FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Drum query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Oil Drum query Reply with quote

Does anyone know when the corrugated-side oil drum (as modelled in 4mm by Merit/Peco) was introduced? My suspicion is around WW2, but what sources of information I've found are more interested in the methods of rolling and joining the steel, or the evolution of bungs and other technical matters regarding manufacturing. I bought some of the Merit variety recently, but then wondered if Shellsea (set in 1926) would be too early to use them.

I do remember the Mastermodel metal castings of the earlier straight sided drums, and was surprised to see how long they have been in use.

For Salop Street, it seems what oil was being transported in the 1860s would almost certainly have been in wooden barrels, so my freelance 3-barrel "tank wagon" which perhaps carries lamp oil, may not be so far-fetched, after all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: