wheels revolve freely. I was quite surprised by this, as the wheels had been originally been designed as replacements for the steamroller Tri-ang wheels
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wooden box on wheels - soon to be the second Bobber caboose.......

.... and one of the Norte coaches, with electrical conduit in place on the ends, but still needing a little more work on the body before another coat of paint.

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the tourist coaches nearing completion (or should that be nearing near completion?) I'm having problems with deciding the livery of the Norte loco to haul them. Current thinking is that the train should be diesel-powered, partly as a contrast to the other engines in use, and also because the train has to wait all day at Paseo, and a diesel could be put on the siding beside the forge and locked up for the day, while the train crew go off and enjoy themselves for a few hours.

The problem is what goes with the green that the coaches have been painted. The scheme is supposed to reflect the LNER Tourist livery, or so I believe, but I don't want a loco the same colour - it really is a bit on the bright side! Black would work, but is difficult to photograph, but might have a broad white mid-way stripe along the body to cheer it up a bit. I could go with Hull red, varnished to bring out the colour, or perhaps dark Holly green. If the loco and coaches were to have the same green this should look OK, at the cost of having to repaint the coaches - but they need another coat of paint, anyway, so that's no real problem.

Perhaps I should wait until the right loco comes along. More news on that, with luck, tomorrow evening. Failing that, the scrap box contains some possibilities, but these call for rather drastic alterations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: