FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferrocarril Consolidado Pampa y Fernandez
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The southern hemisphere, including Sierra Oculta, is looking forward to summer and the FCPyF is preparing for an influx of tourists looking for steam trains.

Two oil burners, 42 and 117, (and diesel 67) at Cuarto de Pulgada.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
The FCPyF is preparing for an influx of tourists looking for steam trains.

Two oil burners, 42 and 117, (and diesel 67) at Cuarto de Pulgada.

Enlightened and proactive management! If passenger numbers do increase, there may be a need for longer trains (Thameslink/Northern Rail please copy) Wink
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:

If passenger numbers do increase, there may be a need for longer trains (Thameslink/Northern Rail please copy) Wink

42 can handle the combine unassisted but if the train is strengthened to two or three cars a banker would be needed.

Any longer than three cars complicates the shunting at the termini.

No.7, having arrived at Grande with the green train from San Fernandez, is at the end of the track. No.117 uses the San Fernandez train's coaches to pull her own train out of the carriage shed and shunts all six coaches to the middle siding.

117 then propels the SF stock into the carriage shed.

117 will then back onto her train, releasing 7 to the loco shed.

More likely to get the railcars running as extras in advance of the loco hauled trains to pick up regular passengers who would rather get there first than wait for the steam train. A railcar can be held on the turntable at Cuarto when the two platforms are both occupied and sent to the loco shed at Grande to free up yard tracks.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rare daytime freight. Number 6 ran extra from Grande to Cuarto yesterday, with number 10 acting as a banker as far as Cumbre.

GC6 was actually run as a test train. The first car behind the loco was damaged when the Ferrocarril Internacional was still on the exhibition circuit (back in 2013!) and I only got round to making the repairs yesterday. Also the caboose couplers were changed from tension lock to Kadees and the second car in the train had running boards added to make it look more On30 than HO.

The train could have been run on the low line but a trip up the hill to Cumbre with a banker on the rear is a much better way of testing the caboose coupler strength and track holding quality of the repaired car.

The two boxcars were included because they are adaptors, each with a Kadee at one end and a tension lock at the other, and the return working conveyed two tension lock fitted cars picked up at Cuarto when the two loaded gondolas were set out.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

END OF THE LINE

Don't panic, the Sierra Oculta Department of Transport is not backing roads over rail!

This is quite literally the end of the line at Cuarto de Pulgada. At present the line ends at CdP's turntable but there's room between the station and the garage door to relocate Cuarto Sheds as part of the main layout.

This diorama was built a few years ago as a place to store works in progress intead of having them littering the layout or the kitchen table. The loco shed fits neatly on a bedroom windowsill but, though the tracks were wired during construction, the diorama has never been operated.

Some alteration is required to connect the diorama to the layout. The running shed needs moving closer to the workshop and the tracks relayed between there and the turntable.

Work has started on the project, the area between the turntable and the end of the baseboard has been cleared ready for track laying and the tracks at the end of the shed have been lifted to allow for the new approaches.

Hopefully the rear track of the sheds will align with the front track of the station, allowing empty stock (passenger or freight) to be propelled across the turntable for storage. If the other two tracks also align with their opposites across the turntable that will be a bonus.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea, Bob. Will the siding next to the loco shed become the company's wagon repair shop - seeing you anticipate both goods and passenger vehicles using it? Now you've just got to find a new home for all those smaller locos that don't usually work on the main layout Wink

Talking of smaller locos, your new saddle tank conversion looks very much like an industrial "restricted clearance" locomotive, now its footplate has been removed; a completely different appearance to the way it was before.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Giles, I'm quite pleased with #3's appearance. Yet to get round to weathering the chassis though. Rolling Eyes

Some of the smaller locos have been transferred from Sierra Oculta to North Yorkshire since Muston Sands was converted from On18 to On30.

The gradients on the Seaside Line are a lot easier than those on the FCPyF. They'll need tarting up a bit to work on the tourist railway though, I don't think many holiday makers would appreciate so much rust.

The siding behind the sheds will be used overnight for ECS stabling and during the day an empty mineral train will be parked there. In theory the station pilot will trip cars one by one to a mine, somewhere between Cuarto and Cumbre (aka the hidden area above the washing machine), for loading.

The thinking behind this operation is that the mineral branch (not modelled) has a very weak bridge on it so only very light locos like the DDT are permitted.

As for the loss of "work in progress" storage, an odd loco may be parked between the running shed and the workshop but most projects are going to find themselves unceremoniously dumped in a large box while awaiting modifications or repairs.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Vans" to a railwayman means mail, parcels or newspaper traffic. On the FCPyF it's no different. "Los Forgonetas" is an express freight train operating a daily round trip from San Fernandez to Cuarto via Grande. It is dealt with as a fixed rake, loaded and unloaded at the station platforms, almost as if it was a passenger train.

In fact, as the railway gives priority to profitable freight traffic, Los Forgonetas often maintains better timekeeping than the passenger trains. Rolling Eyes

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change of plan with Cuarto Shed, the long siding will be used for mineral loading with a couple of tipples spaced two hopper car lengths apart so a four car train needs moving once during the loading process to realign empties with the chutes.

The tracks were wired up at the weekend, not very successfully. I ended up with nothing at all working between Lago Cumbre and Cuarto Shed due to a short. I couldn't be bothered to fix it on Sunday so the engineering possession overran until after work on Monday afternoon by which time all but the front shed road were operational. Further investigation after work this today revealed a loose connection in the switch for the shed road so everything is now in working order.

I've got enough loft insulation(rock face), corrugated card (new wriggly tin loco shed and mine building) and hanging basket liner (grass) to crack on with the scenery once the tracks have been painted and ballasted but guess who's got no chinchilla dust or bird sand. Rolling Eyes A trip to the pet shop tomorrow morning will solve that problem.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought four 3D print wagon kits, really expensive at 2 each!!!!

The need wheels and couplers to complete which doubles the cost. Laughing

Anyways, they are excellent. Not particularly "finescale" as they're intended for both the On30 and Gn15 markets but they're far better than anything I could build from scratch. Another six are on order to make up two trains of five wagons each for the FCPyF's mineral traffic.

Last night I fitted home made wire couplers to the wagons, as they'll be running in fixed sets they won't be needing Kadees apart from on the outer wagons of each set.

Full story and more photos of the wagons, on my blog.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another major earthquake shook the Andes in Sierra Oculta this morning. Lone Pine Rock (library photo above) collapsed, blocking the FCPyF between Bodjio and Resurreccion but the MoW crew were on the ball and had the line re-opened in time for the first train (which still hasn't shown up, but that's the FCPyF for you).

Strangely enough the same quake created a new outcrop at Cumbre which looks remarkably similar to Lone Pine Rock, right down to the lone pine.

As the new outcrop draws attention up away from the railway I'm going to have to do something with that exposed brickwork. A railway modeller's work is never done. Rolling Eyes

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up within sight, and earshot, of Dinting Arches on the Woodhead line.
Nothing says "railway" to me more than a string of identical mineral wagons.

The FCPyF's second batch of 2 3D prints arrived this afternoon.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos and film showing the railway in action. Anybody who knows my opinion on DCC sound chips might be surprised if they turn the sound up. I normally add a music soundtrack to my YouTube uploads but I've left this one with no audio editing. What you hear accompanying the film clips is the actual sound of the layout, created by the trains.

http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2018/12/08/mineral-trains/

Nope, that's not digital sound, as I said it's created by the trains, their motors doing some actual work on the FCPyF's fierce gradients and their wheels on the track, which is ballasted with a mixture of grit and sand.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No further progress on the Piko loco (workbench section) as I've been replacing the San Fernandez fiddleyard/staging this week. The three track sector plate has been taken out and replaced with several cassettes to increase the capacity.

http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2018/12/14/san-fernandez-staging/

http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2018/12/15/stop/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: