FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puerto Paseo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressed with the little extension plan. Rolling Eyes Laughing Wink In particular the wye at Arenal, direct trains between Bahia Grande and Ciudad Nueva could give the operational interest of running via the bottom leg of the wye then reversing into the station before continuing their journey. Backing up with passengers on board, very colonial!

With regard to the scenic breaks, I've got similar intermediate backscenes to separate Grande from the rest of the layout, at Rio Paleta as a division between there and Cumbre and between Cumbre and Cuarto but these are used because the scenery between the areas concerned is so different. Likewise the low level stations (Frog Rock and Resurreccion) are still in individual module format because of their respective scenic differences.

However, if building the extended Isla Blanca railways I'd be more inclined to use tall (3 storey should be enough) buildings rather than backscenes in the Paseo area and tall trees combined with cuttings between the other stations. The scenery on the island isn't going to change that much between the stations so it should be possible to blend it into one, albeit compressed, view. The only hard scenic breaks required would be those hiding the staging areas.

On the subject of staging vs fiddleyards - I find the three track staging representing San Fernandez, combined with the capacity at the two termini, is ample for operating the FCPyF.

I much prefer the American practice of staging because it saves distraction away from the scenic area. Restaging the trains between operating sessions is not an issue for a home layout, just back the trains out of staging and rearrange them by hand when they are in easy reach, then back them into the staging yards again. It means you do not need easy access to the staging yards, which in turn makes them easier to hide from view.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
In particular the wye at Arenal, direct trains between Bahia Grande and Ciudad Nueva could give the operational interest of running via the bottom leg of the wye then reversing into the station before continuing their journey. Backing up with passengers on board, very colonial!

Hadn't thought of that possibility, Bob, mainly because until now I hadn't envisages a wye at Arenal.

Quote:
With regard to the scenic breaks, I've got similar intermediate backscenes to separate Grande from the rest of the layout, at Rio Paleta as a division between there and Cumbre and between Cumbre and Cuarto but these are used because the scenery between the areas concerned is so different.

However, if building the extended Isla Blanca railways I'd be more inclined to use tall (3 storey should be enough) buildings rather than backscenes in the Paseo area and tall trees combined with cuttings between the other stations. The scenery on the island isn't going to change that much between the stations so it should be possible to blend it into one, albeit compressed, view. The only hard scenic breaks required would be those hiding the staging areas.

Agreed; it was only on drawing up this version that I remembered the Palma overbridge, so put it in instead of the short tunnel included earlier (a nod here to the IOW between Ryde Town and St Johns). Tall buildings would certainly help. In any case, San Juan is only supposed to be about 1500 yards from the terminus. Between Flores and Arenal I'd be tempted to put a solid screen round the middle of the outside of the curved baseboard to hide the trains on the sharp curve as much as to lengthen the gap between the scenes. The equally sharp curve between San Juan and Flores wraps around the viewer and, I suspect, is thus less of a worry.

But let's remember - this is pure fantasy and has an extremely low chance of ever seeing the light of day.

Quote:
I much prefer the American practice of staging because it saves distraction away from the scenic area. Restaging the trains between operating sessions is not an issue for a home layout, just back the trains out of staging and rearrange them by hand when they are in easy reach, then back them into the staging yards again.

Of course, with a wye between the two staging yards, one could just back the trains out one by one, run them round the wye and reverse back into their storage track.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A visit to the Beckenham show yesterday resulted in a shopping carrier full of bargains for restoration and cannibalising. Among them were four Tri-ang station buildings. Now we all know what happens when these fall into the hands of On30 modellers!

I have in mind a station I saw on a visit to the remains of the Rio Tinto Railway, many years ago. The architecture was a mixture of British and Spanish, so could suit Isla Blanca quite well. I seem to recall arched windows, which would fit in with the Tri-ang style.

I'll try and locate the pictures tomorrow and post the results

Edit: My photo-album with the Rio Tinto pictures seems to have vanished, but I did find a scrappy dimensional sketch of the station, which was called El Valle. The doors and windows along the platform did indeed have semi-circular arched tops, while other windows had arc-tops. Building corners and window embrasures were picked out in brick, with the plain walls plastered and painted white.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Baldrick Railway Integration Committee for Isla Blanca has been hard at work and has drawn up new plans, still to be presented to the island's government. Although the earlier plan is not feasible, a smaller version might still be possible; the original terminus would remain, while the fiddle yard board would be used for the Docks/Paseo Ciudad area, with the main line curving round to reach San Juan station and yard along the adjacent wall. Another 90 degree curve and a wriggle into a deep window bay would take the line into Arenal, beyond which the line would divide to serve independent staging lines for Bahia Grande and the FCCyO's route to Ciudad Nueva

There are compromises, including some sharp curves and a few Setrack points, but speeds are low, so this will probably not be a problem (I have a friend who uses trainset curves and Bachmnann 2-6-0s successfully). However, the loss of the passing facility between Paseo San Juan and Arenal means some changes to the timetable - still being worked on. On a brighter note, it will be possible to end some services short of the Paseo terminus to ease congestion. I think the Postal railcar and coach will feature more heavily than before, too, now there is a need to serve Arenal and Bahia Grande, rather than a nebulous destination in a common fiddle yard.

The architectural department has also been considering the station building designs (originally drawn up by the original builder's Margate office).

More to follow on these developments as planning work progresses.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FCPyF has set-track curves in several places. As you say the Bachmann moguls have no problem with these but the railway's two large diesels didn't like the combined horizontal and vertical curvature (including a curved turnout on the junction) at Mucho Bodjio. The problem was solved by raising Grande's baseboard to ease the gradient change. I would imagine that the island's railways have easier grades than those found in Sierra Oculta though.

If the postal railcar is to see regular service perhaps a short, single ended, passing siding could be provided? The railcar would need to arrive first and take refuge in the siding before the opposing train was due. US interurban lines used a similar method of passing trains with reversing moves being made to enter trailing sidings or leave facing sidings as required.

27 takes refuge on the mine spur at Rio Paleta while 42 passes on the main. When the mogul has cleared the station 27 will reverse out of the siding before continuing down the hill to Bodjio.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob. It's not so much there isn't room for a passing loop/siding; there isn't any room! From the end of the yard at San Juan to the start of the yard at Arenal is only about 6ft or 7ft of track. It's only the corner that keeps the eye from seeing the entire distance at once. There's just about enough room to shunt past the last set of points at either end, without running into the next station. I can't lengthen the distance because of the shape of the room, and the need to use the window ledge to support one station.

I'm more interested in what takes place at the stations, and being able to run freight trains that have actual work to do, than with having more travelling distance. (Luckily!). Actually, I'm just starting to realise how much more operating is involved with three stations and a staging yard. I may have to simplify the timetable, not make it busier. At least I can make a few more wagons, and possibly a shunting loco for Arenal for when the timetable does not allow the train loco to do its own setting out.

Last edited by giles b on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the simplified plan that I hope will be the project for next year.

The two original boards are at the bottom, with the fiddle yard re-laid as the Dock/Paseo Ciudad area. In effect, the Docks are an open-air fiddle yard - although shunting will be carried out by a locomotive; the space is very constricted, but there is a suggestion of a warehouse, the customs shed (with track running inside) and a very low relief hopper-loader on the back-scene (just above the word Docks). Siding capacity is about ten 4-wheeled wagons, plus three bogie hoppers on the loop for a short period each day, while unloading takes place.

The loop at Paseo Ciudad is only long enough for a railcar or light engine, but does enable one of these to pause and let a longer train to pass. Only railcars make a passenger stop here, which is reflected in the platform length. I do like the scenic possibilities around the level crossing area (left hand lower corner) with the road entering the dockyard via an arched gateway, while another road passes between two industrial builldings, with shops visible in the distance on the back-scene.

San Juan station is the line's operating centre, and is the site of the mpd for the terminus. At the other end of the yard are a couple of short sidings, one serving a shed for a railcar, the other being for engineering stores (or possibly a railcar trailer/spare coaches). The main goods sidings are situated off a blind shunting neck - a ruse to keep shunting moves within the yard area. I'm not totally set on this and may yet make provision for a more direct exit to the running tracks. This area is not drawn to scale, and there is more room for the station buildings than is shown. On the back-scene behind the station is the Este's HQ building containing the line's administrative offices.

Continuing to Arenal we find another three-loop station. Railcar services from Puerto Paseo terminate here, so there is a turntable provided for them as well as a shed, which may span two tracks. I hope to repair the turntable originally used at Puerto, but whose current-collecting plungers were accidentally soldered-up solid. At the far end of the yard the building separating the siding from the main lines is a cheese factory. Beyond the station are separate staging tracks for both Este and Central y Oeste trains.

Thanks to some lucky rummaging in the bargain boxes at a couple of recent shows, just about all the track is already in stock, with just the two turnouts for the curved crossover outside Arenal left to find. As a small concession to the budget I'm planning on using ordinary OO track with the sleepers covered with dirt and grass, rather than more of the 0-16.5 plain track used in the terminus area.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough ideas for converting the four Tri-ang stations. (Apologies for the quality; I obviously need to scan at a higher definition next time).

The San Juan design uses two station frontages, while Arenal uses one complete station, with the addition of a scratch-built goods shed extension. As only the front walls of these buildings are visible, the rear walls can be removed and plain styrene/card substituted. In this way we get another set of walls to make the Admin building which is just a fašade against the back-scene.

alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these, Giles...I do love to see good old fashioned drawings!! I cannot cope with viewing computer generated images!!
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A day of mixed feelings at Wycrail yesterday: sadness at it being the last show for Puerto Paseo, tempered with the knowledge that it will become a home layout able to be extended. A new venue for me, which turned out to be enormous. As we were exhibiting on the first floor I requested access to the lift, which meant driving round the outside of the building to a rear doorway, rather than unloading at the front of the college, then a another thirty yards to get to the hall - each trip to and from the car took about 10 minutes. The bonus came at the end of the day as the car had been able to stay near the loading area rather than having to be taken to another car-park five minutes away.

Trying to find new angles to photograph a familiar layout is difficult, but these first two just about succeed, starting with a driver's view approaching the terminus.

and one looking towards the "main line". (Another layout across the aisle coincidentally makes it look as if Paseo's scenery continues into the distance!)

The afternoon Correos railcar has arrived, and the Sentinel is moving the parcel van and coach over to platform 3, adjacent to the post office sorting room.

It's Fiesta time! The last train of the day, held back for a late-evening departure, starts its long trip back to Bahia Grande. The extra passenger loading has called for double-heading.

Railcar A-1 on the turntable. No more will the winding handle be a temptation for small hands, although at the end of the day a young helper was allowed to turn the railcar and drive it back to the station platform.

The FCCyO's freight Mogul takes a turn on the daily minerals run.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more...............starting with the Sentinel doing a spot of early morning shunting.

"It's off to work we go" as the dock-workers morning shift heads for the port

Later in the day the daily freight from Ciudad Nueva arrives
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of footnotes to the Wycrail show.

The driver of the "Flying Lemon" is waiting for one of the pointsmen to come over and give him a hand turning the railcar.

This one was taken by my fellow operator, David Thomas, and shows the last freight wagons being cleared from the sidings before the show closed.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake van F3 has been a bit camera shy so far.

This is partly because photographs tend to show the front of the train, but also because I've never been quite happy with the way it turned out. Since it was built the other brakes have been built with birdcage look-outs and I think F3 would benefit with one more or less in the centre of the roof.

More like these..........

Plenty of other prototype inspiration here, with a typically very narrow island platform, and a rather nice station building. The locomotive is pretty good, too; perhaps I should be looking out for a suitable 2-6-2T chassis once the planned layout extension gets going, as I suspect there will be a need for a reallocation of duties and the saddle tank may become the depot shunter at San Juan, leaving a gap in the roster for a mixed traffic engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: