FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1:55th scale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pictures from the Wealden show yesterday, starting with a panoramic view of the whole layout

The steam loco managed only one appearance in front of the camera

There was at least one quiet moment

The rest of the time the diesel was at work

The 1:55 scale was a bit of a puzzler for some, many of whom thought it was an HO layout, until the size of the figures was pointed out, Some lively discussions ensued, with one viewer commenting that the models-to-track proportions were more satisfying than the rather over-bodied Bachmann On30 models.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
The 1:55 scale was a bit of a puzzler for some, many of whom thought it was an HO layout, until the size of the figures was pointed out, Some lively discussions ensued, with one viewer commenting that the models-to-track proportions were more satisfying than the rather over-bodied Bachmann On30 models.

I think I've got the 1/55 bug. There's a modular group who had a stand at Narrow Gauge North, just a single scenic module between two fiddleyards but it was exquisite. Miteside Halt on the Ratty in 3ft days.

I've ordered some bits and pieces to make a start and am also looking at converting a Bachmann On30 Davenport by lowering the cab, photoshop job below.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.

Last edited by Blackcloud Railways on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say the Ravenglass 3ft layout looks stunning, Bob, with lovely poorly-maintained track and a tantalising glimpse of the British style rolling stock. A Manning Wardle on a Terrier chassis, perhaps?
Moxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
A Manning Wardle on a Terrier chassis, perhaps?

The Manning Wardle on the Ravenglass module was built around an Electrotren/Jouef chassis.

Thanks

Moxy
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your layout has turned out very well Giles.
The proportions look just right somehow, well done.
Only problem I could see was the missing Ford tractor, an essential on any rural layout to my mind.

Kind regards Peter M
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Peter,

May I direct you to the posting for Friday 1st March Smile It's a Ford, but is admittedly up to ten years too modern for the ideal time-slot for the layout. Had I been planning to continue with the layout I might have had a go at the front of the bonnet to back-date it around twenty years, with a more rounded radiator.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that Giles, a senior moment on part I'm afraid.
The model is a Ford 4000 probably and they were introduced in 1964, in this country they were blue and grey but in the states were red and grey.
The more rounded earlier one is a Fordson Major E1A they were introduced in 1951 and were made up until 1964, with modifications and improvements over the years. At first they were painted Blue with orange wheels but at the end they were blue with grey wheels, which didn't look so good to my eyes.

Kind regards Peter M
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that information, Peter. I should have guessed you'd be the person to know all about tractors! I'm glad the one I have is, after all, correct for the period being modelled. I was thinking of a 1940s model, I suspect. The model was blue and yellow when purchased, but I thought the grey looked better when I did a "tractor trawl" online, so the fact that I picked the American colours is a lucky coincidence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: