FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1860 and all that
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new coal wagon is moving on, but still needs a little more work on the painting - the Decalfix liquid lifted the base colour a little. Next the other side and then a bit more grime, as befits a coal wagon. According to my research, Waun Afon was a colliery in South Wales which opened in the early 1860s and supplied steam coal, so the wagon will bring in one of the bi-weekly loads for the coaling stage at Salop Street.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more figures arrived today, courtesy of a friend - a pair of footplatemen from a Dapol "Rocket" kit. Theyt both need a lttle led surgery to be able to stand properly, and I will re-pose their arms - at present the look as if they're Dad-dancing, but they'll work well. I'll also remodel their top hats, which are a bit out of period. A bowler or soft-crowned headgear would look better, as in one of the prototype pictures in the RM this month.

The third character is a carter, from the farm cart kit. Compared to the other two he's perhaps HO, but people were shorter in those days, and the tall hats do over-emphasise the wearer's height.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two new engine drivers have undergone some leg surgery and are also now better dressed for the 1860s, looking a little less like the Mad Hatter on speed.

Meanwhile the water tank has been installed, and makes the nearby water crane more believable.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work on the second goods brake van has been stalled for some time, partly because there is no real need for it. As considered earlier, I think it will get filled-in end platforms to make it into an emergency tool van. Here's a reminder of what it looks like now.

As I forgot to glaze the windows, the upper panes will get external glazing, overlaid by a frame of 10thou styrene (the lower frames will be covered by the roofs of the two tool compartments). A central side door will be needed and the footboards reinstated for the whole length of the vehicle.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the rebuilding of wagons for my last two projects I've had to re-wheel several goods wagons. Trouble is, the new wheels often have longer axle ends than the original wheel-sets. A lot of poking about with a fine drill does the job of opening up the axle hole at the expense of the holes being slightly crooked.

Recently I found a reference to these axle reamers and have invested in a set of them. I hadn't come across them before, but perhaps everyone else has (?). Tried one out this morning and it did the job on what I think may have been an old Jouef underframe, which had narrower back-to-backs than a standard OO model. However, a bit of messing about and I managed to use it successfully.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way of fitting new wheels might be to remove the ends of the axles flush with the wheel faces and add inside bearings. Not tried it but I did once have some old wagons that had inside bearings, the moulded axleboxes being just cosmetic.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some spare time so have been busy on some of the small outstanding jobs. I thought a couple of wagons still needed brakes - turned out there were eleven of them! Nine have now been fitted, and some of the anonymous wagons now have ownership markings. Among these is the West Midland Railway, with connections at Hereford, which is now represented by a couple of wagons (an open and a cattle truck) in rust-red livery. I've no idea what the real livery was, but the colour looks good against the other grey and brown vehicles.

Yes, there was a real West Midland Railway - for a couple of years, at least. No sooner was it established than it vanished into the GWR at almost the exact time that Salop Street represents. So its wagons might have been seen at Ludlow, and could have travelled up to Bridgnorth, I suppose.

I'll post some new pictures after the Croydon show.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:

Yes, there was a real West Midland Railway - for a couple of years, at least.

Not was, is. Laughing

https://www.westmidlandsrailway.co.uk/

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
giles b wrote:

Yes, there was a real West Midland Railway - for a couple of years, at least.

Not was, is. Laughing

https://www.westmidlandsrailway.co.uk/

Yes, sorry, my head was buried in the history books. I did, however see there was a new WMR, but forgot when I was posting. Don't think they'd want the two goods wagons they've been allocated on Salop Street, though.

PS great new diesel you've been working on for the FCPyF. When you said it needed a new roof covering my first thought was "Thatch?" Perhaps not Laughing
CRACKED

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Regarding axles, Gibson's will supply them on a shorter axle to fit the old Lima HO scale models.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know that, Clive. Many thanks; I'll bear it in mind.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from Sainsbury's where I had a sneaky peek at the new Railway Modeller which includes an article on Great Sutton, with some excellent pictures by Steve Flint.

Meanwhile, its replacement is tested and ready to go out this week-end to the Croydon show.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first day at Croydon went quite well, but threw up some areas needing slight adjustment - notable one or two items of stock with couplers set too high. As one of these was a loco, No. 3 (ex-Shellsea) substituted - seen here passing the loco shed with a passenger train.

Jumbo is seen shunting some empty wagons at the cattle pens.

Finally (for now), Hero waits to set out for Ludlow.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more pictures from Croydon, starting with a look along the layout - presumably someone was flying overhead in a balloon Smile

Loco no. 4 is shunting some wagons it has just removed from the passenger train in the foreground.

Shellsea's no. 3 was standing in for a local locomotive suffering from coupler problems. As the best runner she was given a goods train to play with, here seen arriving at Salop Street.

An interesting couple of days as more visitors than expected were knowledgeable about the period, and I was gently taken to task for running the Hornby Pug some twenty years before its time. Luckily my own creations from the same brand passed without comment! Unexpectedly some young children also reacted favourably. At all events, two more exhibition invitations may be forthcoming for next year.

There was one curious incident when a long video was taken (without permission being asked first, as my fellow operator pointed out) while we tried to keep things running smoothly. Then, without warning, the I-phone was pushed in my face and questions asked about why I modelled that period and requiring general details of the layout. I was slightly taken aback - again an introduction to the interview, as it turned out to be, would have been appreciated. For one thing I could have worked out some things to say, rather than sounding tongue-tied. If you see Salop Street on a Youtube clip, don't be surprised, but as I didn't recognise the title of the blog (which I was clearly meant to) I cannot give further details.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Just back from Sainsbury's where I had a sneaky peek at the new Railway Modeller which includes an article on Great Sutton, with some excellent pictures by Steve Flint.

Meanwhile, its replacement is tested and ready to go out this week-end to the Croydon show.

If you do read the Railway Modeller article on Great Sutton, please ignore the first paragraph which Peco's computer has added by accident. I am not now, nor ever have been a group of three modellers contemplating going P4 Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: