FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spares and repairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Spares and repairs Reply with quote

Over the past few years I've won several job-lots on eBay that included damaged or outright broken items, but which with a bit of TLC could still be useful.

Two of these items were Hornby 4-wheeled crane underframes, both without wheels and with the wheel mountings damaged. I've now located some suitable wheels (for Ratio coaches) and have a cunning plan for these for later.

Meanwhile, one had a crane mechanism with the centre of the jib missing. This has now been filled with some new U-girder sides and cross-bracing from the side of an RAF aeroplane recovery trailer (a 10p bargain found at a club's 2nd hand stand).

Also in the spares box was this base-plate that could be the swivelling base for the crane, and - if I decide to model it as a steam crane - a useful bit of old lorry that can be clad in corrugated plastic and used as the cab.

While I'm no longer building a layout, these construction jobs can be visited from time to time and will finally use up some of the bits that have been lurking, some for years, in a crowded scraps box.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crane base has been trimmed and looks good. Work has paused while I look for some wheels to add to the ends of the winding pegs. When it's finished I'll see if it can go on the wharf on Shellsea Harbour.

Meanwhile, I've been getting on with the conversion for the crane's running chassis. It's being up-scaled to Gn15.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks as if I'll have some more raw material available for this thread. I was selling these wagons today, but nobody bid.

I have in mind a couple of O-16.5 narrow gauge tourist coaches for the opens and an enclosed van (brake van, maybe?) for the van, although it might just do for a conversion for Salop Street. No ideas yet for the tanker. Also got some Jouef HO BR goods brakes to convert or sell.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't take much to convert one of those open wagons into a tourist coach (providing your tourists are weatherproof). Laughing

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder of the FCPyF's torist coaches, Bob.

I think my open wagon with cupboard doors will be converted as yours, while the "British tube wagon" with drop doors may end up longer, with end platform entrance(s). I have some suitable tourists ready and waiting, once the wagons are complete. No idea of a design for the van - probably just build a box around the original body, as this is slightly damaged (and a fairly crude moulding, anyway). I got the wagons because of their odd springs, which I thought looked quirky enough to use on 1860, but already have more wagons than needed for that layout.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also box the tanks in, though just adding rocket stick solebars to make the wagons wider, then new ladders and access hatches as required, works for On30 tank conversions.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I've got a bit of rocket stick somewhere, Bob, but pickings have been slim the last couple of years.

Not sure at present which underframe to use with which conversion - as usual I'm planning some body/chassis swaps, as the brake underframes already have the start of a step-board for the tourist coaches. I'm also in half a mind to make the crane a rail-mounted one, so a couple of flat (ex-open) underframes would be useful - or I could use the tanker's one. Always a bit in two minds about cylindrical tanks on narrow gauge lines; I know they did exists (on the Donegal, to fuel the fishing fleet at Killybegs, I think) but it can look a bit contrived, which is why it took so long to get the 4-wheel molasses tanker for Puerto Paseo to look believable.

Meanwhile the first of the conversions of the crane underframe is well under way, as a quarry man-rider in Gn15 scale. Come to think of it, why don't I just mount the crane back on its own chassis - now I've sorted out how to refit the wheels into journal boxes that had been routed out, and so made fairly useless. Seems like a good plan!
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crane was tried out on the quayside at Shellsea. Looked good but a little too large - the winding mechanism area is heavy industrial in feeling, and if I boxed it in to make it into a steam crane, it would look even more massive. Instead I have started work to make it into a medium-sized travelling crane for 7mm/On30. There is a spare Hornby chassis for the crane's runner/tool wagon, or one of the Jouef underframes could be used.

Meanwhile, a trawl through the bits box uncovered a Hornby Transcontinental reefer, with missing roof; this could be given a roof, or up-scaled to On30. The wheels would need modifying or replacing. From the same manufacturer - the floor and running gear of a TC stock car, slated for conversion to a boxcar in On30 using the same methods as the two made for Puerto Paseo. Something like this.........

There is also a Tyco caboose chassis that has already been widened, so that looks like another On30 boxcar or perhaps a gondola. The plastic chassis has bowed with the glue used to add the wider platform, so the body may have to reflect this. To its advantage, it has Kadees already fitted.

There are also three Jouef HO BR brake vans, needing useful employment.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little progress on the On30 travelling crane, which now has a runner wagon courtesy of a Jouef underframe, some scale wheels and, inevitably, some coffee stirrers.

CRACKED

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles

I seem to remember from somewhere that the crane is a fairly accurate model of a GWR hand operated crane of around 3 to 6 tons capacity. The reason for its massive appearance is the arrangement of the counterweight. This meant it could work in more restricted spaces near walls or other tracks.

Clive
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that information, Clive. Now you've said that, it makes perfect sense of the shape of the counterweight at the back of the crane.

Still, it's a bit late to remain as a GWR product - I've widened the wagon base to match the width of the pivot found in the spares box, so it's definitely become a freelance narrow gauge travelling crane - perhaps used at stations without a fixed unloading facility. I also have a model vertical boiler of about the right size, and it's crossed my mind that this might be added to make a steam crane. Quite a bit of research needed though, before going down that route.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crane and its runner are now finished, although the photos showed a small paint touch-up is needed. It has scaled up to On30 quite well.

The other project, to use up another crane underframe, is this miners' riding car for Gn15. It needs weathering and perhaps some warning chevrons before it starts to look well-used. The ends and roof were used as a test-bed for card modelling reinforced by undercoating the pieces with emulsion paint. Seems to work OK, so I must use it again when I can.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that manrider. Not just for mining use, done in more sombre colours it'd make a neat little coach for an estate railway. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: