FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puerto Paseo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go paving too many roads or you'll find your islanders discovering the convenience of door to door over station to station. Shocked

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have my eye on some other road vehicles, but given my luck with bidding they probably won't materialise. Anyway, the local roads are too narrow for large HGVs - a couple of 1 or 3 ton lorries or light vans shouldn't threaten the railways just yet.

Remembering a trip I took to Jersey in the 1970s, most of their commercial transport then dated from the 1950s so applying that to Isla Blanca suggests that much of the road traffic might date back to the 1930s. I'm also just old enough to have a hazy memory of Post Office vans with the same outline as my recently purchased Sainsbury's van, still in use c. 1950 - they must have been 15 -20 years old then, with WW2 having delayed their replacement with something more modern.

A planned programme of railway wagon building is going to give the island's railways a better chance of seeing off competition for a few more years, when some new tourist income will enable better roads to be built.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
... so applying that to Isla Blanca suggests that much of the road traffic might date back to the 1930s.

In a warm climate there's no salting the roads in winter, so road vehicles last longer before crumbling into a heap of rust.

There's a Model T Ford pick-up still earning its keep doing local deliveries in Cuarto de Pulgada.

It's a Lledo van that met with a hacksaw. The new back and roof of the cab and bed of the load area are cardboard.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, Bob. I'd not thought of up-scaling those Lledo vehicles, but the simple cab of the Model T does lend itself to such work, very easily I'd guess.

Meanwhile, on the rails, there are some plans afoot. I'll give a Bachmann Trolley car a test next week-end and is all's well it could become the 3rd mechanism for the Este's passenger railcar; I love the growl and smooth control of the Piko motor, but it means having a very tall blunt-ended radiator, which I don't like. The Bachmann mechanism means a return to the original Gnomy bonnet, and also sets the wheels a little further inboard, making positioning on the Paseo turntable a lot easier.

The Piko motor can then be transferred to the Norte's diesel to improve its performance.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With less than complete success bidding on eBay I have the potential of three or perhaps four assorted light vans, of uncertain vintage, for use around the layout. Two are missing wheels, so I'll either have to cannibalise, look out for a battered bargain at a show or else work out how to cast some replica wheels.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's taken me almost two months to check if the wiring work done in January was OK. Luckily about 95% of it was, but there were a few circuits left accidentally open, a loose wire or two and a couple of other issues, all of which have been cleared up over the last two days.

The panel switch for the spur off the turntable had to be sacrificed as I needed another wire running through the power looms between the Paseo control panel and the layout, and used the spur's connection as this track has been virtually unused in the years since the layout was first built. It then occurred to me that the spur could be fed off the turntable feed with a switch semi-concealed by the forge's coal pile. I need to touch in some ground damage, but the idea works fine. This may be the way forward, at least for smaller control panels, which may be planted in the scenery rather than on separate panels. I'll see how things look once the layout progresses further.

Last edited by giles b on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the turntable siding doesn't get used why not make a feature of it as disused siding?

Rusty rails, weeds and litter, and a red flag stuck in the ballast to prevent access from the turntable.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point, Bob. The siding is a "just in case" provision, giving a potential hidey hole for an unexpected loco that cannot be sent down to the depot at San Juan as there are no spare paths in the traffic pattern. With the possibility of more railcars this could be useful. It had been intended to stable the Norte's diesel on excursion days, but the spur is a tiny bit too short. Now might be the time to extend it.

It was a very simple addition, only taking ten minutes, and the baseboard was tipped up for maintenance anyway, so getting underneath was not a problem.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good day out at the Wealden show yesterday particularly as far as Isla Blanca purchases were concerned. I bought a couple of cheap(ish) diesels from a friend on the French Railway Soc. They are not really good enough for shunting, but should run OK for use as railcars once they've had a bit of tlc.

Today a package arrived with some fleabay purchases from last week - three Matchbox lorries. Two have a missing wheel and/or other cosmetic damage but all are repairable. There is another similar lot due in a few days with the capability of swapping wheels around - or so I thought. Now I think I see a cunning plan coming over the horizon.

It looks like the van will fit over the Jouef chassis (which is rubber-band driven) while the BP tanker looks promising on the Lima chassis - though the Dremel will be out to open up the bottom of the body to fit the pancake motor inside. In both cases the original weights will need replacing with some sheet lead stuck inside the metal bodies, which should be at least as heavy as the original weights. I can remove the black lorry chassis easily enough so that the bodies will sit on a flat deck added to the motorised chassis.

So, out of this we might have another runabout for track inspection or the movement of light stores, and a self-propelled weed-killing rail-motor - inspired by a similar conversion on one of the layouts at the show. This featured an old BEC tramcar chassis, but a generally similar conversion should be possible.

In passing, I note that the BP tanker has left-hand drive, where the other Yesteryear models are right-hand drive. In this normal, does anyone know? I see that the serial number is not displayed under the tank lorry.

The third van in the package is a Talbot in need of a new rear door (easy in styrene). By chance, I happened to walk past a mushroom tray marked "Help Yourself- Free" at the show and saw the breakdown van, pictured above, which didn't stay there much longer. Also taken was a self-printed factory wall with a partially low relief finish. May be useful, after modification to suggest the Este workshops alongside the turntable at San Juan.

Edit: Later: the blue van's body came off easily, just three rivets to drill out. It, too, will need a little internal floor cutting out, but it won't take much to fit it to the new motorised chassis. After a little oil the Lima chassis is running extremely freely. It moves slowly at about 10% power, while no more than 20% is a good line speed. The Jouef one is a lot steadier, but both run well with the weight of the die-cast bodies resting on top.

Suddenly, that spur off the turntable at Puerto Paseo is starting to make sense.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheels came off............the blue van's chassis quite easily, so the Talbot is no longer a three-wheeler! Postie came yesterday while I was out so I have to go down to the sorting office today to pick up what I think will be a second package of Yesteryear models in need of chopping, mending or re-painting. Will post pictures and thoughts on their futures when I've seen them.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new vehicles are quite promising, Granted there are some missing bits and in one case substantial damage (expected), but 5 out of 6 are only lacking a decent paint finish and perhaps some detail tweaks. The last could just be a source of wheels, but there is a possible kit-bash repair to be done
The first four are the best with an oil tank lorry, which might end up with a flat-bed body, and two early sports cars. Not quite sure what to do with the Landaulette - possibly a light van.

Next is a bus (Rolls Royce, no less), which can be posed in the station yard ready to take train passengers out to the surrounding villages. It needs destination boards to hide the broken luggage rack.

The last is the worst example, but might become a light van using the box-body from a plastic model T that was cannibalised a long time ago.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The look to aim for with the Yesteryear conversion. This is one of the Majorca Railways road delivery lorries photographed in the early 1970s in the derelict roundhouse at Palma.

The little railcar in the background was used by the General Manager to commute from his home in Arta, at the far end of the line, to his office in Palma. It was built in the Soller Railways workshops and was a copy of their inspection car.

Last edited by giles b on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the yesteryear model be converted into a pick-up, or flat bed, instead of a van?

This would give an opportunity for some fine detailing to lift the old casting a bit?
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it probably could, Alastair, but the van body does fit it to a T.

My current thoughts are that the BP tanker will probably become a pick-up or flatbed, and the Castrol one will be the railway version as it lacks a steering wheel. The landaulet might also become a flatbed truck, and the breakdown truck might lose its crane.

I suspect I've collected too many cars and vans and think the decision or what goes where will have to wait until a couple more baseboards have been built and the models posed to see how much road traffic the space will accommodate. As Bob says, we don't want the line to be driven to closure by road competition Smile
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on a friend's blog. It's a must for fans of railways in tropical climates and ticks all the boxes: narrow gauge; bags of character; idiosyncratic operating methods; exotic setting; interesting rolling stock.

Although it appears to be 600mm gauge, it's a world away from a Welsh slate railway. In fact it made me think of a certain trans-Andean line not unknown on this website, and may be not unlike the as yet un-modelled Tranvia de Trinidad from Isla Blanca.

Think 009 and try not to be tempted Laughing

http://unnycoombelala.blogspot.com/2019/03/burma-mines.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: