FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New topic sites on this Forum??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: New topic sites on this Forum?? Reply with quote

I've just spent this evening over on the RMWeb Forum (got there from a link posted on this forum originally!!) and there's a few of us MTI men there now it seems- it's an interesting forum BUT it's just so big!! Shocked
My favourite bits on it are the Layouts & Whats on my Workbench topics, but somehow much of it seems very un-like what we like in MTI- smaller layouts, less rivet-counting, more non-British prototypes... well that's what I like in MTI, so would it be possible to set up sites for these topics here??
It would be a good way to show the influence MTI is having on our interests & modelling activity too- I'm currently building a US O-scale Terminal line directly influenced by Minimo (MTI #54) and the real Ballard Terminal (MTI#55), but it's going to be a long time before I have anything worthwhile to put into MTI as an article, but I'd still like to post some pics of it for you all to see, but on the RMWeb I don't think either the concept or the standard of modelling would be appreciated (you could hear the howls of hooting derisive laughter Embarassed ).
It would take our forum here up a gear too I think- there's only so much can be said about each MTI issue & the individual issue posts seem to come up later than we get the Mag (apart from Gene Kruger poor lad) so specific comments to issues tend to come up first here in the Bar. What does anyone think & can it be done? Then, of course I'll have to learn just how to post my pics!!!.... Embarassed
Piermaster

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Jordon,

I have to disagree with you on this one. RMWeb is a very big forum that looks difficult to manage and a lot of personal feelings are aired which puts people off, it appears to be used mainly as a 'slagging centre' where there is more bitchiness there than in the female section of Battersea Dogs Home! There are some constructive and useful sections in RMWeb, but you really have to look hard for them.

Please let our MTI forum and RMWeb go their different ways. I would dread to see this forum go the way of RMWeb - duplication is the last thing we need here.

Cheers,
Dave.
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes Dave- God Forbid we end up with all that nonsense over here- it was just the two sites for showing your layouts & models I was thinking of as a place we could post our sort of work here without resorting to The Bar all the time where stuff easily gets buried after a few more postings. It could even be just one place- 'Layouts & Models' on the menu. Forget all the other lists they have like Product Review & Model Shops & DCC and as for Wheeltappers & Shunters.....
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan - a USA layout in O scale from an earlier incarnation of RMWeb
soon coming to a magazine near you
http://www.rmweb2.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=203&SearchTerms=layout
....but be quick because that site will be closing very shortly!
Jack
...and to give you a taster

Versif

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a layout section would be good. It could show colour photos of layouts that have appeared in the magazine as well as works in progress that such as the one that you are building F-Unitmad.

As for RMWeb, there is a very simple solution to avoid conflict. Simply don't bother reading or posting to the general or the wheel tappers and shunters sections. The Help, layout challenge, workbench and layout forums are generally very productive. The others may also be OK but as they largely deal with UK prototypes, models and the like I find them less useful.

I've found everyone on the Help etc. forums very helpful and not at all confrontational. The other two forums have a mix of very helpful through to idiots and bigoted. Just like real life really Smile

The Fazer motorbike forum that I'm on has a very polite and well behaved general section. Must be something about model railroads that brings out the rivet counters Laughing To be fair I've been on other forums and they can be similar so I don't think there is anything unusual about RMWeb. Overall I think it is a good site with lots of useful information, helpful people and some excellent ideas.
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Layout taster Reply with quote

Sorry Jack- looks like it's closed already (Sunday pm)- I can't get anything on that link. Which mag will it be in? Oh & I need a bib- that's such a taster I'm drooling.... Embarassed
Funny enough I tried to bid for one of these SOO switchers on US Ebay recently but the seller wouldn't post outside USA. Once the auction had finished I sent him a Very Happy very polite eMail to let him know he could've got more for his model IF he'd let me bid because I was prepared to pay more than the winning bid.... Laughing Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: False Alarm!! Reply with quote

Sorry again Jack!!! Tried the link one last time & Bingo!!! Drooling bib now soaked!!! I THINK I've saved it okay to my documents (as opposed to just saving the link) & printed it out too for good measure.
As for my dumb Q- What mag?? well of course he says & all I can say is "D'OH!!" Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed I should've guessed!! Especially when I saw he's a Brit... as I read it I thought the traverser looked too British an idea & not something our US friends would be likely to use (no offence!!).
Cheers, Jordan. PS As the moderator what are your thoughts on this post's idea Jack, if you don't mind me asking??
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan - It has possibilities and I shall have a chat with the webmaster
Re Taylor Terminal2 -Possibly the near future- but not sure at the moment.
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner rather than later it appears!! Thanks for listening Jack & Emrys- now I've got to get my camera out & see if I can upload pics as well- that advice to Piermaster meant blah blah blah to me too.... Embarassed
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As requested - 2 new Topics - <On my Workbench> and <Layout tours>

To post photos - Put the photos on your desktop
go to http://www.imageshack.us/
go to [browse] and sellect the photo to upload
hit [Host it] and wait for next page to come up
then highlight and Edit/copy the very last line
go back to the forum -hit reply -select [img] then
[Edit/paste] and select [/img] again

Add any words, and [submit]
The brother of one of your parents is called Robert
Genetk44

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you can't get Imageshack to work for you (i couldn't) then try http://photobucket.com/ Very Happy

Cheers
Gene
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks Jack- will try that soon as I can- As I suggested these posts I think I'd better post something!!! Very Happy Won't be today though- at work tonight, off for a kip soon....
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry- & thanks Gene- your post must've loaded while I was doing that last reply. Have just tried Photobucket & signed up- it looks Idiot-proof but I'll no doubt dis-prove that at some point!!! Laughing Embarassed
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that the new format of the forum looks much better. In "Article Discussions" you ask for an alternative name, the one it's got seems quite descriptive. Smile

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: