FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just 'cos I like it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just turned up some pictures of what turned out to be part of the inspiration for Shellsea in its present form. Views of Chris Eliis' Stockton Tramway, taken at the Wealden show in 2010, starting with a view of the station.

The Hamster House industrial building

Terrier arriving.....

....and leaving

And finally, a reminder of the track plan. I seem to recall that the baseboard (excluding the fiddle-stick) was 3ft 6ins long.
cp409067

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="giles b"] .....
And finally, a reminder of the track plan. I seem to recall that the baseboard (excluding the fiddle-stick) was 3ft 6ins long.
[/quote]

As I know only too well - my BVT was a competition entry - the size was 3 x A4 (= 891mm/just over 35ins) + an A4 length fiddle stick.

CP

Portpyn 1:34
StPierre 1:34e
SuttonWharf 1:25
ParadiseMiningCo 1:25
BrinkValleyTramway 1:43.5
PyntonTramwayCo 1:43.5
PynValleyRailway 1:43.5

Exhibitions 2018

8-9 Sep: REC - PVR
20-21 Oct: Uckfield - StP
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder, Christopher. I'd forgotten it was a competition entry, but on searching further I came up with this shot of your BVT
cp409067

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles

My participation in the competition was personally significant.

[1] I had been muttering about the possibility of building a layout in "O9" for what felt like a few years.

[2] I was alerted to the WRG competition by our mutal friend Chris Ford who suggested it would be a good opportunity for me to try "O9". He pointed out that what I thought had been a few years was in fact more than a decade.

[3] In broad principle competitions (by which I mean self vs others) do not appeal to me. However, I saw it as a challenge and found working within the defined rubrics a positive experience.

[4] I remain deeply grateful to Chris Ford for whatever the result of the competition, for me the "Brink Valley Tramway" was an unexpected success from which I have not looked back.

[5] I have since built the "Pynton Tramway Co" in "O9" and it so happens that tomorrow my third layout in the scale/gauge combination will be photographed for publication later this year.

[6] Unashamed plug for one of my projects - the new layout is the "Pyn Valley Railway" and it will be appearing as part of MOMING'18@WNMRE over the weekend of 24-25 November 2018.

Christoper Payne
MOMING Co-ordinator

Portpyn 1:34
StPierre 1:34e
SuttonWharf 1:25
ParadiseMiningCo 1:25
BrinkValleyTramway 1:43.5
PyntonTramwayCo 1:43.5
PynValleyRailway 1:43.5

Exhibitions 2018

8-9 Sep: REC - PVR
20-21 Oct: Uckfield - StP
johno

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF I was to build thr Stockon Tramway today any suggestions forwhat rolling stock to use please?

Johno
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno wrote:
IF I was to build thr Stockon Tramway today any suggestions forwhat rolling stock to use please? Johno

That's a pretty wide open question, Johno. Are you contemplating an exact copy (i.e. a baseboard the equivalent of three sheets of A4 paper? If so you'll need the smallest rolling stock possible, with 4 wheels and a short wheelbase. As a platform will make the layout look smaller, tramway style coach(es) would look the best, but are no longer readily available - you might be able to adapt European types, although they are undersized in HO scale, or build your own from a plastic kit for a British tramcar (see the Shellsea thread). Otherwise you might do it like the late Wisbech & Upwell, without passenger traffic, and with diesel haulage.

My suggestion would be to have a slightly longer baseboard. There was an article on developing the Stockton idea*, in which Jack Trollope drew up 4ft and 5ft versions, which give a little more elbow room. For any version there are a number of industrial 0-4-0 tanks available now, plus the class P, the Terrier, or the Beattie well tank, depending if you want to set the layout in South East, Southern or South Western England. Expensive but if it's the only loco, probably worth it for the good slow-running qualities (as I've discovered with my Beattie tank).

* sorry I can't remember when it came out, but I think (without checking) the original Stockton article appeared in 2010 in/after the April edition and JT's re-working perhaps a month or so later. A check on the index pages should turn it up.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This photo is for fans of doodlebugs. It appeared (very small) in MTI in an article by the Editor. The car is seen on the Wolfeboro RR, which approached its terminus beside Lake Winnipessaukee by running across a causeway dividing a smaller lake in two.

The body has rounded ends but is otherwise much like a combine, suggesting a possible conversion.

We visited Wolfeboro in 2015 and found the station, restored to its former gingerbread glory, now used as a tourist information office and café.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite layouts was at Wycrail. It was mobbed by the public all day and won one of the top three "Best in Show" votes. I was only able to get close enough to get these shots just before closing time.

Santa Maria Gandia really captures the feeling of the Spanish 600mm gauge lines that once served some of the resorts and harbours along the Mediterranean coast. It's all there - tree-shaded station platforms, trains mixing with the road traffic and a dry, dusty look, with high mountains and mines in the distance. The layout features both standard and narrow gauge lines.

The station is typical of Spanish narrow gauge and may have influenced my design for the new buildings planned for Isla Blanca.

Another view of the station, with a train arriving. The rolling stock has been adapted from standard German models, but has been narrowed a little, which completely changed its proportions and makes it look more at home on a sub-metre gauge line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: