FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1:55th scale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low relief trees, simply clump foliage (home made or commercial) on the backscene, might work better and give more clearance for trains.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's another possibility. I'll wait to make a decision until after the building is finished. The experimental tree is not really up to the job, in any case.

The end of the fiddle yard exit screen will need a fully modelled tree to soften its impact, as there's not enough room for even a small hut between the two tracks, and a tree can overhang the line. However, just one tree on the layout might look a bit odd, which is why I'd thought of another one next to the sawmill - but made in low relief.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out that HO models need a bit more converting to look believable in 1:55th scale than was originally thought. The sawmill is better now it has been fitted with four-pane windows and the doors have been enlarged. The windows will be glazed and backed with black paper, and I'll add some roof trim to make the walls a little higher, too.

The buildings along the trailing siding are not those originally selected, as their windows and doors were too small and the distance between the floors too low. Instead I have these three, which are being given slightly built-up foundations. I think I can live with the windows in the left-hand structure, but am adapting the windows I have in stock that fit the middle building. The upper one has had most of the HO glazing bars removed and will probably get a central vertical bar, and the others will follow suit. The right-hand structure needs a doorway and perhaps a loading platform, similar to the sawmill, plus some detail along the roof-line.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was browsing the web a couple of days ago and found this.

What a great little loco. Then I got to thinking - my HO Alco switcher is just about that proportion for 1:55 (or even On30), and would just need a larger cab and chimney.

Not saying I'll definitely be doing this one, but it's tempting, assuming I will never get round to another HO American layout.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some slight design changes in the row of small industries alongside the trailing sidings. The middle structure has had an extra slice added between the two floors, and will get a small stone base added, which allows for a full-sized doorway. The wooden building with three windows is being replaced with a brick structure, which is ex-stock but needs a new loading platform. Then, to help hide the edge of the back-scene, there will be a factory chimney which by chance matches the height of the "sky" exactly.

I tend to mock up planned buildings and leave them in place for a couple of days and see what develops - in this case the changes outlined above. Putting in the changes may have to wait for the week-end as I have other commitments mid-week, but there should be more pictures coming soon.
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
I was browsing the web a couple of days ago and found this.

What a great little loco. Then I got to thinking - my HO Alco switcher is just about that proportion for 1:55 (or even On30), and would just need a larger cab and chimney.

Not saying I'll definitely be doing this one, but it's tempting, assuming I will never get round to another HO American layout.

Don't forget the dents in the cylinder covers? Nice wood cab....does the Alco cab come off easily?
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Alastair, the dents are a nice touch. As far as the cab is concerned, I think the HO body is a one-piece moulding, but I would just have to cut the cab off below the side windows and stick new cab sides on top, which would give enough extra width for the larger scale. Probably a slightly taller chimney, too. I think the rest one could get away with, though details like a coil of rope or chain on the pilot beam would give the engine a more backwoodsy appearance.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible new arrangement of buildings. Just need to put more trees behind the low-relief structures. The track section switches can just be seen.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit of a wobble I've decided to go ahead and finish Tallahatchie, so a little more work has been done on the freight cars, including a new baby gondola, made from a Hornby coal wagon body mounted on a spare tender underframe. A lettering process has begun and the stock is marked T&CR for the Tallahatchie & Choctaw Ridge RR. Thought the lettering was level, by eye, but the camera says "No" so it looks like a bit of adjustment is needed.

The reefer has just about lost its earlier markings and has gained ladders, stirrup irons and a brake wheel, all of which help to move it from an HO model to 1/55th scale.

giles b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to think about another locomotive for the T&CR, so time to revisit a Bachmann Plymouth that has been waiting in the "future projects" box for some time. My pet hate when up-scaling HO or OO locomotives is just to put a taller cab on; almost inevitably these look too narrow and ungainly. Thus I've tried to keep the extra height to a minimum, and added an overhanging roof to make the whole thing look a bit wider. There is an engineer sitting inside and the posed brakeman shows the general proportions, though the upper cab still need a little filing to sit level. The extension has been made with a cab left over from an earlier project, which preserves the doorway. I have also extended the depth of the windows by about 1.5mm, which I think helps to disguise the slight undersize of the cab.
At all events, the locomotive looks in proportion to the boxcar, which is the tallest piece of rolling stock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: