FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WILLIN FORD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willin Ford started life many years ago as a shunting plank come test track. At the time of building it the local model shop had closed so I had to get Hornby small radius points from a local toy shop.
They looked fine but to my mind didn’t perform very well, with very long plastic dead frogs and geometry that some of my locos didn‘t like. Locos both steam and diesel had to be run very slowly over the points because they tended to derail if care was not exercised. I thought many times they’ve got to go, when I get the time and inclination. Needless to say being lazy I did nothing, but at a show last year while exhibiting Two Sister’s Farm I bought three second hand Peco setrack points for £4.50 and put them aside.
Last Friday I decided to take the old Hornby ones out and replace them with the Peco ones. As I wanted to use as much of the existing track as I could it meant care in lifting the old points out. It took much of Saturday to take the points out doing the minimum of damage. The ballast being especially hard to clean off the base board ready for the new points and track. After a lot of fiddling I got the new points in place and tested. The improvement in the running of both steam and diesel locomotives was incredible. No more stalling or extra care needed when shunting rakes of wagons. I will do some more testing just to make sure, then paint and ballast the track.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a little more work on the re-laid track, it is now ballasted and roughly painted, it still needs a bit more work. I have also modified the back scene which I have never been very happy with. It is a work in progress as I like to add a bit at a time as I do with ground cover. I am trying to get a more Forest of Dean feel to the model, so I have re-located a bit further south from Ludlow which was the model‘s original location.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a few pictures at a recent running session featuring my Lima GWR railcar, which growls a bit when running but runs surprisingly well. I think given its age it is a very good model with a well detailed body, the only improvement would be a more modern motor and flush glazing and wire handrails.
It is seen arriving with an empty van and stopping to let the passengers alight.
The van is then uncoupled and the railcar runs round it using the loop, having run round the van it is pushed into the back siding to be loaded. The railcar runs back into the station and the passengers get on and the railcar sets off back to the terminus.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a tiny bit more work on the forest back scene and think I will leave it for the time being, and possibly come back to it later.
The next running session I photographed featured the first train of the day, which is usually an auto train. This train is always well patronised in both directions, with workers from town coming to work in to the local industries and office workers from Willin Ford going into town. With a twenty minute turn around time the loco always takes the opportunity to fill up with water while waiting before returning on its return trip.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more typical of the sort of train seen in the Forest of Dean, a 57xx no 3711 running bunker first arriving at Willin Ford with a few empty mineral wagons from the junction. The engine stops in the loop and uncouples from the wagons and runs forward to the water tower to replenish its tanks.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the tanks now full the engine runs round the empty wagons in the loop and couples up to the Toad brake van. This is uncoupled and pulled back across the points then pushed forward into the other leg of the loop, where the handbrake is wound on. The engine then backs out and the points are changed, she goes forward and buffers up to the rake of empty minerals standing in the station loop. The engine is coupled to the wagons and pulls them out of the loop. She stops and the points are changed so she can back her train up to the brake van waiting in the loop. She couples to the brake van then pulls the train away to the quarry to be filled with stone chippings that will be used for road surfacing.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small prairie arriving at Willin Ford with a B set, a typical western branch line train. Having arrived the engine uncouples and runs forward to replenish its water tanks.

Peter M
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 4545 then runs back past the coaches in the loop so it can couple onto the other end. Once coupled up and a vacuum of 21 inches obtained the driver awaits the guard’s whistle and then sets off for the junction.

Peter M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: