FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Croydon MRS exhibition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Croydon MRS exhibition Reply with quote

The Croydon show is coming soon.

Saturday 13th/ Sunday 14th October 2018
Warlingham School, Tithepit Shaw Lane, Warlingham CR6 9YB

Saturday 1000 - 1700; Sunday 1000 - 1600

Salop Street will be there, along with about 10 other layouts, and I've just realised that this will be my 100th show as an exhibitor.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First day of the Croydon show, which had a couple of the other local clubs exhibiting. First off, in O gauge, was the Wimbledon MRC with Palmerston Road. Normally in their club room there's only room for a couple of modules to be set up, so it was a nice change to see the whole thing. Here's a GWR Parcels railcar waiting for its next trip.

The layout is joint GWR/SR, and there was an impressive line-up in the loco depot.

I grew up seeing M7s on Waterloo empty carriage duties in the 1960s, so have always had a soft spot for these veterans. Here's one on a fitted freight.

Continuing the Southern theme - but firmly in the BR(S) period was Beckwick, in OO, from the Beckenham & West Wickham club. I wouldn't have thought I'd react to a layout almost exclusively based around EMUs, but this one also took me back to my teenage years. The station building was a good example of Thirties Modernity architecture.

The view along the platforms, with a good mix of electric units on view plus a loco-hauled train.

A single line branch ran along the front of the layout, ending in this small terminus in front of the fiddle yard. I liked the station building, which reminded me of Red Wharf Bay on Anglesey, although when I checked my original source I found the Anglesey structure - although of similar proportions - was timber-built.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday's pictures from Croydon, starting with a well-known Brighton landmark dating back to 1883 - Volk's Electric Railway, modelled in 009. This was a hard one to photograph, being some fifteen feet in length but only 6 to 9 inches wide, without a back-scene. The layout represents the line between about 1970 and 2016. Builders D. Smith and N. Dollimore. The first picture shows the Aquarium Station, near the pier. I liked the detail of the different excursion coaches parked and awaiting trade, each with a display board with details of their route, and of course the Southdown bus in its lettuce and salad cream livery; so much a part of the Brighton I visited as a child.

The half-way stop, with the beach fish market. To the right of the picture the line runs through the carriage shed en-route to Black Rock.

Black Rock station. The passenger cars represent all the era's of the line's existence, the brown one's being the originals from the 1800s, and the blue and white ones being "Winter" cars dating from the 1920/30s.

Another layout using 9mm gauge was Knuddelstein which, although a disguised tail-chaser, had several operating options being capable of working on DC or DCC - the later making sound a possibility as well as more than one train working at once. The track plan appeared to be two ovals but was actually a twice-around design suitably concealed by tunnels and a helix at each end giving a level circuit as well as a high-level line. The catenary was live, so that even with DC, two trains could be run independently. Knuddelstein won the Visitor' "Best Layout" award. The pictures show the spirals

The last N gauge model was Lighterman's Yard (2mm finescale) by Pete King. This represents a fictitious goods yard south of the Thames in S.E. London, and features a specially printed collage of London sights as a backscene. The perspective is such that at first sight Tower Bridge and St Paul's Cathedral appear to be on the wrong side of each other, but an explanatory map shows that from the chosen are, the vista is indeed correct. Being set in this part of the world the railway is set on brick arches and includes a notable street scene, full of 1950s character, while up above, a G6 class 0-6-0T was pottering about in the yard.

One end of the layout was dominated by a large warehouse.

Another O gauge demonstration shunting layout was based on a former dairy that once produced milk for a chocolate factory. Thorney Milk was built by the O gauge group of another local club, the Tolworth O Gauge Group.

Moving on to OO/HO scales, the former was represented by Broadgate by John Hose. This was a seaside setting in the Thanet are in Southern days, and filled with action - a working fairground, trams as well as trains and even a pier tramway.

Representing HO was a rural French "secondaire" by Stuart Robinson. This featured real water in a river crossed by the trains and a low swampy area through which ran a small industrial HOe line. The water here was well above rail level, which the small diesel was running through with no sign of distress!

All in al a varied show. Pictures of Salop Street are posted in the layout's own thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: