FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this the future? (Shellsea Harbour)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread just gets better and better. I love it.

Thank you Giles.

Regards Peter
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was the first day of the Croydon show. After a bit of coupling adjustment and a Terrier body swap to a better mechanism, things went well. Here are a few pictures, with more to come after tomorrow.

Here the Southern's Terrier leaves for the main line with a couple of vans.

The little 0-4-0 Pug got its first proper run and proved a very good performer. It will become a regular, rather than the spare loco, I suspect.

Finally, one of the coaches and a fish van waits for the loco to arrive for the journey back to the main line.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things we learned the hard way................... following the recent show it seems likely that the upper rear wall-panels of the station canopy will have smoke escape holes cut into them. This will give the operators a visual check on whether there is a locomotive still hiding out of sight.

Meanwhile, having left the camera behind while packing up at the end of the day, any new photos will be slightly delayed though I'm happy to say the camera and some newly-purchased items have turned up and can be repatriated in a couple of days.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happily I regained possession of the camera today, so here are a few more pictures from the Croydon show, starting with one looking the other way compared to the last picture, above.

Some of the wagons. The two vans have the same Hornby body type on wooden underframes from Dundas models. The oxide one is an ex-Hull & Barnsley vehicle, now lettered for the LNER but still with its old number with an HB prefix. The GER van features some added strapping to alter its appearance.

Lastly, a shot I've been trying to take for some time; finally got it right.
mog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just caught up with this thread Giles (I don't do much forum lurking these days)

Bloody gorgeous!

You know your original Shellsea plan is high on my list of 'must build' layouts. I nearly did it recently actually but still playing with US HO trains

Mogtrains2 at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.com/
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKcRvdN719g66eDzc2iUN1w
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Martin; glad you like it. There should be something about the layout in a not too distant edition of SRI. Meanwhile, Shellsea is taking the back seat at present as its next show isn't for six months - just a short snagging list to attend to before then.

On other fronts, Puerto Paseo should be at the Orpington show in January (I'm praying it won't be snowy!). Over on 1860, now entitled Great Sutton, the baseboards have been built and wagon building is also progressing well. Hope to have some new pictures in the relevant thread before long.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smoke holes in the station canopy have been cut out. They shouldn't be too noticeable from the public side, but give the operator a good view of the uncoupler, so it will be easier to check where to stop the train when backing coaches or wagons in under the canopy.

Shellsea's next show isn't until next June, so I can pack the layout away now, and concentrate on building Great Sutton.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owing to unforeseen circumstances, I've had to cancel my show obligations for much of the year. I'm hoping that Shellsea may get out again at the end of October, and will post confirmation later, if this is possible. Otherwise the layout is being booked in for next year.

Meanwhile here is a shot taken some time ago.

It's a scene that may change in future, from time to time, as I've been experimenting with my second Bulstrode barge. This has now been turned into one of those disreputable looking small craft that chug about in harbours. This one has a large tank fitted in the hold so has probably something to do with the transfer of lamp oil, or some other flammable liquid, over to the island. It can be loaded from the siding beside the ferry company's workshop.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the work done to date on the oil barge. Ingredients: Bulstrode, an old Tri-ang wagon tank, some scraps of Dapol signal box and some Tri-ang caboose ladder for the side windows. Still a bit rough and ready, and needs a coat of paint to pull all the various bits together. I'm a little undecided about the wheel-house roof, which came from the donor vessel, but I'll live with it for now.

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil barge is almost finished - just some weathering needed on the hull, and the centre of the fenders need drilling out to make them look more like old tyres.

It makes a nice contrast to the passenger ferry, despite their common ancestry.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Tomy Trackmaster Bulstrode? How long are they from stem to stern, and how easy to dismantle? Might be useful for small fishing boats in O scale.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Max overall length 133mm. Maximum width 50mm. Waterline to top of bulwarks 20mm. A couple of screws underneath hold everything together, so very easy to dismantle. I think it was a Trackmaster model. There are quite a few different makes with different scales. I think the cabin on this one is distinctive enough to identify it.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's around 20 feet long and 8 feet wide, good enough for small fishing boats, I'll have a gander on fleabay. Thanks.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received confirmation that Shellsea is still expected to be at the Beckenham & West Wickham club's show on Saturday 28th October. I'd better have a look at the To Do list!

http://www.bwwmrc.co.uk/exhibitions/StJohn17Oct/index.shtml
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was supposed to test the power feeds on the layout today, but instead spent the time re-writing the operating cards, as several of them had gone missing. I plan to attach a T-bar with a ring-binder on top to the backscene, so that not only will the operator have clear instructions, but the public will know what moves to expect (or see when the operator makes a mess of things - yes, I know, you were going to say that. Laughing)

Meanwhile, I have time for the testing tomorrow, luckily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: