FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just 'cos I like it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just turned up some pictures of what turned out to be part of the inspiration for Shellsea in its present form. Views of Chris Eliis' Stockton Tramway, taken at the Wealden show in 2010, starting with a view of the station.

The Hamster House industrial building

Terrier arriving.....

....and leaving

And finally, a reminder of the track plan. I seem to recall that the baseboard (excluding the fiddle-stick) was 3ft 6ins long.
cp409067

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="giles b"] .....
And finally, a reminder of the track plan. I seem to recall that the baseboard (excluding the fiddle-stick) was 3ft 6ins long.
[/quote]

As I know only too well - my BVT was a competition entry - the size was 3 x A4 (= 891mm/just over 35ins) + an A4 length fiddle stick.

CP

Portpyn 1:34
StPierre 1:34e
SuttonWharf 1:25
ParadiseMiningCo 1:25
BrinkValleyTramway 1:43.5
PyntonTramwayCo 1:43.5
PynValleyRailway 1:43.5

Exhibitions2019
19May: Kewstoke PVR
8Jun: 7mmNGA St P
17Aug: Pewsey MOMING'19
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder, Christopher. I'd forgotten it was a competition entry, but on searching further I came up with this shot of your BVT
cp409067

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles

My participation in the competition was personally significant.

[1] I had been muttering about the possibility of building a layout in "O9" for what felt like a few years.

[2] I was alerted to the WRG competition by our mutal friend Chris Ford who suggested it would be a good opportunity for me to try "O9". He pointed out that what I thought had been a few years was in fact more than a decade.

[3] In broad principle competitions (by which I mean self vs others) do not appeal to me. However, I saw it as a challenge and found working within the defined rubrics a positive experience.

[4] I remain deeply grateful to Chris Ford for whatever the result of the competition, for me the "Brink Valley Tramway" was an unexpected success from which I have not looked back.

[5] I have since built the "Pynton Tramway Co" in "O9" and it so happens that tomorrow my third layout in the scale/gauge combination will be photographed for publication later this year.

[6] Unashamed plug for one of my projects - the new layout is the "Pyn Valley Railway" and it will be appearing as part of MOMING'18@WNMRE over the weekend of 24-25 November 2018.

Christoper Payne
MOMING Co-ordinator

Portpyn 1:34
StPierre 1:34e
SuttonWharf 1:25
ParadiseMiningCo 1:25
BrinkValleyTramway 1:43.5
PyntonTramwayCo 1:43.5
PynValleyRailway 1:43.5

Exhibitions2019
19May: Kewstoke PVR
8Jun: 7mmNGA St P
17Aug: Pewsey MOMING'19
johno

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF I was to build thr Stockon Tramway today any suggestions forwhat rolling stock to use please?

Johno
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno wrote:
IF I was to build thr Stockon Tramway today any suggestions forwhat rolling stock to use please? Johno

That's a pretty wide open question, Johno. Are you contemplating an exact copy (i.e. a baseboard the equivalent of three sheets of A4 paper? If so you'll need the smallest rolling stock possible, with 4 wheels and a short wheelbase. As a platform will make the layout look smaller, tramway style coach(es) would look the best, but are no longer readily available - you might be able to adapt European types, although they are undersized in HO scale, or build your own from a plastic kit for a British tramcar (see the Shellsea thread). Otherwise you might do it like the late Wisbech & Upwell, without passenger traffic, and with diesel haulage.

My suggestion would be to have a slightly longer baseboard. There was an article on developing the Stockton idea*, in which Jack Trollope drew up 4ft and 5ft versions, which give a little more elbow room. For any version there are a number of industrial 0-4-0 tanks available now, plus the class P, the Terrier, or the Beattie well tank, depending if you want to set the layout in South East, Southern or South Western England. Expensive but if it's the only loco, probably worth it for the good slow-running qualities (as I've discovered with my Beattie tank).

* sorry I can't remember when it came out, but I think (without checking) the original Stockton article appeared in 2010 in/after the April edition and JT's re-working perhaps a month or so later. A check on the index pages should turn it up.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This photo is for fans of doodlebugs. It appeared (very small) in MTI in an article by the Editor. The car is seen on the Wolfeboro RR, which approached its terminus beside Lake Winnipessaukee by running across a causeway dividing a smaller lake in two.

The body has rounded ends but is otherwise much like a combine, suggesting a possible conversion.

We visited Wolfeboro in 2015 and found the station, restored to its former gingerbread glory, now used as a tourist information office and café.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite layouts was at Wycrail. It was mobbed by the public all day and won one of the top three "Best in Show" votes. I was only able to get close enough to get these shots just before closing time.

Santa Maria Gandia really captures the feeling of the Spanish 600mm gauge lines that once served some of the resorts and harbours along the Mediterranean coast. It's all there - tree-shaded station platforms, trains mixing with the road traffic and a dry, dusty look, with high mountains and mines in the distance. The layout features both standard and narrow gauge lines.

The station is typical of Spanish narrow gauge and may have influenced my design for the new buildings planned for Isla Blanca.

Another view of the station, with a train arriving. The rolling stock has been adapted from standard German models, but has been narrowed a little, which completely changed its proportions and makes it look more at home on a sub-metre gauge line.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just located my collection of early photos, both model and prototype but have had problems trying to get my scanner, pc and this site lined up. Finally, success with this picture of my old OOn3 layout, taken just over 50 years ago. Not the best picture photographically, but posted for its potential interest.

It shows the loco shed and station throat at Midhaven, probably not long before I sold the layout. The lever frame worked the two signals and was usually partly covered by a model of Hawkhurst signal-box - a small enough standard gauge prototype to work on a 3ft gauge line. I must have moved it to get a better shot of the warehouse. This end of the town relied quite heavily on card kits for the buildings. The other side of the harbour had mostly scratch-built structures.

The locos represent the first and one of the last locos built for the line. The far one is no. 1, built for an earlier feeder line to my then standard gauge layout. A fairly basic Pug cab on TT Jinty body, plus extended chimney. The extra touch are the cylinders, taken from a Kitmaster kit (possibly their Italian tank) which gave part of its body to another conversion. The foreground loco is no 6, a tram loco hiding the fact that I'd hacked off the front of a Jinty chassis in an effort (unsuccessful as it turned out) to build a 4-4-0. Instead it mutated into a tram 0-4-0; I may have had a Clogher Valley loco in mind. Boiler from a Saxin sweetener tube, the rest of the body styrene sheet.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that is the sort of modelling I really appreciate, Giles! [Somehow one can get reet sick of super-dooper detailing?]
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The b/w photo reminds me of the layouts in old 1960s and early 1970s Railway Modeller mags. I had a stack of them, all second hand and very well thumbed. It's not just the card buildings but also the natural lighting.

Photography and modelling have both changed a lot since then.

Another thing I remember from that era is that all, or virtually all, brickwork was identical. The huge range of pre-printed and downloadable building papers is perhaps one of the biggest advances when modelling with card.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I may have found the way to post more of my period pictures. This is the view a little to the left of the previous one, and shows more of the MVR's loco stud.

At the rear, leaving for Lamberstock with the Triang coach conversions is no.9 "Lady Constance": TT Castle chassis, styrene body inspired by Manning Wardle or Davies & Metcalfe. In front of her is no 2 "Onyx" a fairly standard (for the time) amalgamation of Jinty and Pug. The pale loco is "Douglas" a Beyer Peacock 0-6-0T in Ted Polet-inspired yellow livery edged with black and scarlet lining. No.4 "Lynn" is in the foreground, a mix of Jinty and Kitmaster Italian tank parts masquerading as a Porter loco obtained (like Lyn on the L&B) from the USA during a shortage of spare capacity at the British loco builders.
I thought I was posting a lightened copy of this view, and will substitute it later if I can.

The background buildings are a mixed bunch - from the left two scratchbuilt structures, the pub being a model of a Jersey hotel in St Helier. Next are two Bilteezi kits with windows recessed and extra details, then an Alex Bowie design from MRC, solicitor's name- Perks & Perks - courtesy of the Daily Express cartoonist, Giles.

The two signals seen in the previous photo were also home made with white metal arms on giant matchstick posts. Finial from the point of a pin, a small pearl bead and a tiny square of card. By this time there were GWR LQ signals available in 4mm scale from Ratio, but they were a little small for OOn3 and weren't cheap, hence my bodging. The only other signal on the MVR was at Kingswood, and this was really a points indicator for downhill trains to let them know the switch was set for the main line; it worked in conjunction with the point lever.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trying to get the images across from the scanner. This one worked - a nineteenth century shot of tram loco "Ariel" shunting on North Quay.

Further up the line (and river) was Midford. The lever frame was always rather prominent, and I seem to recall that the tube and wire connections to the turnouts needed relaying at some point which is why there is a roadworks scene, with the pipes visible below the road surface. Apart from the steamroller (Matchbox), also visible are the same maker's traction engine, a veteran car (a Charbens model, I think) and a van converted from the Airfix RAF crash set lorry.

Buildings are mostly built from scratch, but the Bilteezi factory can be seen - it was used for the local laundry, so received coal by rail, as the railway had laid a tramway siding along Pool Street to reach the timber yard which was situated at the end of the canal, which was tidal. The lock allowed the river to match the canal's water level. Just above the station the tall building was cut out from the Vacy Ash village street and turned into a 3D low relief structure.

This scene was directly below the room's window and was always hard to photograph. This is one of the shots that was published in MRC.
Graham W

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Giles,

I'm enjoying the recent photo's of the Midd Valley, especially the unpublished ones. The construction details of the loco's & stock are really useful to me, as you know I've been having a dabble in 'retro OOn3' modelling recently.

keep them coming!

Graham
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Graham. Glad you like them and good luck with your continuing OOn3 project.

The unpublished pictures have not previously been seen for a good reason; they're truly terrible photos and need quite a bit of work in Ipiccy or Paint to rescue the details lurking in deep shadow, or else over-exposed. The "sepia" picture was one of the latter - a totally misty image originally.

The tram loco was a mash up of Pug cabs and the boiler/smokebox of a Kitmaster Italian tank. It was powered by a K's motor bogie, which it shared with another tram loco belonging to the Midhaven Harbour Authority.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: