FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More rambling round Arkansas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadoak

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the I&W geep crew are having a break that morning TVRR Alco S2 arrives with a car of fuel oil to fill up the tank at the basic facilities found at Benson. She spots the car in the flour mill headshunt temporarily because the I&W geep that brought in the pulpwood cars earlier in the day is standing on the fuel track next to the tank.

Sorry about this, still getting used to Flickr.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the I&W geep leaves to make up its train for the pulp mill at Hodge LA, the Alco backs out with the fuel car and runs around it in the loop. It is now in a position to push the car back next to the tank for the transfer of fuel to take place.
While the fuel is being transferred from the car to the tank the Alco heads down to the east yard to get details of his next job from the yardmaster.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crew of the Alco are told to pick up a boxcar loaded with bagged chicken feed for a farm some distance away. The farm is situated on a trailing spur from the I&W main line to Rosston, so it wonít take long to uncouple the car and back it into the spur. They can also return the now empty fuel oil car at the same time to save another working.
Arkansas Feeds is situated at the end of a long track at the back that has other industries on it, so it means extra work clearing the headshunt to enable the removing of the box car full of feed. This adds a little operational interest.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we see the Alco clearing the long siding next to the Redwing Milling elevator to collect the box car of feed from Arkansas Feeds.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having got the box car of feed out and returned all the cars back in their original positions, the Alco makes up it small train. The box car of feed to the chicken farm and the empty fuel tank car back to Rosston.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This session features the second I&W GP 38-2 # 382 the one without dynamic brakes, I donít know why but I prefer the clean lines on the long hood on this one.
She is seen arriving with a cut of mixed cars that will be loaded at Benson later. The first job on arrival is to spot the RI covered hopper of wheat at the Trisco flour mill.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rock Island covered hopper is cut out of the train and pushed into the Trisco flour mill siding for unloading.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

# 382 sorts out cars to be removed to make up an outbound train and inbound loads to be spotted at their respective customers.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#382 GP38-2 has made up its outbound train in the loop at Benson. Runs round its train then heads out of town for the I&W main line to Hope.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the area surrounding Benson in south west Arkansas one of the most important source of revenue for the railroad is the lumber industry. When the open cast bauxite mine at Colonelís Crossing became exhausted the overburden was replaced and the whole area planted with Pine and Aspen. These trees are fast growing, reaching maturity in three to five years and are a renewable resource that provides much of the lumber shipped out on the Rock Island via the I&W main line.

A RI U33B arrives with a train of empty pulpwood flats which it spots in the loop and runs down to the loco servicing area. The yard goat that day, a RI SW1500 pushes the cars into the pulp loading track.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the crew of the RI U-boat have a break and a meal in a local diner the switcher crew make up a train for the U-boat to return to the RI main line with.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Rock Island chop nose GP 9 arrives with a small train of loaded hoppers full of grain. The CRP as a whole did not approve of chopped noses which were deemed to be an unnecessary expense even in 1975.
She leaves the cars in the loop and runs round the train then backs into the pulp wood loading siding and couples up to pulp wood cars that are still being loaded.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the loading of the pulpwood is being completed the yard goat, a Rock Island SW1500 wearing a coat of bankruptcy blue spots the grain cars at the flour mill.
While the SW1500 spots the incoming grain cars the chop nosed jeep leaves with the loaded pulpwood cars for Louisiana and the Continental Can Mill.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spotted the covered hoppers the crew of the SW1500 head back to the yardmasterís grounded caboose to have a break for some beans and await their next assignment.

Peter M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Page 26 of 26

Jump to: