FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1:55th scale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked on both reefers today; the wooden one has had a couple of coats of white, but the red lettering is still visible. I should have removed it with a fibre-glass brush, but I've run out of refills. Hate using them anyway, as I always seem to end up with glass splinters in my fingers.

The other reefer, with Tri-ang sides, was stuck onto one of my flat cars, but turned out to be too low-slung. The body needed remounting a bit higher in order to match the other vehicles. The general finish is a bit rough, and it needs a tidy-up. In particular I need to think how to add interest to the ends, which at present are just plain styrene. The sides are steel plated (would plywood construction be appropriate for a car built in the late 1940s?) so the ends need to have a similar appearance.

Meanwhile, I started to add a cab to the 0-4-0T a couple of weeks ago, but got the look wrong. The solution was either to extend the rear of the cab and lose the fuel bunker, or add the extra at the front at the cost of making the boiler shorter; decided in the end on the latter option. Had another go today and have just about got one side looking OK, though it still needs more work before getting in front of a camera. It should end up looking like a small plantation locomotive.

I'll try for more pictures some time next week.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd be camera ready with at least one new model by now but, as usual, other distractions got in the way! However the switching loco is almost there, although I hope to add some weathering - make that sun-fading and rust - later. The latest hold-up was the thought that it would be easier to add the loco crew before fitting the cab roof, so a couple of figures have been drafted into railroad service. The driver (late businessman) now wears faded overalls and a red bandana round his neck; I may age him a bit with white hair as he will be quite visible, leaning out of the cab window. His fireman looks a bit of a bruiser, and has been given an approximation of a "rebel" civil war army cap, a subtle nod to the Deep South setting of the model.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still very much a work in progress, here is the T&CC's steam switcher.

As is all too obvious, I didn't mix enough dirty loco black, so a second go will be needed. There are still some small details to add - larger cab steps, whistle, bell, not to mention the cab roof, so I'll wait to repaint until these are done. The mix of rust and dirt I'm aiming for is inspired by this photo.
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannon blankets, Edgemoor & Manetta?
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on, Jack.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Giles..that is a 'classic' photo indeed....Question? How much does one 'interpret' the actual colours seen? I see rather a lot of pinks & mauves....
One of my Ho[HO!] MDC consols,I painted [on advice] not-quite-black....[more very dark grey]...It looks odd when stuck next to a new[back then, still new & un-run]BAchmann US steamer...which is black, because doubtless that is what it said on the tin?

Another of my 'black' [ie, not-quite-blacks] streamers has, over time, turned what I can only describe as, a shade of green!

All very difficult, painting what one sees, rather than what one's mind says is there?
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, Alastair. I guess I'm using the photo as a guide as to where to put the colours, rather than the colours themselves. For instance, the E&M engine has a small patch on the tank that has gone rusty, which might look good if replicated on the model.

I quite like the grey-black of my first coat; I would have used Tamiya German Grey but haven't been able to get any recently, hence my mix of colours. I'll use a little more Dark Iron next time to get a tinge of brown into the final coat, but I'm looking to create a loco that has a fair amount of soot and cinders covering the body. As it will be the only steam engine on the layout I don't have to worry about comparisons with a cleaner locomotive. What colour I'll paint the diesel switcher is another matter entirely!

Meanwhile I'm adding details and the suggestion of safety valves and a whistle on the steam dome has really improved the basic model. At present I'm working on a steam generator and electric head-light from scraps of styrene and tubing. Meanwhile, I hope the bits box will be able to supply a widget I can turn into a bell. I've also changed the chimney to a straight "shotgun stack" as the tapered one looks a little too Germanic, I think.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good... Smile

Does the E&M loco have a stack that can fold in half, by any chance? [Flange about half way down? Bit of chain dangling off to side?

Your loco stack looks much like the E&M one too! I'd be inclined [as I often am?] to sand off the lip, then leave it as is?
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spark arrestor would be my guess, given the amount of welly that apparently had to be used to get up the hill from the factory to the junction.

The tapered chimney (now removed) does not have a lip, must be a trick of the camera lens; I was considering putting one on, but came to the conclusion that the taper was too pronounced for a US style chimney - perhaps a collar round the base would have helped. I'll wait until all the other detailing jobs are done and then see what the overall impression is like.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Spark arrestor would be my guess, given the amount of welly that apparently had to be used to get up the hill from the factory to the junction.

Yes, I see now...especially looking at my own similar photos....
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steam loco is now "finished", I think. It is probably the most uncared for locomotive I've ever modelled - definitely at the end of its days.

With the forthcoming diesel, I'm still trying to make up my mind whether to build a new boxcab body for it, or upscale the cab of the original Bachmann model, and alter a few minor details, for a more modern (1950s) look.

As for the proposed doodlebug - some time ago there was a post that the Railway Modeller had published an article back in the early 60s of a conversion based on parts from an Airfix Signal-box; does anyone know the date of the article?
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the recently posted locomotive pictures, it's rather obvious that the background scene is a winter one (brown grass and almost leafless trees). The countryside at the other end of the layout is full summer, so what to do? As I'm not well versed in computerised image tinkering, I thought I'd try a little water colour wash as a first attempt, which (I hoped) would be more subtle than my ham-fisted online version. Apart from not being able to reprint the pictures the same size as before - luckily the slightly larger images work better than the earlier ones - I'm quite pleased with the result. Next session, when the paper has dried out, I'll scissor-trim the outlines and see how it fits together. I can disguise the 3D-to-backscene transition with some tall weeds or a fence.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I quite liked the effect of the water-colour tinting of the back-scene, I decided that the mix of painting and photography at either end of the layout didn't really work. Instead, after a couple of days playing around with picture editing programmes I've come up with the scene shown below. As usual it is a collage of several pictures, and includes some dilapidated sheds used previously on other layouts, while the trees were also featured on Lazy River. The low relief building will be kit-bashed from three kit parts, plus some other details and will be the Ruff-Edgess sawmill and joinery works.

Meanwhile, track painting and ballasting has begun.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just about got to the fun part of creating the layout's groundwork and buildings, some bread and butter jobs have had to be done first. A little thought showed that ballasting would be a lot easier if completed before attaching the back-scene, as the exit track would then be hard to get to. After that, the exit needs a roof to hold the three section switches which need to be fitted before I forget which trailing wire goes to which track section.

Meanwhile, with the ballast glue drying I have made a start at fitting the three parts of the sawmill together. The windows were a potential problem as I had nothing that size, and 14 of them are needed. Luckily I found some cold-frame lids in my window collection, each of which will make two sash windows when a central cross-bar is added. How many did I find? Seven! Phew!
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some work, the sawmill is coming together. I think the building parts were from the kit of the original Ford car plant. On a raised base, with enlarged doorways, it just about works for 1:55 scale. Something was needed to mask the "thin" end of the building, and I found some spare trees left over from Lazy River. This one needs a bit of work and some extra height - the loco can barely get past the low branches - otherwise I can make a new one, which may look better.

After the glue dried on the ballast it was found the middle turnout's operating rod had been glued up solid. Luckily a trench dug in the roadway above the operating rod meant that it could be freed and the damage was then repaired. I really should have waited to start the scenic groundwork until after ballasting and testing; I'll know next time. Luckily the completed wiring works as expected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: