FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puerto Paseo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding couplings within the rake, fall plates and gates.

I'd be tempted to use drawbars between the coaches here, they could be made to the correct length to suite the gates and fall plates instead of you possibly having to alter these features to fit the couplings.

I'm contemplating similar drawbars between the coach and baggage car of the FCPyF's mail train to prevent accidental uncoupling inside the carriage shed, which means I have to get my arm jammed in the shed's doorway to reach the missing vehicle. Rolling Eyes

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did contemplate using some spare Hornby couplings, but as the long Kadees were in stock, and unlikely to be needed elsewhere, they were what got used. Looking at the prototype picture, then originals are using long-shanked couplers, too.

If I need the Kadees in the future, I can always fit the other couplings later. At least, for now, I can couple the coaches in any order or add other coaches to the rake.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint is drying on the new work on the coach ends. Meanwhile I thought to check the length of the rake - it does fit into platform 3 without fouling platform 2 at Puerto Paseo, and when shunted back into the platform all couplings are clear of the uncoupling magnet.

Soon be time to think about the FC Norte loco to haul the train. A suitable eBay purchase arrived recently. Photos to come.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Soon be time to think about the FC Norte loco to haul the train...

Erm... Very Happy

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to Erm... is this - an elderly Piko class 110 Bo-bo

The new body will come from these Dock Authority diesels

Comparisons from the side and above show that about a cab-and-a-half is needed to create enough length, or a totally new cab. I particularly like the 1950s retro look of these bodies so will try and go with making the 2 cabs a bit taller when they are spliced together.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dock loco cab rears will provide the windows front and rear of the new loco cab, if you leave the doors attached they will provide four side windows, just needs a new door for each side then.

Alternatively, a cab either end with the bonnet between them might work for a main line loco. A bit like the rebuilt Funky on the Festiniog Railway but with a lower hood.

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
The dock loco cab rears will provide the windows front and rear of the new loco cab, if you leave the doors attached they will provide four side windows, just needs a new door for each side then.

My thoughts exactly, Bob, as that appears to provide a new body shell the correct length to cover the Piko mechanism. I haven't done any detailed measurements, but I suspect the new cab will need a little more height, which I think could be a styrene strip let in just below the side windows. That way it could also be painted on the side of the bonnet, resulting in a black and white loco, something like that early LMS diesel (number 10000, was it?)
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an aside, this says scratch built but looks to be a nicely done conversion of the same coaches that you've used. It's approximately what I'd aim for if doing a version for the FCPyF.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7mm-to-ft-Narrow-Gauge-O-16-5-On30-Scratchbuilt-bogie-coach-Kadee-Couplings/362096733747

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those conversions have been around a while, now. At least I hope they have, and it's not the same one that just isn't selling. As a conversion idea, it does solve the problem of the "one-sided" doors rather neatly.

Last edited by giles b on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Norte coaches are within sight of the finish, now. Just a set of end gates to be added, plus battery boxes and generators to add underneath. Some steps for the passenger doors would help, too.

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A start has been made on the Norte's diesel locomotive. I'm using less of the Dock shunters than expected - just the bonnets and corner steps. After a detailed examination of the size of the new engine and the OO scale cabs, I came to the conclusion that cutting, splicing and widening the OO cabs would be a worse task than doing the same to the three new bogie coaches, so a styrene cab is under construction.

Apologies for not getting all eight wheels on the track - too busy trying to get the unglued cab to stand up.

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Norte diesel has got to the first coat of paint stage, but which livery? I visited a show on Saturday and bought some BR steam loco blue paint, which was tried out on a scrap HO diesel body. With a thin yellow stripe it looked good, but did not really fit comfortably with the lettuce-&-salad-cream coaches. Another attempt was made with dark (JNR) green for the main body with a wide stripe of coach green, which almost worked - but not quite. The final scheme is Nato Black, which is not as dark as matt black. Horizontal white stripe and buffer beams still to be added. While waiting for the paint to dry I have managed to add steps for the passenger doors on two of the new coaches, and have got about half-way with steps for the Brake/3rd.

Meanwhile, the second-hand trader at the show had a Piko 0-6-0T for sale, which looked familiar. Closer examination proved, from various modifications and repairs, to be one of my "Schneider" look-alike locos from Ste Emilie, which I sold off some thirteen years ago. I've now met up with both these engines; the other is still going strong, having been re-modified. It is now a Portuguese locomotive!
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new diesel, in undercoat black. The coach's new steps are also visible - and need to be modified to be nearer the end of the body, something not so apparent to the naked eye, but shown up by the angle of the photo.

giles b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed a little modelling time over the week-end. The coach steps have been re-positioned and look much better, while the diesel has had the start of its lining-out applied. As this is freehand with slightly diluted white paint, it needs another go before being camera-ready.

At present the body is not connected to the motor block as I don't have a long enough bolt of the correct type. I may be able to pick one up at a show this coming week-end, but if not, will have to resort to a bodge to make a long enough body-fixing screw.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, the camera shows up something the naked eye missed seeing - but here is the rake of Norte coaches and the new locomotive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: