FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1860 and all that
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some bare wood planks, as recent repairs, might help with the missing/incorrect lettering. Wink

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bear that in mind, Bob. The reason Swansea is missing the final letters is that modelling time had run up against meal time!

I've given provisional notice to show Salop Street next Spring, so with a thought to saving construction time I'm about to strip the ply top and track off Great Sutton and fix a new top on. The fiddle yard will probably be a slightly lengthened yard from the other layout, but without the gimmicks (traverser/sector table). I managed to pick up a couple of very cheap Peco 3-way points recently, so will use one of those. If I then lay the sidings in diagonally, I can fit in the longest likely trains, and keep the fiddle board to 30 inches in length - trials are ongoing, but it looks possible. The problem is not to overhang a six-foot table too much, as I can then travel without full-height layout legs.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the re-geared locomotives has been away receiving some adjustments to the conversion. It was returned to its home metals over the week-end and a new body is already taking shape. This is using most of a GWR 101 with Nellie smoke-box and (probably) bunker. Apart from slight differences with the boiler fittings it will be the same "class" as one of the red unconverted engines. Pictures in a day or so.

Tomorrow should see the top going onto the new baseboard, and if time allows the cork underlay, as well.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much a warts-and-all shot of the new locomotive, with construction still in progress. I like the overall look, so just need to finish off the filling and fettling. More Kadees arrived this morning, so those Hornby couplings will soon be a thing of the past. The blue bits of the model are Nellie, and the green are GWR Holden tank loco. White metal boiler fittings by K's and Wrightlines.

This may also become a "spare" loco for Shellsea, as it looks a little more modern than the other re-geared locomotives.

giles b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly there. I've managed to add some cable-sheathing, split lengthways, to the safety valves to make them a bit more realistic. Also mended the broken cab-steps by grafting on the steps of the Nellie body.

Now after a touch more paint and a coat of varnish, plus some Kadees, we'll be done. Must look and see if I've got a spare coat-of-ams transfer for the tank-side.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the annoying things about the Hornby 0-4-0 chassis is the way the connecting rods are in an open channel (the cylinders) once the body is removed. Inevitably, while juggling the body back into place the rods come loose, or jam up inside the tanks.

No more! While mending the rear coupling on "Jumbo", I realised that a thin slice of styrene or card might be worked into the top of the slot. Turns out that a thin strip of mounting card works best (presumably because the con-rod can cut a groove into it, if it needs to). Now getting the body on and off is less of a struggle, and it seems to fit onto the chassis better, too.

This conversion is well suited to the GWR loco body; on the saddle tanks the metal footplate clicks into place more securely, so this modification is not really needed.

The brake van in the background is new and only partially complete. Can't make up my mind whether to leave it as it is, or else add sloping roofs over the open sections, and side doors, and call it a road van. Meanwhile, the other news is - the station tracklaying is done.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modelling time seem to be at a premium, just now, although I have started to letter the Mid-Shropshire Railway's goods wagons, with creative use of some LMS wagon transfers. This is using up a lot of sheets as only the smallest lettering - around one plank high - is appropriate for the period. In any case, the larger lettering just looks wrong on such tiny wagons.

I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last the MSR is getting a corporate image - if such a concept existed in 1860 Smile These three wagons are for minerals or coal traffic. The bodies use the outer corners of Hornby cattle wagons.

Having used up my cattle wagons, I needed to go elsewhere to provide for livestock traffic. These open cattle trucks were formerly a NER hopper wagon, now on a Jouef vintage underframe, and the body from a stake truck lorry, with the unused cattle doors, mounted on a conventional British style chassis plus a large wooden brake block (just visible). "Right" and "wrong" lettering styles - the large letters are due to be replaced.

Finally a pair of opens, as yet unfinished. Once all the wagons have been lettered, I'll do any necessary touch-ups and add some weathering.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modelling time has only come in occasional 30 minute slots recently, hence the work on lettering the rolling stock. However, over the last few days I've started laying in the wiring, which is due to terminate in some choc blocks fixed to the rear of the backscene dividing the scenic are and the fiddle yard. The control panel will fit over this, so it can be reached from either side of the baseboard. All this is extremely un-photogenic, so there are no new pictures.

A couple of shows ago I managed to buy some Bilteezi building sheets in 3mm scale; these have now been swapped for 4mm scale equivalents, so I have some cut-out structures to help make up the parts of the town visible from the railway yard. The brick "terraced" cottage/shops should be useful, and possibly the half-timbered barn and other small matching sheds which can be used by the local feed and seed firm. There is also a half-timbered cottage, although I'll probably substitute tiles for its thatched roof.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: