FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian National Paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philhendry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Canadian National Paint Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Not sure which forum to post this in, so thought safest to post in the 'catch-all' forum! I hope that's okay.

I mostly model Japanese railways in N but, in true MTI fashion, I like the idea of 'dabbling' in all sorts of prototypes.

I've been interested in Canadian trains for a long time, and have acquired a few bits and pieces. I'm intending to build a micro-layout (in N) at some point in the not too distant future. It'll be mostly CN, because that's the road that interests me most. With that in mind, I am looking into buying one of Kaslo Shops' SD60F cowl-body kits - to fit an Atlas SD60 chassis. I can easily get hold of the kit, the chassis, and transfers (from Micro-Scale), but where I'm really struggling is paint. I need to source some:

CN Orange #11 (used for cabs, body rear);
CN Grey #17 (used for striping, handrails, lettering, etc).

I've tried a variety of sources across the pond, but none are able to ship any to the UK (postal regulations is the usual excuse). I'm getting a bit desperate!

Anyone know where I can get some in the UK please?

Thanks,
Phil
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Paint supplies Reply with quote

Hi Phil, you can get genuine US/Canada paints but only the acrylic water-based types. Try Mac's Model Railroading model shop near Glasgow, website is www.macsmodels.co.uk and online order service 2nd to none.
Regards Jordan F.
philhendry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jordan,

I've never used Mac's MR for mail order, though I have bought things from them at the Scottish show at the SECC once or twice. Acrylics are fine - in fact if anything I prefer them to spirit-based paints. I'll give Mac's a ring next week.

Cheers,
Phil
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're welcome! I have managed to get Floquil spirit based paints into the UK from the US, and they are far superior to the likes of Railmatch for instance. I got them through eBay from private sellers, who fortunately didn't write PAINTS in large glow-in-the-dark writing on the customs forms!!! Laughing Macs must have good stocks of paints too 'cos they didnt even have to order what I wanted from US.
Jordan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: