FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1860 and all that
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cp409067

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles

I enjoyed both articles in RM - but was puzzled by the reference to the group of three P4 modellers. Thanks for the explanation.

CP

"Pyn Valley Railway"
Article in RM, Nov 2018, pp. 917-921.
See it at Expong 27 October, and Moming'18@WNMRE 24-25 November 2018.

Portpyn 1:34
StPierre 1:34e
SuttonWharf 1:25
ParadiseMiningCo 1:25
BrinkValleyTramway 1:43.5
PyntonTramwayCo 1:43.5
PynValleyRailway 1:43.5

Exhibitions 2018

8-9 Sep: REC - PVR
20-21 Oct: Uckfield - StP
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came back from the recent Wycrail show with the motorised chassis from a Dapol "Terrier", in working order but in need of a clean up and oil around. This is going to be a long-term project I suspect, as I have no idea which of my layouts it will end up on.

I had thought about Salop Street, but a little research shows the motor block needs to be hidden by side tanks, as it's too wide to fit inside a boiler. Most of my available bodies are way too long, and would need considerable cutting down to fit. The other possibility is on Shellsea, although the new Beattie Well Tank is filling the bill admirably as a reliable stand-by loco.

The Terrier wheelbase is probably a bit too short for a realistic On30 conversion, but if used on one of my OO layouts, it could free one of the re-geared 0-4-0 mechanisms for use on Isla Blanca, where I think there will be a future need for another station pilot or shunting engine in the future.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a recent thread resurrection on another forum.....regarding the Tri-ang Polly?
Including the fact that the Terrier chassis seemed to be a nice fit?

Polly does have smokebox wing plates, etc, which may make it of the Edwardian era originally?

However I note, from an engineering viewpoint, Polly needs outside cylinders...
Moxy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
There has been a recent thread resurrection on another forum.....regarding the Tri-ang Polly?
Including the fact that the Terrier chassis seemed to be a nice fit?

The Terrier chassis also fits under a Hornby Caledonian Pug body. I did such a conversion myself some years ago. Never photgraphed it sadly, and the loco itself has now disappeared, probably in a house move about 10 yrs ago.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here y'are Giles. About five minutes in.

Looks as if it was a super show, though the overscale DCC sound spoils it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0iLi00nZ6U

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alastair, Moxy, I have some bits and pieces of a Polly to try for a fit; my thought are that it is a rather tall body, which could usefully lose a bit of height if it could still fit over the Terrier's motor block. A quick fix would be to see if my GW 101/Polly conversion would fi. I like the look of the combined body, but the chassis runs way too fast. A slower 0-6-0T version might be interesting.

I also have 2/3rds of a Smoky Joe body. The latter does fit nicely, although my saddle tank is too short. No hurry with this one, as Salop Street's next show is at the latter end of 2019.

Bob, Many thanks; got that, including some rather lumpy running as I was trying to keep something running at the same time as answering questions Embarassed
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks promising, I think.

First job is to check the mechanism is OK, then a little work on the front footplate to create splashers and drop the footplate level slightly, along with a small adjustment to the buffer beams.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a little spare time to examine the Terrier chassis bought recently, and the results are promising. Everything was a bit stiff at first but a little oil has helped. The main issue seems to be that on one side of the mechanism, current is only being collected by the centre and one end wheel (on the other side all wheels are connected to the motor). The wire loop couplings are attached by the original screws to the chassis, so Kadees can be substituted without any problem.

It's obviously worth going ahead to modify the body to fit the new chassis a little better, while it should be possible to add another pick-up wire to link the "dead" wheel to its neighbour.

Meanwhile, I've been surprised how the layout has caught the interest of various exhibition managers - possibly the appearance of Great Sutton in a well-known magazine is the reason. Three invitations have been received, for 2019:- SWING in May, Loddon Vale in September and Beckenham in October, while another expression of interest awaits confirmation. With one other invite each for Shellsea (Bexhill) and Tallahatchie (WRG Small Layout Show) my quota of six shows per year looks to have been filled. If you're able to visit any of these shows, do come and say "hello".
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked good on the video Giles, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

Kind regards Peter M
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Peter. I've learned one lesson - don't keep trying to keep trains moving while attempting two simultaneous conversations, and particularly if a camera is involved!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: