FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duncan's Mine - Update May 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad the extended sector plate worked. Itís something I ought to do on Two Sisterís Farm. Smile

You mention you have an SP GP18 and canít use it on a model set in North Michigan. This is just a thought and it might horrify you. Why not do what the Yolo shortline in Sacramento did with an ex SP GP7 simply paint out the SP lettering and add your own shortline. I have a DVD featuring this locomotive and the painting out has been done very roughly. The Yolo lettering being stencilled on in white paint.

Itís just a thought Steve. Itís always a talking point at exhibitions as well. Smile

Peter
steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst operating the layout at the Goole show today, it occurred to me that a short extension at the non-sectorplate end would go down very nicely.

The only question is, should it be scenic or just a fiddle end?

Hmmm...this will need some thought...

steve
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much more traffic potential to be had from an off stage area, also empties in - loads out operation. Cool

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you short of room at the inner end of the present yard? If so, I'd advise making the extension scenic. On Lazy River I started out with fiddle tracks instead of the end of the station run-round, but found operations much more fun/interesting when I made the extension scenic (and gained another four industries in the process).
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you achieve the 'slightly weathered' look on the corrugated building right on the Fiddle Yard end of the model? It gives a good 'used' feel without being overdone.

I'd forgotten all about this thread, and I was just about to lay track on 'Spitzenwald' Now I'm thinking how a (semi) pointless layout woud feel much more spacious and allow longer trains...
steve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob & Giles,

Will definitely be making an extension but I think it will just be a 'blind' fiddleyard. Giles, I see your point about a scenic extension but I think it might spoil the basic simplicity of the layout.

Andy,

The original structure was sprayed with a rattle-can in matt aluminium and the 'rust' patches were several shades of Games Workshop brown, brushed on, using a flat brush with upward strokes. I tried to go with the seams where rust/dirt would be most likely to gather.

Hope the new project goes well!

steve
steve

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of adding a small extension to the far end of the layout. Just 9 inches, enough to make a usable 'fiddleyard.

The "story" is that the DMC (Duncan's Mine Corporation) have built a new loading facility up the line from the old one that can handle more traffic. The existing loader is to be decommissioned and abandoned.

This gives me a new modelling challenge for the loader, to board up the windows and generally make it look out of use.

I'll take some pics and, hopefully with Jack's help, post some here. I'll also be scribbling a fuller explanation in an article for MTI.

steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: